Author Topic: TN Classic Knapping Thread  (Read 8942 times)

Offline nocams

TN Classic Knapping Thread
« on: May 01, 2011, 01:25:44 pm »
Mason and I left late Friday night and since no one else has started a thread yet..... Here it is.

We had a great time as usual and wanted to thank each and everyone who helped us learn more again this year. The new knapping pit is awesome and thank goodness we did not need the roof this year for rain cover. Weather was perfect ! Got to experiment with new kinds of rock and I think Mason may have fell in love with dacite ? Keokuck is still my favorite for now. Thanks Bob for the help on getting rid of square edges ! I think I got it now. Good to meet SailorDad and wife as well as NCsnipe. Hope everyone had a great time and gets home safe and sound.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: TN Classic Knapping Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:56:26 pm »
Hope to see some pictures from the new "Pit"  Love Dacite  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 07:38:36 pm »
First off I would like to thank everyone at the classic for a really great weekend, The new an improved knapping pit was great, an I would like to thank Jesse an Shannon an  many others for all the free advice and help that I recieved all weekend long. I got to  meet alot of folks who before I only knew thru the Pa. site. I did manage to make a few points also this weekend, Thanks again everybody. I really had a enjoyable time.  Bob

Offline nocams

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 12:42:24 am »
That Horse creek turned out awesome Bob ! I watched you as you made it but did not want to distract you while you were doing it. You were deep in concentration on that one. It shows. Thanks agains for all your help and it was good to spend time with you again. We got to get you moved South bud.

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:42:08 am »
I didnt get any pictures, but sure was glad to be able to sit and watch masters work. Really appreciate Sailordad's help,  Shannon for letting me watch and ask dumb questions about pressure flaking and Jesse for giving me a play by play on each flake he took off and as to why, even if I was directly in the line of fire when he celebrated taking a nasty spot off. ::) Enjoyed everyone's company. No shortage of BS and knowledge...all being shared equally.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 12:06:35 pm »
Who won the Johnstone knapping contest?

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:40:07 pm »
Did not have a tank to brake this year ;/
Mililani Hawaii

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 12:52:10 pm »
man that was fun wasnt guys  ;D
that was the best time i have ever had in my life
met alot of very nice folks at the classic and got to watch some seriously talented knappers
got some nice lesons from Jesse that i am going to put to good use
watched him make a couple of realy killer points/blades
cant wait for him to post pics when he gets the chance
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 02:17:14 pm »
 I had a great time, saw some nice points made, and met some great people. Wish I had spent more time in the Pit, though. Being a Social Butterfly can take up you time. ;D ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JustinNC

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 02:21:19 pm »
I had a great time, saw some nice points made, and met some great people. Wish I had spent more time in the Pit, though. Being a Social Butterfly can take up you time. ;D ;)

It's ok Eddie...save some of those preforms you have and bring em back next year :-X ;D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 03:29:40 pm »
What Pre-Forms??? Some Kids set them down and splattered them all over the Benches...with Hammers and Rocks...... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

JustinNC

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 04:46:06 pm »
What Pre-Forms??? Some Kids set them down and splattered them all over the Benches...with Hammers and Rocks...... :P

Mike....sometimes text hides the sarcasm....so I add smilies...I missed the eye rolling, sarcastic smilie....but yeah, I know they beat them to pieces. What a shame.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 04:49:04 pm »
Ohh...I get it now............ ::).... ::).... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 05:40:16 pm »
eddie, i know what them kids did wasnt funny

It's ok Eddie...save some of those preforms you have and bring em back next year :-X ;D

justin,i dont care who you are,thats funny  ;D :D :D ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 06:12:41 pm »
I heard one little girl say that Girl Scouts would have never done anything like that.  :) ;D. I found a few they missed in the bottom of the bucket. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?