Linked Events

• Cross Plains Tx Get-together: June 10, 2011 - June 12, 2011

Author Topic: Cross Plains, TX Primitive Get-Together  (Read 15984 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Cross Plains, TX Primitive Get-Together
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2011, 01:52:40 pm »
Especially if they are released out of a 7mm Weatherby Mag............. :P .......  :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PeteC

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011, 04:17:05 pm »
Oh,I see. A "primitive " ballistic partition point. ;D  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 06:38:59 pm »
That's right Pete. Good thing too because George shoot it in the rear  ;D :D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 08:00:33 pm »
George....You Porked....The Porker.....Man...... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 02:04:09 am »
 ;D ;D

OK, first, it was a Barnes broadhead in .308.  I did not shoot the porker in the rear, he was steeply quartering away.  However, I did use the gutless quartering approach for reasons that were obvious if you were there and smelling him.  Tomorrow I'll work on the video, it came out very well, though there is no sound.

We had a great time, you would have enjoyed it Mike.  Next time.  Patrick was a great teacher and very patient with me.  At the end he really spent time helping me learn his indirect percussion method and I had great point going...right up until I broke it.  :( :( which was a common theme all weekend.  Thanks for everything, we will definitely do it again.  Thanks Cipriano for coming and bringing Diego.

Need sleep.
George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 12:30:09 pm »
Yikes, I forgot to take any pictures of the knapping... ??? ::)  You guys got some I think, Cipriano/Patrick could you post up a picture or 2.  Thanks.

And I forgot to mention the flint Patrick brought.  Thanks a bunch.

I'll start a new thread in the campfire section to show hog hunting pictures.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 01:11:43 pm »
Hmmm. .I think Cipriano took some knappin' pictures.  I'm uploading a video on photobucket and hopefully we'll be able to watch it soon.

It was definitely something I would like to do again!  The real treasure on that lease (other than the hunting) is the number of straight juniper trees!  Lots of bows in there!!!  Also some arrow-making wood: sage and yaupon holly.  I'll post some pictures of the shoots I harvested.

Thanks for inviting us, George!   ;D

And I knew that outhouse looked familiar...heheh
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 01:43:53 pm »
Here's a video...
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 07:38:58 pm »
That outhouse does look similar ;D ;D though I think it's nicer than ours.  I go out once a month at least to fill feeders.  As far as I'm concerned we can get together and do some knapping, bow work and/or shooting, and some hunting any time I head out there.  I really should try to sleep more though, I'm a zombie today ::).  I will bring the chain saw next time out and we'll cut all the juniper we can use.  The land owner wants it removed, we might have to cut more than we want just to keep him happy.  I need to bring home a section of mesquite next time too and do better about keeping the borers out of it.  Man do they love mesquite!

I'll be butchering tonight.  Going to keep a big roast out that bad boy to take to the next get-together.  Pork really works well in the dutch oven.

I do have one request though.  In your next video could we bring in a a stunt double so I look less like a cranky old man?  And, I'm never knapping in shorts again!!!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 11:40:34 pm »
Some pics
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 11:43:24 pm »
mo pics

Offline criveraville

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2011, 02:18:26 am »
Jorge here are some pics... They turned out well.. I will post more tomorrow.

Patrick that is a cool video. Thank you for taking it and posting it. Folks Patrick brought buckets of fine rock of all sorts.. I learned a great deal by watching him and Jorge made some good points.. Diego really got into the knapping.. He seemed to be naturally inclined to it.. Patrick has the patience and contenance of an elderly person out for a drive on a Sunday afternoon. I saw him turn some flint into a point that makes you green with envy, but the neatest thing was when his son asked for the point to touch "touch it up." he handed it over to him..  The twins  and Diego broke lots of rock and took rides on George's golf cart.. They kept us smiling and laughing. I got some neat things.. Crafty type of things that I will post pics of soon...

The time went by rather rapidly as it always does with great company and good conversation. It was a pleasure to meet the man behind the clever pictures.. That outhouse pic is dead on too..

Offline criveraville

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2011, 02:30:02 am »
George thank you for hosting this event and for inviting us. Patrick thank your for brining the various types of rock, tools and the twins to play with Diego. Thank you for the magnificent set  ;D ;D

Cipriano

Offline criveraville

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2011, 11:11:27 am »
Happy bow

Offline criveraville

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 11:12:28 am »
I meant happy boy