Author Topic: Mystery Wood 2  (Read 37788 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Mystery Wood 2
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2007, 12:00:45 pm »
I agree with Bob.  If you tell a little about the tree and show a picture of the bark it should work.  You might have to do a little reading/studying.  :-X OOPS did I say that out loud.  This is about education anyway.  Do we get ONE GUESS only Bob?  That will force people to try to figure it out, not just start flinging arrows at random.  It will also allow guys who aren't on the sight when it is first posted to have a chance, not just let one guy guess until he gets lucky.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

oak

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2007, 12:27:25 pm »
And maybe each winner can supply the next species to be figured out.

Just a thought it could keep a nice rotation going unless one person out there just kept winning.

Blake

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2007, 12:32:15 pm »
Or 1 guess a day?

Ralph

Offline DanaM

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2007, 09:33:41 pm »
Does it have to be bow wood or any tree. What about including arra shrubs, bushes etc.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2007, 10:30:27 pm »
..................................... I think Justin's idea to have the winner supply the next month's bow wood for identification is a good one. Guesses, hmmm still thinkin' about that one ! ??? I think it should be bow wood or supposed bow wood and arrow wood as Pat suggested, not just any shrub. Theres lots of things out there to try. This is a primitive wood bow buildin site thats reason fer bow wood, at least my initial thoughts. What do y'all think ? Ideally this should be a co-operative effort by all. A question, what do y'all want to do if no-one identifies the wood that month ?............bob
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 10:35:36 pm by Kowechobe »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2007, 10:58:21 pm »
..................................... I think Justin's idea to have the winner supply the next month's bow wood for identification is a good one.
I would love to take credit for that one Bob, but that was Blake.  I think you give a couple of days and if nobody gets it right, you post pictures of the foliage, or tell a little bit more about the fruit.  I like the one guess per day idea.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline jpitts

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2007, 11:52:58 pm »
I love the idea.....to add to what Justin said, maybe after a couple of days show the fruit or flower....
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2007, 12:54:01 am »
I think we ought to take this opportunity to experiment with different woods. We know that osage, red oak, hickory, etc will make a bow. There are lots of other woods out there that we ain't tried yet and a simple bendy handle bow is the perfect design to experiment with. If you pick a wood, you should at least believe it will make a bow from its characteristics and habits.
   I think arrow woods also. You will have to tell if the wood has to be split or whether shoots can be used.
   Its good to see that others are interested in learning about different trees and shrubs that can be used in archery. This will get us all closer to true primitive archery...using the materials that are available to us.    I'm looking forward to this. My brain is already searching. ??? ??? ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2007, 02:51:57 am »
           Sorry Blake, thx Justin fer settin' me straight. ;D We are gettin closer to a arrangement here, so lets all go the extra mile. So bow woods that are not commonly used, arrow shoots or splits. What 'bout wood that can make decent atlatals and darts ? Same fer spears ? Do we want to see both made and shown on forum ? How 'bout one guess per day ? What if no one guesses correctly on that wood that month ? Who does next months wood id ? My feelin' is that we dont wanna show leaves or fruit ,takin' advantage of Pat's practice of only lookin' at tree bark up 4' or so. If'n its too easy we dont have to think or research. I dont think object of this is to get wood fer a bow, rather to learn more. Do u foks feel the same ?.............................bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2007, 03:15:04 pm »
 Thought I would show y'all the sour orange hacked down with hachet and rasped to 2" x 1 1/2" thick with glued ends and ready to dry now fer some months in a/c. Brought it down to 57", check out natural reflex ! ;D, Btw where are we on this monthly mystery wood thing ?.....bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2007, 07:47:23 pm »
Bob, this is your baby. We are all anxiously waiting for you to make the rules official.   ;D Maybe we could do the one guess per day thing.  Post a picture of the bark on the 1st of the month, with a simple description.  If nobody gets it by the 15th we can post a picture of the leaves.  But hey, its your baby.  ;D Justin

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2007, 09:53:14 pm »
       Ok, I will start a new thread called "Monthly Mystery Wood", next week and state the rules that we are goin' to follow. Hopefully, everyone that wants to participate will agree to them. Since I posted 2 woods already, does someone want to start off in June ? I think you (Justin) have a good idea, if no one guesses by the 15th of that month, the submitee of the wood can then show some leaves or fruit, berries. Does this sound ok to everybody ? Sorry, for delay 'till next week but have a lot goin' on at the moment.....bob

Rich Saffold

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2007, 12:28:21 am »
I have a branch of pear that looks just like that..

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2007, 12:31:11 am »
        Rich........... Thats funny. I have never worked with pear. Hmm....................crab n' pond apple,orange ,grapefriuit,avacado and jackfruit that I can remember. Do you know what species of pear it is ?................bob
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 12:35:16 am by Kowechobe »

Newbowyer

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2007, 08:48:45 am »
Sour orange. I imagine it has already been figured out through. Thats my guess