Author Topic: Just for the record books...  (Read 24172 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Just for the record books...
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 10:58:28 pm »
I am sorry to hear that.  I hope you find him. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 11:39:15 pm »
how far you think a deer can go if a deer was hit in the upper lung and 7 inches deep
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 12:13:03 am »
how far you think a deer can go if a deer was hit in the upper lung and 7 inches deep

Depends on several factors.  Did both lungs get hit?  In your case I assume there's no way to know.  A deer can survive on one lung if a major blood vessel didn't get hit on the lung that was hit.  Even if it dies, it can go a very long way before it bleeds out, easily hundreds of yards.  On a perfect shot the deer is normally going to run for several seconds.   Most of my deer like that made it between 50 and 150 yards.  Sometimes they run in a circle or fall quicker than normal, but usually they make it out of sight.

Sometimes it just defies logic.  You make a perfect shot and the deer runs and runs.  I once shot a hog right in the butt (it turned when I shot) that only went 20 yards.  Weird.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 01:35:32 am »
7" penetration in the right area will put a deer down in 100 yards or less.   What broadhead are you using?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 05:33:10 am »
Flint arrowhead

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 08:37:37 am »
   If you hit your deer where you say you did, he's dead. Even if you hit alittle high and back you still it live. He'll die afer a couple hours. Your problems not hard to fix. It's perrty plain whats happening. I had a cousin that bow hunted with me a long time ago. and he had it easer than you. He shot a compound with sights. Out in the yard he was deadly. He was a new bebe either.I must have put him in a dozzen tree stands. And he must have missed a dozzen bucks and even does.
   It was simple he get exsited and shoot at the whole deer everytime. Your deffently doing the same thing. I've found out through the years through friends. Instentive shooters that have this problem shoot high mainly. At the last min. when you know your going to get a shot. Your eye see's the line of the deer's back. and thats where they shoot. And they shoot high. This is why there's so many spine shot deer. But it sounds like when you see the deer comeing you tell yourself pick a spot,pick a spot. But when you know your going to get a shot you lose it and only see the whole deer.
   This problem is fixable first you've got to over come your promlem (mentaly), And I'd bet you shoot at a dot. Get a deer target. AND as you shoot at it NO DOT pick a spot every shoot untill it comes second nature it's that simple. But remember you must do the mental part on the real thing. It's that simple I've helped a few others that had the same problem.
  I hate to say it but I know a guy thats been deer hunting (rifle) for 20 plus years every year. Who just can't get it together. And everytime as soon as brown hits the scope he shoots. And for some reason he always comes up for behind. And shoots most of his deer in the hind quarters. He got the name HIND QUARTER LEE years ago. Buck fever the same time happening to you.
   Hope yuo find your buck.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 02:24:34 pm »
A saying I always use is "aim small, miss small" stole it from the patriot with mel gibson but its very true. also, are you consistently shooting high? or low? or left? either way try to identify what exactly it is you are doing wrong and correct for it. 9 times out of 10 its the release that gets messed up. The release is single most important aspect of archery. Take your time and practice. You dont want to be "that guy" who wounds deer.
Its only wood

Offline iowabow

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 06:23:05 pm »
I practiced all spring and all summer. I have very good groups on the target. My issue is picking the spot and staying focused. I finally pulled it together with the buck I hit, I picked a spot and the arrow came within 2 or 3 inches of it at 11 yards. So we will see next year if the lessons form this fall come together. I do very appreciate the help on here because it helped me focus at the end of the season. My big problem was looking at the whole deer and losing consentration.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 07:43:25 pm »
You'll do fine next year.  You can make your practice more realistic by shooting just a single arrow at your target.  Or make each shot at a different distance.  Ping pong balls are fun to shoot at.  Hone your confidence, so there's no way you feel you can miss.  Practice on rabbits, which should still be in season.  When you can pick a spot on a rabbit, a deer is a piece of cake.  You can shoot, just need some confidence.  My money is on you.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 08:06:57 pm »
My friend is going to try this next year so we are going to rig up a target on a set of pulleyes so that one of use can simulate a deer walking in. The person pulling the rope will not be looking at the shooter that way he will not know when the shot is going to be taken. The shooter will have no idea when the target is going to stop or start. This should simulate random opportunity.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 03:58:02 pm »
I wanted to revisit this post and give an update.  I have made a new bow for this years season and all new points.  I have practiced shooting 3d targets and recently worked on my form by shooting from the stand.  I am ready for round two and feel good about the off season preparation. Last year I fired 20 times and only hit a deer on the 19th shot. Any advice or other thoughts folks?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 04:19:10 pm »
Two suggestions..."Pick a Spot"  and "Aim Small, Miss Small"!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnston

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 11:23:04 pm »
Just remember that you are having fun and the only pressure comes from yourself.

Lane

Offline iowabow

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 12:09:37 am »
At this point I don't feel as nervous as last year.  My equipment and preparation is better and all of the stands and planning is done.  I hope I can just relax and work through the the moves as the deer comes in.  I want to bring this together before I plan any other game hunts. 
In the future I would love to do a hunt like what pat b is doing or go south for a hog hunt.  However I  need to make my shooting and everything else come together first.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 01:13:37 am »
Nah, jump in that truck, head south and we'll fling some arrows at pigs, armadillos and/or coons.  Course, it's 93 degrees at 9:30pm.  Just a little toasty.  If I'd waited till I felt everything had come together I'd still be waiting to go. ;D

George
St Paul, TX