Author Topic: 72" yew war bow  (Read 55061 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
72" yew war bow
« on: April 28, 2007, 06:10:21 pm »
This is my war bow. The first few pics are from early on, shortly after initial shaping. The last 3 pics are where she stands now...except I have added horn nocks.   Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: 72" yew war bow
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 06:12:49 pm »
Looking good Pat. Get it done. I want to shoot it in Tennessee.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 06:19:50 pm »
It's coming with me. I may work on it there some. It needs to be done by the time I go to the NC Championships at Hickory, Memorial Day weekend. I'm gifting it to the guy that gave me the yew stave. This stave was too valuable for the trade we made so I'll make it up to him this way. He don't know yet. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 06:22:10 pm »
Dang Pat, I got a premium osage stave that I would love to make you that kind of trade on. Who knows, I might even get a functional bow that way.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 06:27:58 pm »
Justin you still bustin Yew bows????!!!!!???? How many does that make now?  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 06:28:26 pm »
Bring it on! ;D    Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 06:32:47 pm »
You know, Just being able to work on this beautiful premium yew stave was payment enough. There is no way I would(could) afford to pay for such a stave. I knew shortly after James gave it to me that it was going back to him when done.  ;)     Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 06:36:22 pm »
Justin you still bustin Yew bows????!!!!!???? How many does that make now?  ;D
Nope..... I havent busted a bow since the last time I busted a bow.  ;) Justin

SW Utah

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 07:19:54 pm »
Pat, the profile looks very much D. It should be oval. The edge of back should be somehow more round.

Jaro

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 07:25:36 pm »
Thanks Jaro. Can you show me a cross section? I will be removing more from the belly and that should make it more oval. I am not necessarily making this bow to a specific formula. I'm just making a heavy, yew bow. ;)  I intend to round the back edges once I'm near done.   A cross section view would show me how much.   Thanks,     Pat

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 07:43:08 pm »
The thing is that if Mary Rose bows werent ever found, the bowyers would be still making oversized victorian target bows and wonder where is the performance.

One of possibilities is this,you might round the edge of back even slightly more.

http://sweb.cz/hawkwind/elbprofile.JPG

I m making lots of longbows and the rule is - start with squared stave, then you work back down where you want it, make width taper based on the experience and then round back edges as necessary. Then use facet method for shaping the belly and tiler only the thickness to get good bent shape.

One of MR profile variations has little flats on sides of bow profile, which appears exactly when you do this - start with squared stave, round back edges and then belly and the profile emerges as on one of original bows.

Jaro

« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 07:50:38 pm by sagitarius boemoru »

Offline heavybow

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 12:25:23 am »
  Pat thats a nice bow marlon ;D

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 02:58:17 pm »
Have a look at these profiles from Hardy's book 'Longbow'. 
The top right is 42mm deep x 45mm wide (a monster).
Jeremy

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 03:02:59 pm »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 04:07:15 pm »
Thanks Jeromy. I have Hardy's book(and Pip's, "The Heritage of the Long Bow") and remember seeing those pics. I need to go back and read my long bow books again.
  My main problem I'm having is trying to follow directions for a war bow or true ELB. My usual bows are flat bows and I usually let the wood decide what the bow will be. Only on occasion do I start with a preconceived idea and work it out all the way through.  Also, knowing that I will never shoot this bow has an adverse effect on me. I will finish this bow and it will be beautiful. I'm pretty sure I won't try a war bow again. I love seeing them and am impressed with those who do make them and shoot them but it is just not my style. Thank you and Josh(JD Duff) for your help. I am very glad we now have a War Bow thread here on PA and hope to see and read a lot about the infamous war bows.   Pat