Author Topic: Tenn Classic  (Read 42138 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Tenn Classic
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2007, 06:22:48 pm »
Greg, You left yourself wide open again, and I kept my mouth shut.  Looks like Marius picked up the gauntlet though.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2007, 10:33:16 pm »
Oh my, I did it again didn't I? ;D You'd think I would eventually learn to be careful...especially around you guys! :)

By the way...yall better watch your step, no more mr. nice guy! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Dustybaer

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2007, 07:44:19 pm »
sorry greg. i won't do it again.

justin, your turn  ;D

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2007, 08:45:57 pm »
Maybe the RH Pappy, combined with a bit of a inaccurate scale to begin with....8 pounds is a lot.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2007, 06:25:00 am »
That is what I was thinking Ryan,I have some new scales for my main tillering board,that one has been there a while.Did your bow you built at the Classic check the same on your scale?or have you checked it.I didn't know you needed to ajust the scale the way I have mine set up to account for the weight of the scale but I do now,just don't remember when I ajusted it it has been a few years but I don't know if it has been that long.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

GraemeK

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2007, 08:11:47 am »
Hi Pappy
I have found that timber can dry to a stable MC and exhibit a certain strength but after a few years especially if stored in hot conditions the lignin's in the cells age and cause an increase in strength. So it is an ageing rarther than drying thing and I have had as much as a 10% increase. Does seem to vary quite a bit with different timbers.
Graeme

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2007, 08:52:30 am »
Thanks,I got it worked down and gave me a chance to tweek the tiller a little so it worked out
fine.Good to see you back on the board hope you are doing well. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DCM

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2007, 09:52:57 am »
I read a post by Tim Baker on paleoplanet that said "Every 10-degrees temperature chance alters wood strength by 2% to 5%."

I replied:

80 degrees vs. 70 degrees 3.5% change per 10 degrees
60# * 103.5% = 62.1#

90 degrees vs. 30 degrees (typical crafting vs. hunting temp change for me)
60# * 121% = 72.6#

Throw in a some moisture content changes and you see a wood bow really does have a mind of it's own.  I've had whitewood bows behave remarkably different from one time to the next.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2007, 09:57:12 am »
Pappy, I havent checked it on my scale yet. In fact, I havent touched it since I got back. Im running around like a chicken with his head cut off getting ready for our shoot now like you guys were a couple weeks ago! :o I'll let you know where it comes in at on my scale, but yours said 53#@28" and it felt heavier than that to me....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2007, 11:38:46 am »
Ya David I have had Hickory do that after it had been put up for a while just haven't had Osage change that much.It was close to 5 years ago since I built this one so I may have just stopped tillering it and called it that.I can't remember I have slept since then. ;D
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2007, 12:17:07 pm »
Even though wood is dry doesn't necessarily mean it is cured. The tiller and weight can change over a couple of years as the wood does cure. I have noticed this especially with shoot arrows as well as some stave woods. Once it has cured the wood is more stable and less apt to change unless it is affected by moisture.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DCM

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2007, 12:26:25 pm »
Badger's mass thingy would tell you if the bow dropped moisture content, but I never write stuff down anyway and definately would not remember 5 yrs later.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2007, 01:27:25 pm »
That's me I should keep better records,All I can usually tell you about one of my bow is when I finished it and what the weight and draw was at that time cause I put it on the bow.I wished now I had done more like Badger and kept up with it a little better.O well live and learn. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DCM

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2007, 02:36:41 pm »
Heck Pappy you got me beat.  I don't even mark nothing on the bows.  With an all wood bow, hard to say what the exact poundage is at any point in time, given changes in humidity and temperature.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2007, 08:37:01 am »
It also depends on how long of a night I had,sometime I swear I have built one of JD'S
war bow. ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good