Author Topic: Welcome to the New English War Bow Forum!  (Read 44495 times)

duffontap

Welcome to the New English War Bow Forum!
« on: April 27, 2007, 06:30:43 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I for one am bummed that englishwarbow.com/forum is down, but we sure don't need to disband.  We want this forum to allow the good discussions and research on the English Warbow forum to continue.  This is your place to discuss all subjects relevant to these fine, war-winning weapons. 

I'm really excited about this and I've got a brand new Yew warbow to get things rolling.  Hopefully I can get some pics up early next week.  Those of you coming from englishwarbow.com/forum should start showing off your bows here to the people who haven't had a chance to see them yet.  And I'll bet that PatB is furiously working on his Yew warbow right now. ;D

Spread the word everyone!

J. D. Duff

PS:  Primitive Archer has a few rules to keep in mind.  Check them out here:  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,95.0.html

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Welcome to the New English War Bow Forum!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 07:12:24 pm »
Hey JD you actually have time and energy to work on bows!?!! Cant wait to see the one you are building.

Also, going to work on a hickory backed elm warbow soon. What type of dimensions do you think I should aim for?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

duffontap

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 07:48:25 pm »
Hey David,

Yeah, I'm getting out to the shop plenty.  I just taught a class so I spent a bunch of time fiddling with my own projects.  I'm just finishing a nice little Mary-Rose-style warbow and I'm well on my way to building the Hedeby replica viking war bow.  I should have a dozen 2007 bows wrapped up by scouting season. ;D

76-80" long and 1 1/2- 1 5/8" wide should do it.  Don't worry if you get 2-3" of set with untempered Elm--long draws will still get some decent performance out of a warbow with substantial string follow.  Looking forward to seeing what you're building. 

J. D. Duff

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 07:59:16 pm »
I dont get as many finnished as you do but I will hopefully have the Modoc and the Elm Warbow done by summer. Planning on taking the Modoc on a boar hunt in Western WA in the fall. Think you might want to go? Its all tentative at the moment nead to talk to Dave Tinsley over at Camlann to find out where to go. Dave may go too.

Don't know if I want to try tempering the belly with a glue up. Think I may just live with the set.

You wouldn't happen to have any spare yew staves hanging arround the shop would you? One day when I get some time I will have to go look for Yew and Vine Maple.

Next up a nice little Hupa design. I'm really starting to like these short bows for hunting in the Northwest and the warbows for target and long range shots. Was shooting the 65# Hickory backed Yellow heart bow yesterday and I am really starting to like it. Tosses arrows better than I thought especialy know that I have figured my hold point out. Just to the back of my ear and then release. Much more accurate now. Just nead to figure out distances and I might actually hit the target instead of going over or under at 50 yards.  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 01:17:30 am »
Hey Josh. I'm happy for you. This is right up your alley. I believe it will open up some doors between PA and the war bow guys too.
   I'll post some more pics of my bow. Haven't done a bunch with it lately. I did put a couple of hours in last weekend and I'm ready to brace her. I mounted the horns last week so I'll put an extra groove in each tip and string her up. 
   Are you using dacron strings. If so, how many strands? The one I built for this bow has 16 I think.
  Well, I wish this new thread well. Looking forward to lots of cool war bows.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

duffontap

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 01:32:44 am »
Hey Pat,

I used a B-50 string with 20 strands on my first war bow.  At 110# it's too heavy for the string and it stretches terribly.  Almost everyone uses fast-flight strings.  B-50 works but it's a lot of stretch and it makes stringing the bow really hard.   :P  If you have some FF, it shouldn't be a problem to use it on a war bow.  Jaro says the 'fast-flight breaks bows' stuff is just a myth.  I tend to trust his judgement. 

Sorry I haven't gotten you pics of that stringer yet.  Sounds like it wouldn't help you now anyway if you've got the horn nocks on already. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Nuss

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 02:24:21 am »
I am so looking forward to this forum and please post all of the pictures that you can.
 I have plans to build my first English War Bow this summer. I have been wanting to for a long time and this summer is the time. I am going to need all of the help I can get.

Thank you,
 Tim
May your arrows fly true and your camp fires burn bright.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 10:10:29 am »
So is this going to be true English warbows, or warbows in general?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 01:55:49 pm »
I would say all warbows are welcome as long as people are clear what kind they are.  Sound ok to everyone? 

J. D. Duff

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 03:51:41 pm »
I think we need to keep mostly for English Warbows of all styles since they were mostly designed strictly for warfare. Most all other bows were designed for dual purposes of hunting and or warfare. The other Bows forum seems to be able to accomodate the other bow types. I think we also nead a place for this type of bow style to accomodate the people on the "English Warbow" site the no longer have a place to go.

David T

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 04:18:31 pm »
Looking forward to meeting some new folks and seeing thier bows. Welcome all.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 05:11:50 pm »
David, I don't think the other bows were really dual purpose.  Most primitive cultures had hunting weight bows of 40# and less and war bows in the high to extremely high weight.  The reason I ask is because laminated bows or hybrids are the best that most guys can do since they don't have access to premium yew. I don't care either way. I was just curious if it had to be English in style, or war bow by weight, or both, or are laminated bows allowed, or just self bows.  I don't want to influence the decision. Maybe if you can get a bunch of guys from the English Warbow site to weigh in it would and give their oppinion.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 05:20:22 pm »
Maybe if you can get a bunch of guys from the English Warbow site to weigh in it would and give their oppinion.  Justin
Hello,
Don't expect any meaningful concensus from us rabble, we never did before ;)
However,  here's my tuppence worth...
Seeing as it's primitive archer and historically English warbows were extensively (but not exclusively) selfbow that should be the primary thrust.
Jeremy

duffontap

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 12:46:53 am »
Jeremy's right, we'll never get a consensus on what an English warbow is.  This forum is intended to help fill the hole left by the closing of Englishwarbow.com/forum so the purpose should be similar.  I would welcome posts on any kind of war bow as long as they are not called something they are not and serve as contrast to the English design.  100# minimum!  (totally kidding about the minimum).   ;D  laminated bows are welcome in my book--just don't call them something they are not.

J. D. Duff

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 09:18:28 pm »
Yep! I agree. Simmilar to the Mary Rose design rounded belly that type of thing,