Author Topic: Just for the record books...  (Read 24447 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: Just for the record books...
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2011, 09:16:58 pm »
OK here is the deal I found the deer it was not a lung shot but went between both ribs and thought the liver and spleen.  It bleed out fast and died 50 yards from where I stopped looking.   I feel like I made the right decision to wait.   Working hard to clean and pkg the deer now. Wow thank you all for the help.  I think my big problem was calming down and being in the moment and waiting for the right time to pull so the deer would not see me.  I have been shooting deer that knew what was up and were jumping the string.  I got this now!! It just took me working hard and not making all the same mistakes.  And a lot of practice shooting. 

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:45:54 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:54 pm »
My arrow is hand made red oak that I split from a log.   The fiber holding the feathers is made from milkweed and is glued with deer hide glue the arrowhead is attached with pinepitch and did not break.  Leg tendon sinew was used to tie the point and the point is made from the flint from my creek.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:45:37 pm by iowabow »

Offline lowell

« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2011, 09:47:15 pm »
Very happy for you...glad to see this ending for you.  ;)

I still hope to bloody one of your points yet this season!!! 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2011, 09:51:39 pm »
Now that's what I'm talking about!  Things will go better now for you.  Congratulations John.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2011, 11:06:40 pm »
You ain't beat less you quit and you didn't. Very cool John, proud of you.
You need a new challenge.
Ever try a spear?

Lane

Offline iowabow

« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2011, 11:48:28 pm »
OK the final count. I fired 28 times before this came together but I really believe that I could do it much easier tomorrow. I called the game wardon and he told me that it could be tagged as a doe because the antlers were so small.  Spear noway OK maybe.  Thank you all for helping me build bows make points and all the other help.  Also if you have not fired 28 times to try and kill a deer you're not trying.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:58:59 pm by iowabow »

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2011, 02:43:59 am »
Congratulations! A hell of an accomplishment.  I am very happy for you.  That's real hunting.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2011, 06:58:12 am »
Very cool,congrats, you need to put this up in the 2011 hunting section where all can see,some folks may not check tihis thread lite we did.Again congrats nice job . :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ducosniffer

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2011, 07:04:49 pm »
Sweet news indeed.  Congrats and good luck on the rest of the season.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2011, 12:13:45 pm »
Going back out this weekend! I feel differently about the whole thing now because, I have a much great sense of confidence. I understand much better about when to pull and won't feel so hurried now to make the shot. Funny how when I started this I thought all I needed to was to make a bow and then I learned that the arrow can be as difficult to make. I had no idea that learning to shoot the bow would be so difficult. Then I had to place all my stands in location that benefited short distance shots. At about the same time I was still improving my arrowhead making techniques and learned more about how to correctly attach points. but the most difficult thing was two fold: first I had to relearn to shoot the bow from the stand, then I had to learn when to move when the deer are real close in near the stand. It is easy with a compound you draw when they are way out and wait for the shot. Much different when using a primitive bow. Our ansesters were very sneaky! Funny when you start this journey you have this bright idea that you are going to make a bow and step in the woods and kill a deer in two weeks. It really take a year or more to learn all of this stuff.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2011, 11:33:24 pm »
Congrats again.  It is a process...  It is very different from hunting with modern gear.  Saturday morning I spent one hour and fifteen minutes with a pretty little eight point feeding and sneezing and scratching himself and hanging around within thirty five yards or so of my stand...  A shot that I would have been comfortable with never presented itself.  Even so, I went home high on the experience.  Don't you feel that switching to primitive gear has made you a better hunter?  Have you ever been hit right on the top of the head with a chestnut oak acorn with a deer staring at you?  You can't get this kind of entertainment anywhere else.  I love hunting whitetail deer!  I think you never stop learning new things about them.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline iowabow

« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2011, 12:01:56 am »
I had an acorn hit the limb next to me when a doe was coming in and that made her look up.  And I had a buck nap 40 yards from my stand and I never got a shot.  This really made me a much better than I though at first but now I can't see me going back to modern equipment in anyway.  It is interesting that you have to make a lot of stuff if you hunt a lot. I am in the process of making about ten bows so that I don't have to rely on one for all my hunting.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2011, 02:02:45 pm »
OK here is the setup.   I was a little late to the stand and after I got there the sun just started lighting the forest floor.  I heard a crash from the ridge to the south so I stood and tried to see but it was still to dark.  I sat back down and put my head back on the stand while I waited for more light then I heard foot steps running toward the stand and they stopped suddenly.  I very slowly stood and started looking for dark out of place forms around the stand.  I picked out one place that looked dark for no reason and waited for more light.  I thought I saw movement but could not be sure.  15 mins no sound no movement something had to be in close.  Then the sun lit the floor just enough for a glimpse of a form walking in but it did not make sense because that was not where the sound was coming from. This deer walked to 30 yards and started smelling the other dark form which I could tell was a very large doe. Then he move behind and did what bucks do during the rut but she walked out so he was without.  By now I could see very well and she walked my direction and stopped where you see the point of my arrow.  I took careful aim and just before I released I remembered to resight for a lower shot because she was close.  I fired and I heard the arrow hit the tree on the other side of the deer.  At first I thought I just shot high but looked at the point of impact it is not higher than my arrow.  The deers shoulder was behind the large tree and the lungs were lined up with small one behind her.  The belly was lined up with the limb I was shooting over.  OK the point of all of this is we have large deer in Iowa this was a large doe so WOW this doe dropped real fast to keep from being hit! My point also hit in the saw mark of the tree and you can see the flint in it.   I had many markers so I know it was not my aim but the unbelievable ability for a deer to avoid being hit.  How cool is that. I have included a picture of the broken point. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:25:48 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2011, 02:06:40 pm »

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:12:09 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2011, 02:19:39 pm »
The flint in the tree and the flint in my havd are two different pieces also the sinew was on the right side of the tree and the broken part of the point. (Seen in my hand) was found 1 foot to the left and 1 foot back of the tree trunk
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:40:37 pm by iowabow »