Author Topic: Primitive Archer Bow Trade  (Read 69928 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Primitive Archer Bow Trade
« on: February 14, 2011, 04:39:46 pm »
  A few guys have shown interest in starting a bow trade on PA. First thing is that Primitive Archer Magazine or website will not be responcible for this trade or have anything to do with it. We will be able to use the site for it though. If any problems arrise we will handle them ourselves.
  Rich, (half eye) asked me if I will organize it. For now, I don't have the time or energy to take control of this. I will participate and will help with the rules of the trade but someone else will have to handle the list of builders and recievers and be sure the rules are followed. I will help as I can.
  I'm in on my second bow trade on TradGang and we learned a few dos and don'ts last year. As far as I am concerned this is not about what bow you may recieve but the bow you will be making and giving to another participant. If you are a newbie and don't feel you can compete with the seasoned bowyers that might get involved think again. If you are willing to put all you have into a wood bow then you qualify to join in. If you don't like the idea of making the best bow you can but you might be getting something that a newbie might be making and you don't think it is a fair trade, you should probably stay out of this trade. It isn't about fair trades or newbie vs seasoned bowyer but it is about the spirit of giving and sharing that makes these trades work...just like in the Christmas trade.
 So with all that said, who is willing to take the reins to guide this trade to a successful end?  We will discuss it all among ourselves and get everything worked out before we jump in and really get started. So, lets hear your ideas, suggestions, worries or whatever and get this show on the roads.  8)

when you PM Elktracker your shipping address PLEASE do it like this so he doesnt have to go look and find your number and write your name, he can just copy and paste. If you havent been assigned a number on the updated list just leave the number out.

#13 Elktracker    Josh shmoe
                        1122 Yew st west
                        Tillamook Or 97141

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:28:47 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JustinNC

Re: Primitive Archer Bow Trade
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 04:46:34 pm »
I'm interested. I'm a newbie but I think this would be a good excuse for me to put everything Ive read and learned on here and elsewhere and put something together.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 04:51:01 pm »
I'm for it also....I hope somebody with experience is willin to take it on.
rich

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 04:54:51 pm »
I would probably be considered a newbie to some but I would love to get in on this!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 05:02:51 pm »
I am in. I would also be glad to help any organizer.

Would it be inappropriate to specify left or right hand and standard draw? I would hate to tiller a bow to my draw then have it go to someone that has a lot longer drawlength.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 05:17:03 pm »
Bevan,
      Maybe when someone enters their name they could specify their draw length, weight range, which handed they are and maybe wether they like a rest or not. It could be listed by their name on the list?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »
Bevan,
      Maybe when someone enters their name they could specify their draw length, weight range, which handed they are and maybe wether they like a rest or not. It could be listed by their name on the list?

That was my thought but was not sure.

Bevan Richards - Right, 27" draw, 50# or less.

Something like that?

Bevan

Offline BOXTOP

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 05:28:10 pm »
HI,  I'm not a bowyer. I flintknapp, and I have met some very nice and helpful people here on PA. I'm in the process of learning to make arrows. the concept of a trade that brings a group of people together I THINK IS REALLY GREAT. If I could make a bow, I would love to get in on this. As a matter of fact David Knight is making a bow for me. I'm sure that all will put their hearts into what they make, Its a fun thing (so enjoy it)     Gordon
SMITH MT. LAKE VIRGINIA (WHERE THE FISHING IS THE BEST)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:34:13 pm »
What kind of time frame would we be looking at?  I would like to get in, but it takes me a while to make a bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 05:37:52 pm »
I have a suggestion about the time frame...

How about posting date of Memorial Weekend? That gives us a little over 3 months from now.
(I figure that gives me 2 months of bow blowing up and a month of bribing JW to make it.  ;D)

Any thoughts?

Bevan

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 05:52:01 pm »
Memorial Weekend sounds good to me
Right handed
28-30" draw (30 inch is full draw but I can anchor at 28 with no problems)
40-50#
of the knuckle, floppy, or rest, doesn't matter.
Actually all in all the specs don't matter to me, I just think it would just be great to share bows and what we all love to do.

(I figure that gives me 2 months of bow blowing up and a month of bribing JW to make it.  ;D)
[/quote]
That's funny!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 05:54:03 pm »
I'm really loving all these trades, it really pushes me to improve.  I'd be very interested in joining in.  I don't have any seasoned staves at the moment, so if I'm unable to trade for one I'd probably have to build a RO board bow if that's ok with everybody.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 06:02:26 pm »
I'm really loving all these trades, it really pushes me to improve.  I'd be very interested in joining in.  I don't have any seasoned staves at the moment, so if I'm unable to trade for one I'd probably have to build a RO board bow if that's ok with everybody.

As of yet I have not seen anyone saying it had to be a stave bow. In my opinion, any bow someone is willing to put the time and effort into is OK (baring any of that nasty FG stuff, right JW? >:D)

Bevan

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 06:07:23 pm »

Did you see Josh's latest Bow?  It was a RO board and a lovely bow.  As long as like Pat said, you put your heart into making the best bow you can with the materials you have your recipient will be pleased.
Nate Danforth

JustinNC

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 06:35:16 pm »

If it looks anything like the RO board bow you just made, I don't know of anybody that would turn their nose up to that.

I was already thinking of going that route, then if I got one done SUCCESSFULLY (key word), in time, cutting/splitting that osage and trying that out.