Author Topic: In Progress Medieval-style Crossbow  (Read 70300 times)

Offline Dane

Re: In Progress Medieval-style Crossbow
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 06:49:44 am »
Thanks, bigcountry. If this makes sense, I will drill the socket hole deeper with a 1.25" Fostner bit, so the nut is centered on the tiller. I'll be doing that later today.

Then, I will cut out a plug out of cherry, the same wood as the rest of the tiller, and glue it in, then sand the plug down flush with the outside of the tiller. Later, I'll cover the plug with a lock plate made of wood or rawhide. Finally, I will drill a hole through both sides of the tiller and bind the rolling nut in with sinew or gut, wrapped around the tiller from the bottom. That acts to keep the nut from flying out after you shoot the bow.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 01:56:27 pm »
can't wait to see. 
Westminster, MD

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 10:40:33 am »
Bigcountry, here are two shots of the completed socket. The opening in the right side will be plugged later with cherry, then covered with a lockplate. You can see I slghtly chipped the aft edge of the socket, but once I cover the table with the facing material, the little error will be invisible. The nut rotates smoothly, which is what I was aiming for. I wil additionally wax the socket to aid in a fast release.

After spending about two hours cutting and grinding bone plates, and gagging on the scent (and wearing a respirator, so the gagging happened after removing the respirator), I've decided to pick up some holly wood and face the bow tiller with that. Since this is not an exact medieval repro, I think it is fair to deviate in ways that still retains the spirit of the weapon, and also looks handsome.

Dane

Offline cracker

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 12:00:58 pm »
More More I can hardly wait.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Dane

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 02:59:46 pm »
Thank you, Cracker. The last shot of the crossbow is the tiller resting on the piece of holly I picked up today. It was terribly dear, but I can resaw it for two planks, then plane one down to 1/8 inch for facing the table. This will be used instead of bone. I understand holly this white and flaw free is very rare, hence the costs. It may not show well in this photo, but is a very creamy white, and really pretty.

This will be it for a while. The steel prod (bow) is in production, so it will be a bit before I recieve that, as well as the tickler. Ill cut the facing pieces to shape, and do some other small tasks such as making a bone quarrel rest, but I am kind of in a holding pattern for now.

I have included two totally unrelated photos of a 4th century replica Roman scutum I am buidling. If you value your sanity, avoid sewing on a rawhide rim to a shield. This was almost 300 stitches I had to make. The shield still needs a lot of work, but is coming along well, and is for my late Roman group, Exculcatores Iuniores Britanniciani. It is a close replica to oval flat shields found at Dura Europa, which is in what is now Syria. The thing is made of poplar planks, butt jointed and then covered with linen on the face. I still have to make the iron boss, touch up the small gaps in the rawhide edging, and paint it with the Exculcatores' symbol of a yellow two-headed dragon on a white face with red border. A small rack for plumbatum will go on the back of the sheild, those being essentially lawn darts from hell, a kind of fletched throwing dart with a heavy lead weight and an iron broadhead-like point.

More violent fun. :). Actually, the late Roman stuff does relate to this crossbow, since this is primarily training to construct an arcuballista.

Well, more crossbow photos as I continue making it. Not sure when, but soon, hopefully.

Dane
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 03:04:09 pm by Dane »

Offline cracker

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 05:09:27 pm »
Wow do you ever sleep?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 06:57:49 pm »
This is a fascinating thread, thanks for taking the time to post it.  I did google up the example and spent an enjoyable evening (when it was too cold to work in the shop) looking at the entire process.  Are you going to go the artificial sinew route for your string or use something like B50?  I'm especially anxious to see how it shoots because it is a tempting project.  That holly looks wonderful, I think it'll look better than the bone on the example.  Very nice job.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Dane

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 08:04:25 pm »
Cracker, I get about 4 hours a night, sometimes 5 if I am lucky. My pug likes to wake me up hours before the alarm, then she does back to bed and I hear her upstairs snoring as I pace the floors. Since my next door neighbors died, I can work in my shop all night long if I want to.

Thank you, George. The entire process of building one of these is not really that difficult, depending on what you want. You can substitute a hardwood dowl like oak or walnut for the rolling nut and avoid having to use antler, or machine it out of aluminum or brass, as well. The tiller can be very simple such as military weapons, or ultra fancy for hunting bows used by, I presume, the upper classes. I am not much of a metal worker, and the metal components such as the tickler are really not hard to handle, too.

I may go with B50 for the string, as there is no stretch, and this is after all a medieval inspired bow. Once I do built an arcuballiista (Roman crossbow), linen thread is what I will probably make the string out of. And If I do build that gigantic 1,200 pound seige bow, I will definately use B50, plus an all metal nut.

Dane

Offline cracker

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 08:48:39 pm »
I gotta get my shop insulated and clymate controlled, luckily I have no neighbors close enough to grumble so I can also do as I please. Excelent work by the way. Keep it coming this is like waiting for Dallas to come on. Could you use that rig to shoot J.R.?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 09:27:34 pm »
I need to insulate the ceiling of my shop too.  Shoot JR, that's funny cracker.  I drive by South Fork ranch every day on the way to work, my house is about 3 miles from there.  It used to be well in the country, but the city has almost reached it.   People stop all the time along Murphy Rd there to take their pictures by the gate.  One time a guy pulled over, had his wife cross the street with the camera, and he posed by his SUV holding his shotgun as I drove by.  Only in Texas...   Anyway, I'll be anxiously waiting for new posts Dane, very cool.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 04:56:01 am »
Dane
very cool and interesting project! You have some talent. I'm learning alot. Can't wait to see more!
If you ever get tired of that nasty old equipment in your shop there....let me know ;D

ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Dane

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 02:44:23 pm »
Thanks Ron. And I will keep you in mind should I decide to get rid of all my shop stuff. :)

Here is a few shots of the holly planed down and rough cut and layed on the table. These will replace the bone I had planned on initially using. I will be gluing the holly pieced down, and then attaching them with very small brass nails in each corner.

Also, I have included a closeup photo of the bone quarrel rest. I will cut a dovetail slot into the nose of the tiller, and this little rest will have a v-shaped groove in the top. I can adjust it somewhat like you adjust the rear open sight of a blackpowder rifle as I shoot in the crossbow. One reason for this quarrel (aka bolt or arrow) rest is that it reduces friction on the entire bolt as it is shot from the weapon, so it should be a mite faster than a crossbow with a quarrel groove.

Dane

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 05:50:23 pm »
Nice.  ;D  ;D
St Paul, TX

Offline Dane

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 07:13:35 am »
Thank you. I'm a bit pleased with it. King's deer beware. Soon. I hope. :) Poaching is I am sure a nicer career path than gong farming.

Dane

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 09:16:47 am »
Ok, I see, so there will be metal pin for the roller to roll on? 

Coming along nice.  Think the holly will be slick as bone?
Westminster, MD