Author Topic: Bow Making....addicted?  (Read 8174 times)

Offline sweeney3

Re: Bow Making....addicted?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 03:59:39 pm »
Man, you can shoot anywhere.  I have shot:
1) in my trailer home in a park in Kansas,
2) beside my trailer,
3) in a civilian hotel room,
4) in an army hotel room for 4 months at Ft. Sill, OK,
5) in the workshop at home,
6) in an appartment in Minneapolis, KS while student teaching for 5 months,
7) assorted roadside parks, rest areas, and break stations,
8) lots of national, state, and local wildlife management areas (roaving.  Carry ONLY blunt/judo tips and you'll likely be okay if you have to explain yourself).

Your opportunity to shoot is limited only by your imagination, and perhaps your ablity to sneak in the stuff you need.   ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 06:21:31 pm »
I am addicted but, Cam, really, in my younger days when my wife said come to bed, I sure did. :) jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 06:44:14 pm »
Well that just shows you how bad I got it, doesn't it? :)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 08:27:05 pm »
yeh, this is a serious problem, I lie awake at night designing bows in my head.......
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline sailordad

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 08:39:20 pm »
when i get into the "bowmaking mood"
i have been known to only get one maybe two hours of sleep
i just get a little to involved in what i am working on at times
and just plain forget about going to bed
going to work the next day is a real treat  :D

now i get more sleep,i dont make as many bows
not since i started knapping
now sleep is easy
once you loose enough blood,you just pass out right where your at  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline eflanders

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 08:47:00 pm »
Bow making ideas used to keep me up at nights and I just couldn't ever fall asleep!  Now however, I find it quite therapeutic and it helps me to get my mind off of work, problems, kids, etc., etc., etc., and it certainly helps me to relax and simply enjoy life more.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 10:49:21 pm »
I think I may have a problem though.  I can't stop.  I can hardly finish one before I start another!  I sit around thinking about what woods I can try or what kinds of bows I can make or try to make...

My name is Bevan and I am an addict (and proud of it  ;D).

I do not think your addiction is hardcore enough, you state you finish one before you start another, I have not got my head around that concept yet. I usually have several going at the same time.

Bevan

Ah but I didn't tell the whole story.  I actually have 4 going right now and will probably start another.....It's like an unquenchable appetite.......
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 10:53:45 pm »
Hi my name is Josh and I too admit I have a problem, when I close my eyes at night I see a bent stick or imagine what my next bow stave may come to be. I read either TBB 1,2,3,4 every night before bed and thats after I pull my self off here lol gotta get off the net now my wife is also realizing im an addict.

Hilarious!  I actually have TBB Vol 1 sitting on my night stand right next to my bed and read a little every night.  I am ordering the other 3 this month....
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 11:01:50 pm »
My name is Pat and I am addicted to wood bow building!
Welcome to PA, Arrowind. You are among friends and fellow addicts.

Thanks!  Everyone is so cool here.  It does feel a bit like home....

My name is Jared / Arrowind and I'm a bow making addict!   

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 11:07:39 pm »
Hi my name is Josh and I too admit I have a problem, when I close my eyes at night I see a bent stick or imagine what my next bow stave may come to be. I read either TBB 1,2,3,4 every night before bed and thats after I pull my self off here lol gotta get off the net now my wife is also realizing im an addict.

Hilarious!  I actually have TBB Vol 1 sitting on my night stand right next to my bed and read a little every night.  I am ordering the other 3 this month....

Well dont plan on getting much sleep and when you do plan on dreaming of bow building lol they are all great books I have read them all through about a dozen times now and I retain a little more each time.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 04:45:11 am »
HI,  My name is Ron and I may have a problem too.   I just straightened out my shop and counted 10 bows in various stages of construction.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 08:21:12 am »
I have a problem for sure, I would be afraid to count how many i have in different stages,trouble I have now is getting them finished,never seem to get time to work on my own, I am involved in a lot of bows but do good to finish a few for me to hunt with each year. :) The thing is that doesn't bother me at all,as long as I am around some bow work going on I am happy. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 08:59:50 am »
Hi my name is Mark. I'm not addicted to bow making ::) When I get the jitters, I go start some arrows. I'm not addicted to those either ::) So, when I get the jitters again, I go back to making bows. Man this makes for a long day. Well, ok ok, I might have a small addiction :o ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline half eye

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 09:20:08 am »
It's only an addiction when yer gettin 3 wife beatins a week instead of the two I get now ;D......
rich

Offline cracker

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 09:50:56 am »
Oh my god he's beating his wife with a bow.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?