Author Topic: My first bodkins (pics)  (Read 48442 times)

SimonUK

Re: My first bodkins (pics)
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 06:22:22 pm »
And we'd like to see you turn a candlestick into a horse shoe  :D

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 07:41:12 pm »
I'll see what I can do Simon ;D

Here's some more pictures :)

DBernier

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 08:14:19 pm »
Kvilgo, those are really nice for your first points. I am really interested in your forge. Good job.

Dick Bernier

duffontap

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 01:07:43 pm »
Thanks for posting those pics Kviljo.  That looks like a very simple setup.  I was looking into making a propane forge but it just got too expensive for me.  I think I could handle what you've got there. 

How long does it take to get the steel red-hot?

J. D. Duff

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 01:10:51 pm »
A section of rail road track makes a good anvil.   I like your simple set up. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 06:28:16 pm »
Just thought I'd share some more photos.

Mark Stretton has forged the one on the shaft. I think I've been a bit too much influenced by that point, because almost none of my points are under 1/2" size, hehe.

I started on a type 16 too, but I'm struggeling with the splitting and making the point pointy. ::)

And a group photo. That's the head of my new selfmade paddle by the way :) Haven't tried it yet, but I think it got a bit too narrow.

Click these links for larger pictures:

http://kviljo.no/bue/smi2/a.jpg

http://kviljo.no/bue/smi2/b.jpg

The whole forge cost me about 200$, because a bought a way too expensive board to make the bellow. ::)

When the forge is hot, and the blank is just not hot enough to hammer, it only takes a couple (5-15 perhaps - didn't count) of pumps to make it glow again. But it really depends on how thick the blank is, and how well the coal is covering the blank, plus how far it is placed from the air flow.

Oh, and you need a couple of spare hands. Mine is starting to wear out already.

SimonUK

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 08:03:31 pm »
Kviljo, how do you get the flattened bit starting to curve?

John Marshall used some sort of U shaped groove and hammered the centre of the flat bit into the U with the thin end of the hammer. Then he used a bit of tapered metal and hammered the socket round it. Do you do the same thing?

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 08:33:02 pm »
Nope, but if I had a real anvil with some accessories, I would do the same. But it works okay to do it on a flat surface too. Get it to curve just a little, hammer on it vertically, and it curls up nicely almost by itself :)

duffontap

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 01:52:57 pm »
Couldn't you shape the socket around a piece of re bar ground to a point?  That way you could get some consistency. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 05:38:32 pm »
Yep, bet that would work well. I'm going to fetch a big old anvil some day soon now, so I'll make some tools for it. Though I've found out that it really isn't neccessary to get a nice socket, it sure would be a lot easier.

SimonUK

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 06:56:20 pm »
It also might be possible to weld the overlapping flaps together.

duffontap

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 11:41:37 pm »
Yep, bet that would work well. I'm going to fetch a big old anvil some day soon now, so I'll make some tools for it. Though I've found out that it really isn't neccessary to get a nice socket, it sure would be a lot easier.

You need one of these:  (They're only about 2,000 bucks).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 07:47:01 am »
Ohh :D  That looks HUGE! ;D

"Mine" is weighing 150#

Making a tanged point there? - or are you making the socket after the point?

That looks like a little more effective furnace than mine 8) Maybe I shold give mine some walls and a roof too. Bet that saves a lot of coal.

duffontap

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2007, 04:05:05 pm »
The local blacksmith was just letting me use his shop one Saturday.  I actually have an open invitation to work there and use his natural gas forge and anvil.  He was pretty interested in my desire to make bodkins.  At that point, I had no idea what I was doing so I was just practicing shaping the necks and points. 

That was hard enough.  After hunting season I'll try some more. 

J. D.

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2007, 05:01:02 pm »
That looks very nice! The part I'm struggeling the most with, is hitting where I want, hehe.  ;D So I most often end up drawing the point out in a long and not so thick point :-\

But I see you don't have that problem :)