Author Topic: Why isn't there a BOM category for board bows  (Read 8029 times)

half eye

Re: Why isn't there a BOM category for board bows
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 10:33:27 pm »
You are missinterpreting what I was trying to say. I was simply trying to convey that archery bows are generally accepted as falling into those 3 categories, that is self, backed, and composite. That is all. Bows are either self, have a backing attached, or they are a compliation of various different materials. The other point I was trying to make is that the contest as it is, was set up by you guys.....it can be any way you want it to be, everyone knows what the rules are and those who wish to compete can, and those who dont can opt out, nothing more. "....it is what it is". My statement about the salt in the cut was aimed at all the arguements over the same topic when the contest is allways going to be what you fellas say it is.....thats not a comment on right or wrong descisions, just that you make the rules and everyone knows what they are, nothing more

Fellas ya can say what ever you want to....but fact is that a snake skin glued to a bow makes it a backed bow just like silk backed, or linen backed ......I never said it shouldn't be in "self bows" just that it is a backed bow. Just a statement of fact, not a comment on right or wrong.
rich

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 10:55:30 pm »
goodies, i need goodies !.... i only wish we could bring more people to vote if i remember right the last one had 80 votes or so , thats a tiny percent of 3632 members.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 11:03:11 pm »
You are right Rich, neither right or wrong. I was just trying to clarify your feelings, I meant nothing by it. I don't think snake is quite the same as silk, but I also don't think a horn composite is anything like a wood composite.  I too think BOM could be improved, I just cant any practical way to do it. That is why we welcome all suggestions.

Ken, that is the dilemma we have tried to resolve for years. The most I ever remember seeing was almost 130 votes in selfbows, and less than 100 in laminates. Of course of the 3600 members, some have only created accounts and never come back, but we have a lot more than 130 members that participate on a regular basis.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 11:07:25 pm »
 Rich? When you say, "You fellas"' do you mean everybody that voted on how BOM was set up? And Ken, you are right, more people need to vote. But isn't that how life is? Some vote and live with the outcome of the majority of the voters.And some complain about how it comes out, but they didn't take time to vote.

Rich, I will side with you on some snake backings, like Pythons and other exotics. I've seen some tougher than rawhide. I have exotic lizard belly skin that is tougher than most leather.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:11:39 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 12:13:19 am »
I have exotic lizard belly skin that is tougher than most leather.

Hmmm, there is that Australian lizard known as the "land mullet"...could this be???? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.