Author Topic: Selfbows or glass bows, or both?  (Read 8322 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Selfbows or glass bows, or both?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 08:44:27 am »
I don't quite understand your reasoning,[ not much hunting ground so I will just hunt with a selfbow]It is like you are saying probably ant going to get a shot anyway. ??? I have hunted with all selfbows for around 15 years now,before that recurves and longbows , I don't feel the least bit handy caped by using my selfbows. I still own recurves/longbows/muzzler loaders and rifles just haven't seen the need to use them in years.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 08:57:21 am »
I'm with you Pappy, I dont understand the reasoning? I haven't shot selfbows for very long but as far as I can tell the effective range with one of those is the same as a glass bow. I couldn't justify getting rid of my glass bows because I lost hunting ground or something like that. I'm not going to judge the reasoning I just dont understand it. I like to have options when I go afield so I like being able to say, do I feel like taking a recurve or longbow? Or maybe my selbow today.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 09:36:18 am »
  Sorry guys. I think that i am just depressed about losing my hunting ground. I've lost a bunch of ground, and all thats just about left, is public ground. I know that public ground is good, in some areas, but you have to be careful that you don't get shot at possibly. It will be a new experience for me.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 10:57:51 am »
I know what you're saying Bentstick. For this situation I would just say, STOP, dont do anything let the depressed, down and out mood pass after a couple days and then re-evaluate. Don't do anything you'll regret later. Make the most out of it that you can. I used to hunt on a 23 acre postage stamp that had about 3 or 4 trails crossing it from bedding to water. Gun hunters on both sides made it really tough but I still got some opportunities. There's only so much you can control so you have to work with that best you can.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 12:04:17 pm »
I've hunted entirely with selfbows for two years, but recently started building glass bows. It's nice to have an abusable back up in wet, muggy weather, but I'm alot more comfortable with selfbows. Beleive it or not, I'm less afraid a selfbow is going to blow up on me than a glassy :D

Now if you'll excuse me, there's some hickory that needs some TLC :)

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 06:19:23 pm »
Yah Stingray, i have a bunch of gun hunters on the land that they are trying to run me off from. They are so arrogant. After the first shot gun weekend, you will find two to three deer carcusses, that they just took off the easy meat, then they just throw whats left, carcuss and all, in a field entrance roadway ditch, a couple miles down the road. Every year the deer carcusses are there. You drive by the carcusses the rest of the winter. That just gives the animal rights activist more power when those guys do this. This is what really ticks me off. A guy has to give up his hunting land to the drunks that don't care about anything.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 11:25:55 pm »
Man, where do you guys live? I hunt Missouri and Alabama each year both public and private. I am thankfull for the great opportunities on public land , bow season comes in before gun season so you have a fair chance.
I hunt with compound, selfbows, and vintage Bear bows. I like it all, don't do gun or crossbows but don't judge others who choose to.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 12:15:19 am »
N2huntin. Didn't mean to upset you. I am not judging others who gun hunt, they pretty much judge themselves, during gun season, fueling the anti-hunters, with their dumping of carcusses. I don't see any of this during bow season, before gun season. Only the first weekend of gun season. I pulled over last year and looked at three remains of deer, when a guy in a truck came up from behind me, shook his head in dis beleif. Not a good sight, at all. This kind of ignorance isn't helping our hunting heritage at all, just helping the anti's a little more.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 12:50:58 am »
I've shot / hunted with selfbows almost exclusively for the last decade.  I'll caveat that with the occasional glass bow shooting (Howard Hill) and using my flintlock in the gun season. To the OP, I can understand wanting to dump less-used gear in anticipation of bailing out or scaling back.  If frustration drives an all or nothing vibe and it is what is it is, then so be it.  I can understand that, so if you go for broke so to speak, then more power to you.  (Similar thoughts on my end lately, and I've posted up items on different activities.)  Ditch the glass and pay bills, throw into another interest, or save for a rainy day.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 02:38:51 am »
Bentstick81,
Do you have any proof of these gun hunters leaveing Carcasses like you wrote about?Because if you do,it is against the law in most places.Its called Wanton waste of Game meat,and it is a violation with consequences rangeing from Fines,Jail time,and definetely,loss of license and hunting rights.If you can prove it to a Warden,you may eliminate the competition for your hunting Land.

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 11:13:37 am »
 The carcusses have been there two years in a row. The problem is, i don't know what time of the day, or evening they are dumping them. I bet there will be some again this year. The reason i beleive that these guys are doing the dumping, is because we never had this problem before they came in and started gun hunting.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 12:54:44 pm »
The carcusses have been there two years in a row. The problem is, i don't know what time of the day, or evening they are dumping them. I bet there will be some again this year. The reason i beleive that these guys are doing the dumping, is because we never had this problem before they came in and started gun hunting.

Dunno about there, but here the Game Commission will usually have someone sit there if you can give names and vehicle descriptions to watch for, especially if you can at least give them a time frame (days of the week). If they've been doing it for years they'll be interested in bringing those guys in.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 02:48:31 pm »
you should set up some trail cams around the perimeter of the area to catch those guys.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 03:00:50 pm »
One of my favorite off the beaten path camping spots had some slob bowyers abandon 5 dear carcasses.  Only took the heads and one hind leg required to hold the tag.  I called the GF&P and they dispatched a great conservation Officer out of Custer, SD.  I helped him pull the 5 carcasses out and examine them.  All were shot with three blade arrows, all bucks.  Only one had backstraps removed, no other meat touched.  According to South Dakota law, as long as the game is tagged, you can do with it as you want, waste the whole damn thing if that is what trips your trigger.  The CO and I ag reed that law was BS!

But what he told me made me encouraged, he says if there is one segment of hunting society that is in a rut and will do the same thing year after year, it is the archery hunter.  He agreed to set trail cams on the site the next year to nail the buggers.  You see, they left a plastic tarp and some other trash along with the carcasses.  Littering and improper disposal of carcasses add up to big fines in National Forest Service land.  I strongly recommend you call the local game officer and ask he set up the trail cams.  The last thing the CO told me before he left, he stated he has 100% conviction rates on trail cam arrests, not a single one in 4 years went to trial.  Hehehehe, smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

We, the ethical, need to help the enforcement arms of the government if we are to save our deeply loved heritage.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.