Author Topic: Osage bow layout?  (Read 9083 times)

Offline Alpinbogen

Re: Osage bow layout?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 11:42:45 am »
That sounds like a decent plan, but it isn't what I consider to be a pyramid bow since you plan to run the limb width straight for some distance.  If you're using a 1.5" width, I like to run that width for about 6 to 8", then narrow the limbs in a progressively faster taper (vs. a straight taper) towards 3/8" to 7/16" tips.  I prefer a progressive taper since it keeps a little more meat in the lower to mid-limb than a straight taper, and aesthetically looks nicer.  I also like a longer upper limb and rounded belly.  On the grip, I prefer sort of a flattened bulb, about 1" max wide or a hair more and 3/4" - 13/16" wide at the arrow pass, with a fade length that matches the limb width.  You didn't mention your draw length.  62-64" is a good length for an average draw, but you you may want to got shorter or longer if you're a dwarf or an ape.  

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 11:46:12 am »
For the lay out I mentioned ,I start with the limbs at about 1/2 maybe just a little more,by the time you are finished they will be around 3/8 or less depending on the wood. That will get the weight you are looking for. I never really pre tapper my limbs,just cut them to about 1/2 all the way,then floor tiller,I figure the tillering will take care of the tapper.I really never understood pre tapering an all wood bow,I understand it with lams or glass,wood in so different in the length
of the bow,not really that consicdent and then there are the knots and humps to deal with,so I just floor tiller so they are both bending as even as possible then tiller from there. I put them on the long string tillering pretty quick,while they are still pretty stiff and get them to short brace when I get the tips moving to 8 or 10 inches and all even.  :) By the way my long string is just long enough to go from n to n. Hope this helps. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 12:05:16 pm »
David,

I do my bows like Pappy, but for years I'd go longer than 64" so that if it didn't make weight I could shorten it.  I also helped a guy make a 68" bow because he was 6'3" and his draw length was so long.  If I were going to make a pyramid osage bow I'd start with an osage board and not a stave.  On a stave I let the wood dictate the layout, what Jawge described.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline snag

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 02:16:26 pm »
Alpinbogen, my draw length is 28". I'm thinking of going with 64".
I think I have terminology problems....I want a gradually tapering limb. I thought that was a pyramid design..? I want this bow to go from 1.5" and then like Pappy said keeping the width to that for the mid limbs (first 6"-8") and then tapering to the nock.
Pappy, I like that idea of keeping it 1/2" and letting the tillering dictate the depth of the limb.
David
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.