Author Topic: In Progress Medieval-style Crossbow  (Read 70384 times)

Offline Dane

In Progress Medieval-style Crossbow
« on: January 09, 2011, 05:02:24 am »
First, moderators, feel free to move somewhere else if this is not the appropriate topic area.

Hi, everyone. Taking a break from the usual stuff, I decided to post some in-progess shots of a 14th/15th Century Germanic style light hunting crossbow. In honesty, it is not a precise medieval reconstruction, as I am using modern tools and some modern techniques, nor a proper comsposite prod (bows), but am keeping to the spirit of the project. The end result will be a little 175-190 lb. hunting crossbow, with a 30 inches long cherry tiller (the stock in crossbow parlance), a moose antler rollling nut, steel tickler (the trigger), and steel sturrup (the part you put your foot in to span (draw) the bow). Crossbows have their own special nomenclature.

If you get a chance, Google up Knight's Amoury. They have a build-along on building the same style crossbow as I am making, and the guy did a fanstastic job. I won't post the site link, as there are commerical links on it.

Last night, I got the rolling nut basicallly turned down, and now am facing the ends and then the other work to make the nut, and am using my little 7"x10" mini lathe for this part. The nut and the associated tickler is probably the most time consuming secton of the project, as I am going to have to drill and tap a threaded rod fashioned into a sear for the tickler, chisel out channels for the ticker, and so on. I am using a lot of modern tools, such as drill press and a small benchtop bandsaw for the bone work for facing the top of the table (the top surface of the tiller), Fostner bits, etc. But, for making the tiller, I did use traditional woodworking tools we all use for making bows. Carving the tiller has been a true pleasure, lots of fun, and mentally almost meditative, as most woodworking tends to be for me. There will be some inlay work in this part, so that will be posted in the future.

Later, I will post a more detailed description of the work, as well as shots and info of the bow in action later this winter or spring. Some areas need explination, such as the slope of the nose of the tiller in the last couple of shots.

This is not just something fun I wanted to do for a long time, but is really a springboard to understanding crossbow construction when I tackle a later Roman (3rd or 4th century) arcuballista, which is essentially, as far as we can tell, a very early crossbow. Another larger project is perhaps (maybe) going to be a huge seige crossbow. This will come in at 1500 to 2000 pounds of pull, and will have a tiller about 5 feet long. Clearly, not a beginners project, but one to work up to. One authority states that these huge siege bows can shoot a bolt / quarrel 450 meters, and that alone would make it worth the building :)

Costs have been surprisingly not bad for this. I found a 6' x 11" by 1.5" live edge cherry plank at a retail woodworking store for 21 bucks, and laminated the tiller, then used a thickness planer to get the basic block shape before carving the shape with drawknife, rasps, scrapers, and planes. The prod is running about 65 bucks, so not bad, and the second most expensive part was the piece of moose antler I acquired for the rolling nut. I could have gone with hardwood or even sytnetic material, but for 55 dollars, I expect to get 2 or even 3 nuts out of it, and moose is historically accurate. I have had to purchase a few new tools like a 3/8" tap and the little bandsaw, but they will be useful for future projects. The bone I got from a pet store, and that has run me about 25 dollars for the amount I need. A hardwood table facing would like nice, as well.

The photos should be self explanitory. Feel free to ask questions, of course. I will post one or two more for the number of photos I have.

Happy New Year, everyone.

Dane

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:20:05 am by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

Re: In Progress Medieval-style Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:05:37 am »
More photos.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:07:42 am »
Last ones. The fur is a blacktail deer pelt, btw. Not killed by me, but acquried from the same source as the moose antler.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 08:45:09 am »
Everyone, Del the Cat sent me an excellent message suggesting that I could have milled out the rolling nut hole before laminating the halves of the tiller, which would have avoided the use of side plates on the lock area. It would have been a great soluition, too, as I was laminating two planks of cherry together to get the 3" I needed for the tiller block. That is food for thought, and perhaps a method I will use for my next crossbow. Note that the glue line for the top table of the tiller is visible in the photos, but will be hidden when I glue on bone plates, which will also give a slick surface for the quarrels (bolts) as they leave the weapon. The glue line for the underside of the tiller, not visible in the photos I have posted, is really well done. The boards are not book matched, but an invisible glue line is always something I strive for.

Del has a great site, too, everyone should check it out. Click on the globe icon under his user name. The ash bow is beautiful, and his little Chinese repeating crossbow is highly cool.

Thanks again, Del. This place is as always a wealth of info from some very talented and generous people.

Dane

Offline ohma

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:26:30 am »
keep it coming Dane. this is going to be good
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:30:57 am »
That already looks beautiful!
Looking forward to following this!
 :)

Offline JoergS

• The Slingshot Channel Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 02:16:14 pm »
Seems like a fun project!

I also want to make a "siege engine", but mine will be rubber powered (so no medieval original). I want to do this with a few friends in the summer, still have to find the location. I want to fire shot put with it.

The model is already finished:

It's a 1:10 scale, the full size version will be 3,5 meters long, like a small car.

Here is a little video about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ9keWOP2To

Maybe we should make a contest out of it...  ;D

Jörg
"The Slingshot Channel"

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:58:59 pm »
Thanks for the words, guys. I will post regularly, and this project is relatively short term, so it wont be that long before the bow is finished and tested.

JoergS, bravo. Post when you actually build the full sized one. I actually have two catapults in progress. I took a break, but am getting back to them. Both are Roman arrow shooters, called Scorpio or catapulta. Both of these are based upon archeological evidence and the somewhat corrupted translations of ancient Greek and Roman engineer's writings. The little one is called a scorpio-minor, and is a belly cocker, much like a Greek gastrophetes. It will have 1.25" springs, whereas the larger machine is going to be tripod mounted and has 2" springs. I will have to post once I get back to these in ernest this winter and spring. The red painted spring frames are for the 2" machine. It is already sheathed in steel, with hand made copper rivets. The little one is shown with fake plastic washers, but those will be bronze or brass when completed.

Dane 

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 05:17:35 pm »
thats awesome!!  will trade archery equipment for that! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 09:29:27 pm »
Looks very cool Dane. You gotta make a video of it in action when its done.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 06:29:06 am »
Can do on the video.

What do you have to trade, Aero? :)

Dane

Offline cracker

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:00:40 am »
Very cool project.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:40:36 am »
Thanks, Cracker.

Well, the nut is now turned and ready for the next few steps.

This was my first experienced with a lathe, so it was a lot to learn quickly, and probably not well advised to learn using such an expensive workpiece. The photos show the drilling process for the center hole in the nut that will be used to bind the rolling nut into the socket. Most reproduction / inspired crossobows use artificial sinew to keep the nut in the socket. I have some nice roll of gut I may use instead.

Now I can square up each end of the nut, which will be about 1" in depth, and finish drilling the socket. After that, I can begin rough cutting the bone plates for facing the table of the bow (which is the top surface). That will happen this week.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 10:13:18 pm »
The rollling nut is coming along nicely. I cut it to a depth of slightly over 1", and it is 1 1/4" in diameter. After squaring each end, I used the little 9" bandsaw (ideal for these kinds of light jobs), and then a round file to make the notch, and begin the fingers with the band saw, then careful chiseling and file work.

Next steps are to finish milling the nut socket, make a plug for the left side of the socket out of cherry, and continue to refine the finger slot, which is not quite deep enough or at the correct angle. The fingers will go on each side of the quarrel when the crossbow is loaded. I am taking my time, as so much effort has been put into this nut. It has been a lot of fun to see it coming into being, and moose antler is a pleasure to work with, very dense and with a lovely color.

Dane

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 11:58:37 pm »
Great work on that roller nut.  But I am kinda confused how this is going to work.  I thought you put the roller nut between the pieces in the middle?  I am sure you got a plan.  Just curious.
Westminster, MD