Author Topic: Left wing or right wing?  (Read 19079 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Left wing or right wing?
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:40:46 pm »
I am getting ready to fletch some arrows, and I have a couple of questions.

I have a straight, left and right wing clamps for my fletching jig.  Which would be best for shooting a selfbow right handed? 

If I go with the right wing clamp, I assume I should use right wing feathers?

Any help would be great.  I don't want to fletch up a bunch of arrows and have them fliy like a wounded duck.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Left wing or right wing?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:03:49 pm »
I use a JoJan multi fletch with offset straight clamps. I fletched 6 cane arrows last winter, 3 with right wing, 3 with left. All I did different was offset the clamp to one side or the other for right and left. They all fly great from my bow. 60" osage static recurve,
56#@26"
 I was going to post pics but photobucket ate all my arrow pics.  >:( I had a seperate folder for arrows and it is empty.

...but any way, I like offset straight fletching. I use a bigger fletch instead of helical twist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:14:25 pm »
Osage,
       The conventional wisdom usually means right fletch, right wing, right-handed shooter. As a practical matter ya can shoot left fletch also, if ya pay attention to where the lower hen feather lays relative to the bow. You want the lower hen feather to pass right where the shelf meets the riser (or hand grips the bow) that means that the cock feather and upper hen feather will clear the bow.  For hunting purposes, it's been my experience that if you choose the straight jig (and the fletcher allows for it) offset the fletch about 1 to 2 Degrees and you should be able to stabilize the broadhead. If the offset is left then set it up like the left helical hen feather.    Just how it has worked out for me.... Now days, I do both ways ( but usually offset) so I can use more of the turkey feathers,  they fly good.
rich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:03:32 pm »
Thanks guys.  I need to get these arrows done so I can start going to a local 3D shoot. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:16:50 am »
I've read that it really doesn't matter which you use, just as long as you don't mix them on the same arrow.  In Kyudo the arrows come in sets of two RTW and 2 LW.  The arrows are traditionally shot one RW and then one LW.  They fly the same though.     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »
I use a offset fletch and either LW or RW doesn't matter just match them all the same on a arrow.  I am right handed and I believe most of my feathers of LW.  Usually a lot of those around as most folks prefer RW.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline eagleone

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:57:55 am »
I shoot right handed and had problems with rw feathers running into my hand - I started fletching my arrows lw and havent had the problem since

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 01:07:36 am »
i use both
but i make sure i have either right or left on an arrow
never mix them
dont see a differance
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:11:09 am »
I fletch mine as I get the fletches. Not picky weather I get R or F wing (as long as there the same). I don't have a jig, and just glue up by hand. I find no diff in flight
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 02:36:07 am »
Eagleone,  Many, if not most, folks put a thread wrap on the front of the fletch to keep things from sticking into their knuckle when shooting off the hand.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline matte

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 11:21:20 am »
I always thought it was right wing for left handed archers and right wing for left handers? I have used both and have had no problem providing my bow was tuned properly.

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 08:04:13 pm »
hillbilly61...do you measure or just eye-ball the spacing?

Lane

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 10:55:49 pm »
I've never noticed a bit of difference, as long as you don't use both on the same arrow. I shoot both.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 12:54:30 am »
I'm right handed and I shoot left wing feathers put on with a straight clamp..offset. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 08:39:20 pm »
With the exception that they should be all of the same wing on any single arrow, the wing of the feathers should have no effect whether right or left handed for a couple of reasons as follows:

1, The rotation of an arrow is virtually nil in traveling the distance from the point it leaves the string until it passes the bow, think about it, the distance is at the most brace height and the arrow has only just left the restraint of the string.

2, A properly spined arrow flexes past the bow so the orientation of the fletching on the arrow has no effect nor does the direction it may spin in.

3, If the arrow is incorrectly spined and therefore strikes the bow during the release, the orientation of the fletching on the arrow and the direction of spin will have considerably less effect than the arrow striking the bow has.

Craig.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:46:57 pm by CraigMBeckett »