Author Topic: im doing research on bow woods... What are YOUR top bow woods recomendations?  (Read 17464 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Hickory, osage, red and white oak, and black locust are my favorites in no particular order. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Howdy,  I'm getting to like osage, though I have no chance of harvesting it myself.   I really like junipers, especially ERC and its very close relative-Rocky Mountain Juniper.   Ipe is a very nice bow wood,  It is usually backed, but only because the grain is so difficult to see, that making sure the back is straight grained is almost impossible.  I've also trie  Ash, slippery elm, hazel, yew, black walnut and hickory can all make great bows
Here is a sinew backed Rocky Mountain Juniper
Here is an unbacked ELB out of Rocky Mountain Juniper
And this one is an osage ELB       
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Catnapper

Ron that is a sweet juniper bow! Juniper is the only bow wood that grows  where I live in Northeastern Wyoming. I have yet to try it though. And I am not quit sure how to tell what kind of juniper it is.
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline FlaCubanRedneck

i have to say i love the support this community offers. you guys are some of the best people. im honored to know you all.. please keep it coming..!!!

thank you so much guys..!!!
"In the time of gathering together, make no arbitrary choice of your associates. There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong together." ~~~I Ching"

Offline SA

i like osage (of course) mulberry,elm, red and white oak. hickory and ash for backing..

this one is sapwood mulberry...
Shawn Acker

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
Osage best all around bow wood in my opinion.
Bamboo #1 for backing material.
Ipe for an awesome belly wood.
And soon to find out about Hackberry so the jury is still out on this one.

I have yet to search for any Hophornbeam, but that's next on my butcher's list of trees to drop.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Dang, I did it again! I just never post the pics right.
Here's the real picture of the unbacked ELB out of juniper.
Catnapper-  A good guidebook will help to identify your junipers.   Junipers do hybridize, so even the best guide may not tell you for sure.  To some extent it doesn't matter.   If you can find a straight grained juniper, it should make a bow.
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
mine is osage hickory oaks white and red then maple in that ordre trying out chinese privet and an unknown tree that was given to me after being debarked and also about to try sassafrass. and dogwood. will let you know how they work. in pics in order osage, hickory, oak
doc

Offline Gordon

Yew, osage, vine maple, guava
Gordon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Yew, made for the English Longbow.

Del
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 06:25:21 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

I forgot to give you some pics, sorry about that. I thought you just wanted our favorite bow woods?
Here's a few of my favorites.

Snake skinned BBO

My nephews with their Osage Longbows that I made them for Christmas 2010

Tucker 8yrs. old

Garrett 6yrs. old

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

Here's another Osage longbow I made for a friend of mine in VA.

Here's an Osage Indian flatbow that bends in the handle that I made for myself just because I always wanted one, and it shoots awesome!
If you want a nice forgiving, fun to shoot, zero hand shock bow..........Build yourself one of these! I tillered and finished this one in an afternoon, they are simple and easy to tiller. I think even a novice bowyer could knock one out in a weekend if they wanted to.

Offline druid

Ash definitly. Here it is always above 0.7 SG and realy good wood.

Offline Keenan

Yew!, Yew and Yew! ;D ;D  Juniper, Cascara, Vine maple

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
My favorite as of now is Vine Maple easily available where I live and makes great bows!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)