Author Topic: Swamp Grass?  (Read 5634 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Swamp Grass?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 02:04:55 pm »
I've used phragmites for arrows, needs to be heat treated or it cracks along the fibers real easy.  It is light, and not so strong.  PA had an artical several issues back that mentioned it being popular in Pursia or somewhere over there.  The stuff we have a round here is from Europe.  I self nock at the joint and wrap after heat treating and haft the point on at the joint also, never between the joints or it will crack.  I bust a lot of them during straitening due to it's fragile nature before heat treating.  I straighten and heat treat on the gas stove top w/ gloves on.  Thought I'd throw in my two cents.  I had a post on here about phragmites a week or so ago. Good luck!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline woodsman

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 04:22:28 pm »
bowtarist, I'm glad that you "threw your two cents in." Lots of helpful information there, thank you. Like you and douglasb said, the pragmites that we have here does seem to be really thin walled and fragile. I thought it might toughen up some as it cures, but it doesn't seem to be so far. I've read that it can take a month or more to fully cure, so I'll give it some time, then use some heat and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, at least I'll have learned a little more about arrow making and I need all the experience I can get. Thanks again!

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 02:48:46 am »
I make arrows from it down here in Florida. It is hard to get a huntin arrow out of it, but can be done, ifin ya use a foreshaft. What I like about it is with a 40 grain point, I can make some arrow weighin in around 200 grains. I shoot a 50# Howard Hill Cheeta, and these little arrows fly like lightning. I handle em with care as the walls are so thin, but my friends are always shocked when they see one a those spit out a my bow. Other than the obvious downsides, there is one you must keep your eyes on when ya use em. I use self nocks, plugging the end with wood putty. I shoot a lot, and these arrows fail approx. 3 to 4 inches below the nock of the arrow. Multiple shots weeken the shaft at that particular spot, causin em to collapse. Other than that, the arrows are fantastic to shoot. Natures Carbon is what I call this reed. I harvest 10 reeds fer every arrow I want. Some will check when dryin, some I break straighten em.

TheWildCat
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline aronadler

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 09:12:00 am »
Before some some days unwanted grass is also a big problem for me. But i have contact a & finally a got a rid from this problem...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:19:10 pm by Pat B »

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 12:52:30 pm »
JIM ham tells how to build them in his book Bows and arrows of the native americans. also the thompsons mention them the witchery of archery.ive cut a few but never got around buildinng any arrows out of them.give em a try.they obviously worked for some people.