Author Topic: Shooting tutorial  (Read 17188 times)

sagitarius boemoru

Shooting tutorial
« on: May 17, 2007, 08:30:12 pm »
Not exactly. Its set of pictures how I draw the bow. Dont be fooled though as the shortdraw pictures do not preceed correct ones.

What I do is :  I start with bow somehow high, beside me, not in front of me. I pull first because its easy and once I get my drawhand far enough I push with my bowhand and level the bow. For a person with shorter arms and good leverage this is very effective method. Also when leveling for shooting at target I go little lower in knees into the stance which is similar to chinese heavy bow shooting stance described by Mr. Selby in his stunning "Chinese archery" It is very stable.

This is correct (or what I think it is), the shoulders and ellbows line in:

Not as good - you can see here that 2´´ of arrow is sticking out and it does make difference. Drawhand shoulder is bit higher, which shows there is still some potential in frame.

This is crappiest version I was able to produce. Half of the arrow is sticking out.  The pulling phasis did not preceded the pushing. Its actually more difficult to do, because it strains the draw shoulder.

What I attempt to describe probably wont work for everybody, tall wiry types usually use different method and any person taler than me would not have anchor as far back. But its very effective method in terms of strenght and energy expenditure.
Keep in mind I m only 5´3´´ 130#.

Jaro

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:32:50 pm by sagitarius boemoru »

duffontap

Re: Shooting tutorial
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 08:42:16 pm »
Thanks for posting that Jaro.  Do you still have a video you could post?  Perhaps a photobucket or youtube video?

J. D. Duff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 12:51:03 am »
Thanks Jaro. I noticed that when you draw the correct way you also keep the bow a little lower on your chest, at least it appears that way.  This allows the use of the major muscles of the chest and back to draw. If the last 4-6 inches of the draw were done from the last position, it would all have to be done with the arm muscles of the drawing arm. Besides being to difficult to pull, that would put some serious strain on the shoulder.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 09:06:55 am »
Here is video shot couple of years ago. Dont mind the shooting the chainmail, there was prevalent idea in those times that hanging chainmail is actually harder to shoot through. I wanted to demonstrate that shock wave in mesh actuallyappears at moment when damage is done and the arrow is away.
Anyway there is a shot of me excersising my bigger bow (Osagebacked hickory which I dont have anymore).

http://rapidshare.com/files/31979196/Heavybow.mpeg.html

Jaro

duffontap

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 03:47:37 pm »
I can't get the file to open.  Do you have a youtube or photobucket vid?

J. D. Duff

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 04:13:37 pm »
You dont open the file. You have to download it.

1. Click on the link
2. Click on "Free"  button
3. At that moment a downcount goes from around one minute down, which prepares your download ticket.
4. Then a small window appear and you have to fill the characters form picture included in and then hit enter
5. Download start as usually "Save file as"

Once on your hard drive, use any player to play it. Mpeg file 58 Mb.

I dont want to put it on youtube and photobucket sucks.

Jaro

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 05:18:41 pm »
Great post Jaro,
I'm 5'8", so not tall but a bit more than your good self.  However I've got short, thick arms (and long pockets too, when it's my round of drinks ;)).  My finger tip to finger tip span measures 67", what's yours as a matter of interest?
Cheers Jeremy

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 05:38:13 pm »
Exactly 65´´.

Jaro

duffontap

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 07:28:10 pm »
I can view other rapidshare files but I've downloaded that one four times now and quicktime wont open it.  Tough luck I guess.

J. D. Duff

Offline Loki

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 07:55:11 pm »
It works ok with windows Media player JD,nice video Jaro! that chainmail didnt give much protection did it? the arrow went straight through the bugger  :D ;D.
Durham,England

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 08:01:12 pm »
J.D.   VLC player is also O.K.  Dunno about quicktime.

Loki - this is not riveted chainmail, it has about as much resistance as morning mist. Not that riveted is better if one choses right type of bodkin.  ;D

Jaro

duffontap

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 06:06:17 pm »
Jaro,

I got it to work with the VLC player.  Thanks a lot!  That's a great video.  Very nicely done.

J. D. Duff

Miles

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 07:30:46 pm »
Hi Jaro,
I like the Video what was 1st. Target you shot at in it?
The Sparks as the arrow fly's thew the chin mail was great very cool. ;D

Miles
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 11:02:28 pm by Miles »

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »
First target was only compressed and glued carton sewn in rug.

Jaro

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 07:46:04 pm »
This is an EXCELLENT "how to pull a HEAVY bow without dead in the attemp " you made Jaro!!... :)...
I really appreciate this because I´m not a "big man" too, and I´ll give it a try to draw heavy bow in the 100-120# range in the near future, useing and practiceing with the tecnic you use mate!!...
I´m about 5' 8,5" tall and about 134-135# in weight, so nothing to see with "superman".....;)....and still think I could pull these "monster bows" if I use a correct tecnic like you depicted in this thread.
I´m also 71" long from the tip of one hand to the tip of the other hand...
How long do you think Jaro I could pull a warbow with this specs??...may be 32-33" of draw lenght??
Thanks and a very informative thread as usual mate!!
Cheers...
Asier.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:50:35 pm by Asiertxu »
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.