Author Topic: Turtle Backs  (Read 5732 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: Turtle Backs
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 07:50:32 pm »
Ok last two pictures but thats kinda how I handle turtle backs with junk in the trunk. I don't work them normally because they are hard. I started this at 8am and it is 4pm now I took a 2 hour break.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:54:20 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Timo

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 10:56:46 pm »
Great job on a tough piece. Some of those long flakes would make good gun flints.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 11:52:01 am »
I I have not seen any gun flints.  Do they break them in half and the flake one end?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 02:41:44 pm »
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:46:11 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 01:05:41 am »
That is to cool that you can knap like that jack.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 01:05:25 pm »
Thanks Iowa.  My flintknapping buddies out here gave me some funny looks at first but they are used to seeing it now.   :o ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 01:12:34 pm »
I just doesn't look like it should work. I tried one day to do it after watching your video and it was a nogo for me.  I think I am going to have to see it in person.  You however make it work amazingly well.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 01:19:31 pm »
Watch my video "A Different Perspective" to get a view of my technique from a distance.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline aaron

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 05:45:39 pm »
i want to chime in on strategy for turtlebacks- preforms with one flatter side and one humped side. The humped side is difficult to thin. conventional wisdom says that this is a problem of centerline- it's hard to thin the humpped side because the edge is so far "above" center ( a "high" edge, when viewed with the humpped side facing down). therefore you could move the edge toward center , letting you get at the humped side. (others above suggested this) BUT- this sacrifices length and width fast. Therefore, I try to use massive percussion flakes to thin the hump with only one or two flakes which come off this "high" edge. It's kinda like a deep overshot flake. you have to set up steep strong platforms and give them a mighty whack- hard to do on smaller pieces, but i work in easy obsidian. I think this is illustrated by the pic above in timo's post where he drew a platform on that artifact photo.
to state this another way- I just ignore the rule which says platforms should be near or below the centerline. The flake wants to hinge as it dives into the hump, but with enough oomph and support, it can lead to some nice rapid thinning.
i didn't watch jackcraftys whole vid, so sorry if this is covered there...(cool technique, though !)
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bushman

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2011, 04:24:57 am »
Thanks for all of the help everyone, it has helped a lot. Thank you iowabow for taking the time to take all of them pictures to show the process and for posting them, was that a piece of coral? 
Bushman

Offline iowabow

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2011, 07:56:14 am »
No it was a piece of flint burlington.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2011, 08:43:03 am »
I just doesn't look like it should work. I tried one day to do it after watching your video and it was a nogo for me.  I think I am going to have to see it in person.  You however make it work amazingly well.

I learned from Patrick so I use his indirect percussion method too.  Even sitting with him, I really struggled with the technique at first.  It took the better part of 2 days to begin to "get it" so to speak.  The hardest thing for me was understanding how hard I needed to hit that thing to run a long flake.  I've finally ordered some plastic bars to make duplicates of his.  Hardwood just will not take the bashing.  Since I have a small wire in one end of the tool I do almost no pressure flaking except to sharpen and notch the point.  That's the next thing I need to learn.  I think my problem with turtle backs is that I don't do enough platform prep, especially abraiding, so I get the big flake when I go for it.  If the preform is relatively small, and most of mine are, I only get a couple of attempts at knocking the hump off before the point is too narrow or too short.  It is definitely easier to do with direct percussion, but if I miss a little bit I sometimes ruin the point.  I hate it when that happens.

Good thread.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2011, 09:41:33 am »
I think working a turtle back takes time and material.  The more you work at it the better you get.  Everyday I get better because of what I learn from the last point.