Author Topic: Why isn't there a BOM category for board bows  (Read 8028 times)

Offline SA

Re: Why isn't there a BOM category for board bows
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 01:50:48 pm »
I like it the way it is too, all i have built are board bows so far :) Its for fun right ? makes me want to build more bows, have them seen and critiqued by others so i can build better bows . I think josh does a good job w/ bom too.
sa,
Shawn Acker

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 02:16:51 pm »
 I like it the way it is. I know in the past, the idea of  new categories was struck down primarily because it would get too complicated and would be too much work for Don. I think it would also be more than what Josh would want to take on.

If there were any changes made, I'd like to see sinew and rawhide backed bows moved to Laminates like Jesse. After all, the only difference in a sinew backed bow and a horn bow is a thin strip of horn on the belly.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 05:59:27 pm »
The reasoning we had in keeping sinew backed and rawhide backed bows along with the selfbows is that they are just as easily made with hand tools as a selfbow, just an extra step.  Not so with a hard backed bow.  Very hard to make one of those with just hand tools.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 08:24:45 pm »
The reasoning we had in keeping sinew backed and rawhide backed bows along with the selfbows is that they are just as easily made with hand tools as a selfbow, just an extra step.  Not so with a hard backed bow.  Very hard to make one of those with just hand tools.
Yeah I guess it would take a bit longer to use only hand tools but any bow could be made with hand tools. Composite bows were made for centuries with hand tools as well. I dont see what the construction method has to do with the end result. If you cut out a selfbow with a bandsaw its easier but its still a selfbow. No matter how many times its explained to me it doesn't make sense. I think the bottom line is that those who make sinew and rawhide backed bows dont want to be in the same group as laminates. Which I can understand :) I dont like the term laminate. Sounds like a glass bow but it still doesnt make a sinew backed bow a selfbow :)  Self bow = a bow made from itself and nothing else. Composite bow = a bow made from more than one piece of material.  Thats how I see it anyway. Maybe it should be selfbows and composites as the two categories.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 08:33:18 pm »
It is possible to make a hard backed bow with just hand tools, I know because I've done it. 

I can see how someone with a rawhide backed bow may not want to be lumped in with the backed bows but a sinew backed bow can be an impressive piece of work and as far as I'm concerned can easily go head to head with a hard backed bow

In any case if you really want it changed then you could start a poll to see how many people agree

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Jesse

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 09:11:16 pm »
It is possible to make a hard backed bow with just hand tools, I know because I've done it. 

I can see how someone with a rawhide backed bow may not want to be lumped in with the backed bows but a sinew backed bow can be an impressive piece of work and as far as I'm concerned can easily go head to head with a hard backed bow

In any case if you really want it changed then you could start a poll to see how many people agree
Nah I dont care that much ;D Just giving my opinion :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 09:31:36 pm »
I agree that this isn't a perfect system, but it was the most perfect we could come up with. What would be really cool is if we could separate every bow into a category that perfectly describes the type of bow it is. We could have a selfbow category for white woods, one for heartwoods and one for exotics because there is absolutely a difference. Then we would separate the snakeskin backed bows according to thickness of the skin because one kind could work better to hold down splinters. It would be a lot easier to vote also since we would have 35 bows in 35 categories and since each bow would be by itself it would be the best in that category.

BOM started with one category. As it evolved we added a second category because of the number of bows. The categories were separated along some imaginary line in an attempt to give every bow a chance, to put them in categories with bows they could be reasonably compared with. We are trying not to compare apples and oranges, but we have a basket that also includes grapefruit, pomegranates, tangerines, and kiwi.  I'm not trying to patronize anyone, but you can see that there would be issues with any system. We encourage everyone with ideas on how to improve BOM to speak up, but please don't take it personal if it is decided that your idea is not practical. The funny thing is that voting is still a personal choice that is very subjective. The bows that perform the best or the bows that are the most primitive often loose out so all the categories in the world still leave it as a personal preference.

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

half eye

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 01:11:40 am »
I'm sort of with Jesse, because most bows fall into only 3 categories not 35 or so. There are self bows, backed bows (anything glued to the back for protection, power, or what ever reason) and laminate or composition bows that are made of various and usually dissimilar material. Just about every bow will fall into one of those 3 categories.

I like to carve my bows, and some on the site dont even consider them "real" bows. They are though, they pull respectable weight, have good longevity, and make what I consider a nice lookin bow. Personaly I dont need a competition to find value in my efforts. I build bows because I like to and choose to. For me, it's that simple. I do like to post them for people to see, but dont believe it's about mines' better than yours, it's about maybe giving folks some ideas.

BOM was set up by the original site folks, so I guess ya got the choice of going along and entering or opting out, no harm....no foul. I will keep making bows I like and hopefully so will everyone else, and bom will get along just fine with the fellas that think it's a cool deal. Doesn't make any sense to keep pouring salt in the cut.....it is what it is.
rich

Offline elk country rp

this pot needs some stirring!
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 02:28:43 am »
now that ya mention it, i wouldn't mind seeing hornbows seperated from wood bows in some way....... oh wait, that's just my insecurity talkin (it does seem like the hornbows SPANK the wood lams every time!)  ;)    :P   >:D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: this pot needs some stirring!
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 08:41:33 am »
now that ya mention it, i wouldn't mind seeing hornbows seperated from wood bows in some way....... oh wait, that's just my insecurity talkin (it does seem like the hornbows SPANK the wood lams every time!)  ;)    :P   >:D

Been that way since day one

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: this pot needs some stirring!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 09:53:35 am »
The selfbows always spanked the laminated or backed bows also, that was a significant reason why we divided where we did.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 10:16:40 am »
I'm sort of with Jesse, because most bows fall into only 3 categories not 35 or so. There are self bows, backed bows (anything glued to the back for protection, power, or what ever reason) and laminate or composition bows that are made of various and usually dissimilar material. Just about every bow will fall into one of those 3 categories.
Would that throw snakeskins in with backed bows? It seems that we would be leaving only bare undecorated selfbows in a category by themselves.
That still leaves horn bows with wood multilams, something that doesn't settle well with most of us. It also leaves bows built with stone tools bunched together with machine built bows. I think the biggest request we get is to have a category for ABO bows so we would have to have at least 5 categories and someone would still feel slighted because they didn't like the category they got put in. 

Doesn't make any sense to keep pouring salt in the cut.....it is what it is.
rich
Actually, it is what it is for now. The change to two categories was suggested by members so don't think all suggestions aren't considered. We do have to have enough bows to make any idea practical. This month there were only a few laminated/composite/backed bows so splitting doesn't make sense at all. More categories means more time for Josh and more money to print the magazine. The cost of printing would have to be passed along to the subscriber which is something nobody wants to see, especially in this economy.

SW Utah

kinkfeather

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 08:41:29 pm »
i am a newbie to this site.i love making board bows.i do not care what class it is in.i build all my bows by hand tools.josh does a great job an i thank him for his work.ken has helped me alot an i thank him for his knowledge.this is the best place to come for help an meet new people.thnaks alot again for this web site.kink

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 08:47:54 pm »
Snake only adds looks. I'd put it in with the selfbows. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 09:07:00 pm »
Snake only adds looks. I'd put it in with the selfbows. :) Jawge
Thanks George, that is kind of how we figured it. I was just curious because Rich said "(anything glued to the back for protection, power, or what ever reason)."

We call all see how muddy the water is and how impossible it would be to address all the issues to everyones satisfaction. We welcome any suggestions, but it wouldn't make sense to make changes that make Josh's job more difficult unless it significantly improves BOM.

SW Utah