Author Topic: primary and secondary  (Read 23095 times)

Offline lowell

primary and secondary
« on: April 28, 2007, 10:16:52 pm »
I have been given some turkey wings and will be using them to fletch some rose shoot arrows.

Looking at them, I was wondering if it was ok to mix primaries and secondaries on the same arrow if they came from the same wing??

Like make the cock a primary with 2 secondaries or vicea versa. Yes, no, absolutely not?????

Thanks, Lowell
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: primary and secondary
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 10:21:47 pm »
I wouldn't, but if you have no choice, I'm sure it will be fine. The reason I woudn't is that the primamary feathers are stiffer. They will probably fly just fine, though.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

wanabehunter

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:35:53 am »
ive mixed them up and they fly as good as my other arrows :)

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 08:49:31 am »
Thanks guys.   

I have enough feathers to not have to mix them. The reason I asked was, the secondaries on the one bird were extra brown and thought it would look nice to use 2 secondaries and the primary for the cock.

I'm much more concerned with how they would fly than looks but if I could have both I'd be happy!!! :)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 10:06:22 am »
Yep, you'd be just fine, I just would want all of my feathers to be primary on my arrows. :)
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 10:11:20 am »
Cutting them a little shorter in height would probably help minimize the difference. Most of the secondaries I have used have a stiffer area closer to the quill then abruptly goes soft. If you use the stiffer part it will be closer to the primary, but still not as stiff.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 12:24:12 pm »
I wouldn't mix them unless I had to. As far as indicating the cock feather, I use the same color feathers for all 3. I use an indicator on the shaft itself to let me know, by feel, which way the arrow should be placed on the string but it really doesn't matter. Your arrow shoot as well with the cock feather in or out.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

MattE

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 09:48:51 am »
I use primarys but secondaries work fine on low poundage bows.They are not as nice looking as primaries and to soft for my use . Secondaries are also dull in color. In a pinch I would use them but would rather not.

jamie

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 05:46:12 pm »
wow you guys are picky. ive never even considered it. if it comes off a bird and is long enough it goes on the shaft. once there is blood on the feathers they all go flat. peace

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 06:14:40 pm »
But the important factor is before they get the blood on them.
         Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

MattE

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 07:29:59 pm »
Jamie, I am not very picky. Why I do not care for secondaries for fletching is I use to hunt with a 72# bow at my draw and secondaries were so soft that they would lay down and rob stabilization. Now that I think about it i can use them ,I can hardly pull back a 45#  bow now.:)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 08:10:22 pm »
  If you are worried about a cock feather.Next time you shoot turn your cock feather in,you will not see much difference to worry about.Also the secondaries are good for the single fletch arrows like Bob shoots,not as much curve.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 01:08:05 am »
On cane and shoot shafts if it don't shoot good one way just flip it over and try it again. Usually it will fly better unless it is totally out of whack. :o
   I use primary, secondary, tail feathers and have used some of the smaller feathers for a native 3 fletch with full, small feathers tied up side down around the shaft to form a 3 fletch. Heck, You can tie pine needles on the back of your arrows and make them fly well. ???   Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 08:29:53 am »
amen brother pat. lol

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 10:15:24 am »
Hey I bent a couple of store bought arras last night,(dont ask)whats the best way to straiten em?Auggie
laugh. its good for ya