Author Topic: My first bodkins (pics)  (Read 48517 times)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Re: My first bodkins (pics)
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2007, 05:19:26 pm »
You could just put some bolts into the holes, or place a metal plate inside the brake drum.

I bet a regular cheap grill won't be able to withstand the heat, but a ceramic pot would perhaps. Though I bet there's a reason nobody uses them :)

SimonUK

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2007, 07:56:37 pm »
Thanks Kviljo. I'm off to the scrap yard at the weekend to see what I can find. Hows that number 16 going?

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2007, 08:52:11 pm »
Good :)

I haven't tried since that last one, just need to regenerate my hand first.

duffontap

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2007, 12:04:33 am »
I'm racking my brain trying to think of a forge material to use.  Could you just make one out of brick and mortar?  Would a 1' x 1'  box 6" deep be a good size?  I might try that if none of you can think of a reason why it wouldn't work. 

J. D.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2007, 12:07:10 am »
Oh yea! I remember. The borax acts as a flux to remove scale so you get molten metal to molten metal.  Dang. I have to try this. I've been interested for 30 years but never pursued it.  ::)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

SimonUK

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2007, 01:25:52 pm »
I'm racking my brain trying to think of a forge material to use.  Could you just make one out of brick and mortar?  Would a 1' x 1'  box 6" deep be a good size?  I might try that if none of you can think of a reason why it wouldn't work. 

J. D.

I've read that fire bricks are OK - not sure about the mortar. I don't see why we couldn't use anything that's been in a kiln - temperatures there rise to about 1200 celcius I believe. Maybe standard bricks won't last as long as fire bricks though.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2007, 06:06:04 pm »
I believe bricks are ok for the structure but you may want to line it with some kind of clay with a high fire temperature to act as a refractory material. Also plug in a bunch of grog ta act as a binder a stop to shrinkage. I think the clay also helps to keep the heat from being drawn away from the fire.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

DBernier

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2007, 10:22:23 pm »
If you want to make a "pot" to hold the coal, try finding an old deep cast iron frying pan and drill a hole in the center for the blow pipe. I've seen some pretty big ones at the flea markets. You can make a steel frame to hold it and utilize it to add pipe legs etc.

Dick

SimonUK

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2007, 06:17:35 pm »
Avoid flower pots guys. Mine cracked after a few minutes and flames started coming through the cracks. But it was very effective while it lasted - the metal got red hot in a minute or two.

I used the hoover in a bag as an air supply. Initially it produced far too much pressure and the flower pot resembled a small rocket. I solved that by cutting a few holes in the bag to reduce the pressure.

Offline possum

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2007, 08:02:45 am »
galvanized wash tub with an adobe mixture of clay (kitty litter), ash and sand around the inside  sloping down to form a trough around the tuyere (a black pipe with holes drilled in it. ).  Run the pipe out the ends so you can attach your air source.  I have made two of them.  Easy to make and functional.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

SimonUK

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2007, 10:41:39 am »
I was told to avoid anything galvanised as it gives off toxic fumes when heated. But you're obviously still alive  :)

Despite the difficulty finding a suitable container for the fire, I'm encouraged that it's easy to get the metal hot enough to forge. Charcoal worked a treat.

SimonUK

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2007, 07:08:59 pm »
I made a forge out of eleven normal house bricks today - no mortar, I just packed them close together and left a gap between two for the air pipe. It worked ok and I managed to flatten the end of a 1/2 inch iron rod.

My makeshift anvil got big dents though. I need something better.

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2007, 07:18:15 pm »
Nice!!

Great fun playing with a red-hot "don't want to touch"-thing, aint it? ;D

SimonUK

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2007, 08:48:17 pm »
 :D yes it's great fun. I could hardly believe it when I first took that glowing thing out of the fire.

I'm wondering if I'm not getting it quite hot enough. It's red, but not orange or white hot and it takes about 6 bouts of hammering to get it flat (could be my bad anvil). How long do you leave your rod in the fire? I leave mine about a minute between hammerings.

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2007, 09:22:08 pm »
When you heat it too much, sparks start flying of the steel. I try to get it as hot as possible, without starting the sparks, if I have a clear plan of how I'm going to hammer it.

A small piece heats quicker than a large, so I cut of the part I'm going to use firstly, and hold it with a plier. It saves some time during reheating I think.