Author Topic: Why?  (Read 5833 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Why?
« on: September 09, 2011, 01:08:14 pm »
I started using boo shafts earlier this summer and was loving them..................not so much anymore. I had four split on me in the last 3 weeks between the nock sinew wrap and my fore feather sinew wrap, some went farther past the fore wrap. Why and how? I was told the spine was 50-55 and my bows all fall in that range at 28". I am building some POC for hunting as we speak, I dont trust my boo shafts anymore.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline markinengland

Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:23:34 pm »
PD,
I hope the boo shafts weren't from me?
Did they break on the shot or was the damage due to impact?
I've had bamboo shafts split in this place before, but only after extended use and when shot from bows far too strong for them in flight shooting type situations.
A simple split can be glued and bound till the glue sets and still be shot safely. Japanese Yumi arrows are apparently repaired in this way if the split is fairly minor. Only do this is the splits are clean and will go back tgether well though!
I have often had shoot arrows break at around the front fletching. I think that the sudden strong spot causes a concentration of stress if the arrow has a side impact getting through tree branches etc.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 05:38:51 pm »
Probably faulty materials ;)!

Try using upholstery thread as your binding material. Stronger than sinew IMO..........Art

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 06:19:31 pm »
Artsy the sinew is fully intact, I dont think the thread would matter. All split upon release Mark. I would guess none were shot more than 100 times each. None of them had any sudden impacts either, all have been shot into straw bales or foam targets all summer. They didnt come directly from you, but Im not sure where my source gets them from. Im not blaming anybody but the arrows themselves. It scares me to think of having boo splinters slammed into my forearm and hand!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:16:45 pm »
PD,
      Even though I wrap all my cane knocks I also stuff a small piece of cotton batten into the shaft so I have a 1/2" deep plug and flush with the bottom of the knock slot.....then i saturate that with watery superglue.....have not had a split since. Ya dont have to "pack" the cotton it simply holds the glue till it sets to form a real strong "web" inside the shaft.
    Just my way of doing it, so take it with a grain of salt.
rich

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 08:21:17 pm »
I take it your fletchings weren't wrapped like this.

From what I'm seeing these days, folks are scraping off to much of the power fibers weakening their shafts. Shafts won't shoot as well as they could, or stay straight....Art

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 10:34:03 pm »
Eddie probably wouldn't mess with fixing an arrow...maybe he'll chime in. Personally- I don't mess with repairing them. I've been scared from too many stories.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 01:26:57 am »
Drums:  Did you try inserting a small diameter dowel in the hollow ends of the shafts?  I've heard guys doing this.  I myself did, tapered my ends and installed glue-on nocks and points.  They seemed to hold up okay.  I don't have extensive experience with the boo shafts though.  I still use solid wood shafts more than anything.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline markinengland

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 06:49:47 am »
PD,
Some pictures would really help understand this. Can you post any?
I'm concerned because I use and sell Tonkin Bamboo shafts (Mahill Archery on Ebay) and might be able to learn what to look out for myself and warn my customers against. The question is whether this is conncected with any defect in the shafts, and whether it could be prevented by a different method of arrow construction or finishing.
Have you looked closely at your other arrows to see if there is any sign of splits in the fletching area? Any indication where in the arrow the split started? This can often show where the problem is, like when a bow lifts a splinter or break pointing to where it was stressed.
I wonder if this may have anything to do with moisture loss? A bamboo pole will split if it dries quickly so I guess a smaller arrow shaft might do the same if it got wet, took on water and then dried quickly again. What kind of waterproofing has been applied to them and are you in a particulalry dry area?
Also, do you know what kind of bamboo these are? Tonkin or something else?
Mark in England

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 11:11:01 am »
They are Tonkin Mark. I sealed them with 3 coats of Tung Oil. I live in Michigan. Its relativley dry here and my arrows are taken care of well. No Art, I didnt wrap the thread over the feather. I glued the feathers on then wrapped the fore feather and nock. I didnt sand or scrape any power fibers away. The shafts are almost solid through, there is very little hollow area in the shaft. I would have to try tio drill them out if I where to insert hardwood foreshafts in. The shafts came to me ready for sealer. Our internet at home isnt working now so posting pics isnt something I can do at work. I have since made 6 POC hunting arrows for the season and will continue to work with the boo. I have plenty of shafts and arrows and would like to keep using them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 12:46:31 pm »
I've never had a cane or boo shafts split because of impact or just because. I do very little scraping or sanding on them although I usually remove the corky ridge around each node. Like Art suggests, I'd say faulty materials. I have had Tonkin cane break at a node while straightening though.
  I don't add foreshafts or seperate nocks to cane either, Just haft points into the cane itself and cut self nocks. I used to add selfnocks only above a node but a sinew wrap at the point and nock eliminates the need for that. I used to add a dowel or bamboo skewer inside at the nock but don't do that anymore either.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline markinengland

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 06:01:00 pm »
That is odd then. There's no obvious reason why it should have happened but it has.
A totally off the wall idea. Would there ever possibly be a risk that sinew could crush a shaft? I know a light sinew wrap is used at points and nocks on Korean bamboo arrows. Would a heavy sinew wrap ever run the risk of crushing the "tube" of the boo? I'm not seriously putting this forward as a cause for your problem though.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 06:10:55 pm »
Mark, I noticed just about anything is possible when using natural materials. Only time I've seen boo split like that was from glancing the arrows off of objects. Now in Pearly's case, that's totally possible also;D..........Art

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:27 pm »
I stick a dowel rod in my nock in before I cut the string notch,as far as poc shafts they are a head ache,they break way to easy.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 10:02:55 pm »
Another thought! Hey Pearly, you get that whacking noise when you shoot those boo arrows? Arrows too stiff will smack the arrow pass as they leave the bow. Pearly stated he wasn't for sure on their spine weight. Now I know with tonkin, even small diameter shafts can spine out really high..........Art