Author Topic: What to do with scrap flakes ?  (Read 6416 times)

Offline nocams

What to do with scrap flakes ?
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:23:33 am »
HI Guys,
well me and Mason are starting to knap pretty regular now and wanted to know everyone's setup at home ? I am concerned about all the scrap flakes. Been knapping in the garage with a drop cloth around us and then tossing scraps over the bluff, we live on a mountain. Is that what everyone else is doing ? If we knap in the yard I guess we could do the same otherwise I would have flat tires on the mower ! I think when we are in the garage we need to keep a fan behind us too to blow the airborne dust away from us ?

Offline aaron

Re: What to do with scrap flakes ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:48:53 am »
it's better to landfill them than toss 'em off a mountain- that way no future archaeologist will be confused by what they find....
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 12:30:13 pm »
I have a pit that I bury flakes in. I also mix some modern glass in with so nobody gets confused in the future.  Some of my chips have sharpie marker marks on them and some are slab-cut pieces and that should help any archaeologist worth his salt to figure things out pretty quickly.

One friend of mine used his in his driveway, but I think that might damage tires.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:07:47 pm »
I dump them over my little bank...Its where I throw all my twigs rocks etc... Some folks just bury them.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 03:25:57 pm »
i take and duck tape them to a beer can thats filled with black powder once i get it the size of a football i light it and toss it to the neighbors dog that never shuts up....
Ok i don't do that but have thought about it allot and shooting the dog with poison tipped blow gun darts or with my bow. Maybe cut a small hole in the fence and set up a snear.. hmmm
 Ok ok i want kill the dog. I have a huge pile of flakes in my back yard and no idea what I'll do with them when i go to sell this place :)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 03:48:24 pm »
i take and duck tape them to a beer can thats filled with black powder once i get it the size of a football i light it and toss it to the neighbors dog that never shuts up....
Ok i don't do that but have thought about it allot and shooting the dog with poison tipped blow gun darts or with my bow. Maybe cut a small hole in the fence and set up a snear.. hmmm
 Ok ok i want kill the dog. I have a huge pile of flakes in my back yard and no idea what I'll do with them when i go to sell this place :)

:D :D ;D ;D ;D   ^^^Good stuff.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 05:21:13 pm »
I have a small mountain of chips  ;D piled next to the shop, and several other spots on the place. Only had one kid to complain and need a bandaid ::). Or, you could box em up and ship em to billy ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 05:42:41 pm »
I have a small ravine running thru property,  I haven't filled it yet but I have only been knapping 4 yrs. ;D I got a pretty good pile debitage going.  Bob

Offline nocams

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 07:02:01 pm »
Jesse, take five and have a beer bud ! My father-in-law had a name for antifreeze..... he called it, " Dog no more " . However, I would never do that, what a cruel death !

Yep, we been knapping in the driveway too, it is 3/4 mile long and gravel. I was just afraid of cutting car tires and my own dog's paws ? Might build us a sandbox type pit out of pressure treated wood so we got a pit sorta like Pappy's. If we see the dogs near it we can shew them out of there.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 07:27:51 pm »
well i keep alot of my "waste flakes"
if its big enough to crunch a small flake from i keep it
anything else goes int ot my garbage and i let the city dispose of it for me
i done worry about future archeologist finding it,what 10000 yrs from now
so by that time it will be considered ancient no matter who did it

as far as the anti freeze thing goes with animals(or even people)
very very bad way to die
if you ingest it(at doesnt take all that much)it will cause your kindeys to shut down(and other organs)
its a painfull agonizing death
ive seen people put dishes of it out for the rabbits and squirrels to drink here in town
when you see one dieing from it,you will never do it
an arrow is much quiker and much more human way to go
beside dog makes for a good meal  ;)
why taint it with antifreeze
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 07:49:57 pm »

You may have to come to my neighborhood sometime... ::)  There are a few around here that need to have an accident.  It is not so much that I hate dogs, I just hate the owners who haven't taught them any manners of how to behave. >:(  Nothing makes me madder than an endlessly barking dog whose owners are oblivious to the noise.

There was one guy who lived near my parents who had a mindless barking dog that wouldn't shut up.  My Dad called the guy with the barking dog at 3:30 in the morning and barked into the phone, which got his attention & he shut the animal up.

I would never poison anything, but I thought about a time or two.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 08:23:30 pm »
anyone heard of or used that fake bird house that puts outs a supper sonic noise when darks bark? only the dogs can hear it and it makes them shut up.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 10:30:43 pm »
Put them in  the creek way at the back of the property so I can mess with archeologists in  the future. >:D >:D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 10:51:06 pm »
Traveling salesman steps outa the car and the feller on the porch sics the dog on him.  Guy jumps back in the car and the dog is called off, feller laughs and say's "Just funnin' with ya, come on up!"  Salesman gets out again, feller sics the dog again, and the salesman jumps back in his car.  Feller on the porch slaps his thigh, laughs some more, and hollers out, "Sorry, couldn't resist!  Now come on up on the porch, lets talk."  As the salesman gets out for the third time he has a revolver in his hand.  The feller on the porch stops laughing, puts his hands up and says, "Don't shoot muh dawg, I was just funnin!"  Salesman says, "I wasn't going to shoot the dog, the dog doesn't know better."

anyone heard of or used that fake bird house that puts outs a supper sonic noise when darks bark? only the dogs can hear it and it makes them shut up.

My folks bought two of them, one on their side of the neighbor's yard and a Christmas present to the nieghbors down the street on the other side of the folks with the barking dog.  Seems to have worked.  Now they gotta find something for the nieghbor's loud car. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 12:00:16 am »
my be woth the 60 bucks. hmmmmmm
Mililani Hawaii