Author Topic: Swamp Grass?  (Read 5635 times)

Offline woodsman

Swamp Grass?
« on: July 15, 2011, 01:08:16 pm »
We seem to have more of this around here each year. Most people in these parts call it swamp grass and I'm wondering if any of you have tried making arrows out of it. It looks good, but looks can be deceiving. Thanks!

Bob

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Swamp Grass?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 01:16:22 pm »
Looks like reed.  It might be strong enough for arrows but you'll have to cut some to find out.  Post pictures of the cut stalks if you're not sure if it will work. :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline woodsman

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 01:28:22 pm »
I'm hoping to be able to cut some in the next couple days and I'll post a pic when I do. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Bob

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:30:40 pm »
Cool. 8)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »
  Just check out how thick the walls are and how much nobs left after it's filed  off.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline woodsman

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:01:51 pm »
Thanks crooketarrow, I'll do that.

jackcrafty, I cut a few this afternoon to check out. here's a couple pics. Looks a lot like what you were working with on youtube.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:11:32 pm by woodsman »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 07:58:19 pm »
The walls look too thin for good arrow material.  Might be good for display arrows?  Or for basketry?

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline woodsman

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 01:36:47 pm »
Sorry about bumping this back to the top, but I want to thank jackcrafty (and crooketarrow again) for their replies. I appreciate it.

I started out shooting traditional archery as a kid, went state of the art with training wheels and all in the early eighties, back to traditional in the nineties and now I have a burning desire to go primitive. Just seems like the natural thing to do at this point. I'll try not to drive you good people crazy with questions in the process.  ;D  Thanks again.

Bob

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 12:39:43 am »
That looks like the stuff I use for arrows.  I collect mine about five miles from cahokia mounds park in East St. Louis, IL.  Works great for me.

Offline woodsman

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 12:19:47 am »
Thanks Gun Doc. I'm just getting my feet wet and need some practice anyway, so I'll cure some and see what happens. I'm not gonna learn anything if I don't try. Thanks again for the reply.

Bob

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 02:58:24 am »
Ideally you want to cut it just before the first frost.  That way the walls are as thick as they are going to get.  The closer to the ground you cut it , the thicker the walls as well.  Where I get mine, it grows 15 feet tall.  Some of it is 1/2" thick at the base, some as small as 5/16".  on the bigger diameter stuff, you might be tempted to just use the top of the culm or shaft to get the desired diameter, but the walls will be much thinner. Just my experience anyway. Good luck!
        Josh

Offline douglasb

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 11:06:03 am »
hi,
            thats phragmitis. not to good for arrows  , native americans used it for fishing arrows . we have a ton of it growing around here
 along the banks of the chesapeake bay. if you have that stuff growing near you keep looking your bound to find some bamboo growing nearby too. a much better choice for arrows

Offline woodsman

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 11:01:29 pm »
douglasb, I've read a lot of good things about bamboo arrow shafts. The only bamboo that I know of around here, if I'm not mistaken, is what I was told is called Japanese knotweed. If It's the same stuff, or the knotweed works as well, I'll be in business. We have quite a bit of it around here. Thanks.

Gun Doc,  Is it possible that it grows thicker/stronger in your area than it does where douglasb is located? Climate maybe? Thanks Josh.

Bob

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:11:01 am »

Gun Doc,  Is it possible that it grows thicker/stronger in your area than it does where douglasb is located? Climate maybe? Thanks Josh.

Bob

Yes that's very possible, and there are many subspecies as well.  I didn't notice where you were at first. In my experience, the further north you get, the thinner the walls of the reeds.  I'm reasonably sure that it's due to the shorter growing season.  Sorry about that, should of paid more attention.  Anyway, even if it's too thin for you, it does make good lightweight kid arrows.  Here's some of my phragmites arrows. they're not pretty, but quite effective.

Offline woodsman

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »
No apology necessary Gun Doc, you and everybody else here have been a huge help. I was just trying to think of a reason for the difference in opinions between you and douglasb. Anyway, thanks again for your advise, It's much appreciated. Those are nice looking arrows too by the way. I bet they get the job done.  ;D