Author Topic: Cody's build along (finished pictures page 6 full draw added)  (Read 52107 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Cody's build along
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 06:24:10 am »
Looks like it is coming along nicely Justin,tell that boy we are proud of him,we need some new blood,can't start them to young.Builds character. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 08:50:13 am »

Really enjoyed the pictures Justin...Cody looks like he's making fine progress too! ;)  Is this bow destined for a gopher skin?
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 08:57:33 am »
Very nice pictures. Cody, congratulations on a great start! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 09:08:38 am »
Thanks everyone. Cody really enjoyed reading this.  Greg, Cody says, "Yea." He also plans to use a piece of gator skin from Eddie for the handle.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

330bull

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 01:14:04 pm »
Hi Justin,

Please do Cody a huge favor and buy him a pair of safety glasses OK?  I'd hate to see him lose an eye when working with power equipment.  You just don't know what power equipment is going to do at times.  Sorry I hate to be a knit picker but I have seen and personally been a victim of eye injuries.

Othwerise I loved the thread!!!

Joe

duffontap

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 01:41:38 pm »
Justin,

I have the shopsmith bandsaw.  With a sharp blade it does most of what I need it to.  My dad's garage has a new 18" saw that I resaw on and use as a little sawmill.  I want one but my bandsaw works well enough that it's hard to justify getting something else. 

The pool looks great.  You built it yourself right?  Pool of the month for sure.

J. D. Duff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 02:42:38 pm »
330  ;)
JD yes I did, finally found a category I can win the monthly prize for.   ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 07:40:46 am »
Remember Justin ,only ones a year. ;)We can't have you winning every month. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 07:46:59 am »
Ouch, was that directed at me Pappy? ;) ;D, it is a mighty fine pool Justin, is it magic like Pat's strings ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 08:06:17 am »
That is OK Pappy, I'm fresh out of room to build another pool.  They are a little more time consuming than bows are to build too.  ;D One a year is all I can manage. If I just had some place to build another.  Anybody want to volunteer some space for my next one.  ;D Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 10:11:54 am »
I am out of room also and wouldn't want another if I had the room.That is Joanie's baby.It
keeps her happy and yall all know that is what I am all about is keeping her happy. ;D
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 11:31:52 am »
Justin, so you think 10 is about the earliest a kid could build his own bow?  I ask because my 9-yr-old stepson likes fiddling in the shop but I don't know that he has the strength to actually push the rasp hard enough to really make something.  I haven't been pushing him to actually make a bow yet, figured I didn't want him getting frustrated and not liking the hobby as a result.  He watches pretty close, I figure he'll make a bowyer one of these days.

I sometimes set up woodworking stations for the kids, sawing, rasping and nailing.  They each get at one place and do it for five or ten minutes, then I ahve them rotate.  All of them like it, the girls as well as the boy.  If anybody needs a 12-coat hanger unit made of a 2x4 and a bunch of mismatched nails, we are mass producing them in my garage.  Let me know, I'll let them go cheap.  And they made me a fine sign for my shop that says "Hillbilly Workshop", with pictures of tools and half the letter written backwards.  That one's not for sale.

Pappy what kind of pup is that?  I like the tiger-stripes.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 11:44:10 am »
Justin, thats great you got your boy working with the tools so young, my son is 30 and I am now teaching him as he got into his house remodeling. Wished I would have started 15 years ago. My son has shown sporadic interest in bowyering, I might have to wait for my grandson to get me a serious student. Steve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 12:10:32 pm »
That is the way my son was he showed some intrest when he was 15/16 and now he is 21 and 3rd. year of college,I don't think that stooped his intrest but the girls sure did.Lennie it is a
Mountain cure,they come in Yellow /Black and Brindle.I had my pick and had never seen a brindle
except in a Pit Bull.She is grown now and weights about 35 lb. and a real tracking dog,I use her for wounded deer.I had Red Bones for years but they get pretty big and hard to handle.She works good on a leash and good around kid and grown ups alike. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 02:03:28 pm »
Lennie, I think you have to decide based on the kid.  I let my kids build their own arrows.  They really enjoy it.  I think I would start with arrows if I were you.  I started an article with the kids building arrows. But when my computer crashed I lost all my pictures.  We worked on it all day Monday, but took Tuesday and Wednesday.  Back at it today. I don't want him working on it unless he is really excited to do so.  He likes to build things to give to mom.   ;);D

Steve, Make sure you start that grandson early.  It does take a bit to keep them going with a draw knife.  We are having a great time though.  Justin

SW Utah