Author Topic: Billy Berger will be on Discovery Channel This Sunday!!!  (Read 26981 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Billy Berger will be on Discovery Channel This Sunday!!!
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 09:11:12 pm »
Good job Billy.  It looked like you were the only one who knew what they were doing.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 09:36:36 pm »
i watched the show last night , and thought it was great. makes you wonder how you would cut it given the same situation. wish they would have given more air time to Billy and shown more knappin. the one thing i was curious about was the elk watching a group of hunters throw darts at them ,i have no experience with the critters just found it odd they weren't hunting some yonder

way to go Billy

I agree it was a very good show....I to wondered about the elk just standing there.  And at the end they showed a clip butchering the elk and the other elk were just grazing in the background.  It amazes me how some people think that meat is not a dead animal of some sort....it had to be killed sometime.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2011, 01:08:42 am »
Great show, I really enjoyed it. The water filter made from charcoal was very cool. Several members brought a lot to the show. The black haired girl, that was hating the cold, really made some interesting "spiritual" changes as the days progressed. Couple more weeks I think she would have passed on cooking and started eating meat raw.

Knapping and hunting is not new to Billy, but he kept a positive and supportive attitude for the entire show, well done dude!

Not sure how the group was chosen, but it did not appear that survival skills and outdoor experience was on the top of the list, so I am not surprised a few knowledgeable ones took the lead.

I would have liked to have seen a bow and arrows (like Otzi's) introduced instead of the atlatl, but I'm not the producer... :D

It was awesome to see an elk taken with the atlatl. Amazing how lethal that hit was.

Wonder if anything else in is the works??
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bubby

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2011, 07:47:13 am »
I thick the time line they were working on was pre bow, and they were trying to stay as accurate as possible, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2011, 02:00:05 pm »
I thought the same thing about the Elk. Two threads were started on another forum and were closed. The game animals are represented as wild but certainly seem farm raised. I cant stand canned hunts so I hope Billy will clarify if these are wild animals and not cows with no fear. It seems totally unatural they way they behaved. Also the kill shot showed a dart barely hanging from the neck. Then they stuck two darts in at point blank range and it appears penetration was weak. Did the atlatal bring the elk down? I dont know but would like to. I may be wrong and if I am I apoligize but it appears to be a fake reality show.
 Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2011, 05:13:55 pm »
Yea I've never been hunting myself but I do understand wild herd behavior a bit and that did seem a little suspicious... otherwise I loved watching that. Couldn't catch all of the second part of the show though.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline iowabow

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 07:47:43 pm »
I walked up to a deer on Sunday got within 80 he looked at me the whole time. Totally posuble with a herd that has little pressue.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 08:00:43 pm »
winning the lottery is possible, being in the full open slinging darts at elk ( in velvet ?) and them hanging around, odds are with the lottery.
Genesis 27: 3

Offline tarsus

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 08:23:17 pm »
I thought the show was very good.  I cannot stand the so called reality shows that are bombarding cable now, so I rarely watch TV.  If this were a longer series, I would watch it for sure.  I thought Billy did a great job of keeping a positive mental attitude which effects the attitudes of most of the group.  Some people you just cant help!  My family and I were waiting for them to introduce Billy at the beginning of the show because I was not sure who he was.  Since our last name is Berger, my youngest was looking for one of her uncles or at least someone she new.  After the intro, my family quickly informed me that we were no way related because the gentlemen that was introduced as Billy Berger was the size of Arnold ;), and I was definitely not. ::)

Great job on the show Billy!!  Please let us know if they have any future shows planned.

David 
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 10:30:58 pm »
 8) Good job Billy,Well done. >:D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 10:48:43 pm »
who here agrees, that billy would be a good candidate for a primitive survival show,  one showing how to live primitively, not just until you can get rescued like all the ones now
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2011, 11:41:00 pm »
I did see a disclaimer that stated assistance was provided to be sure no animal suffered unduly.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline jkyarcher

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2011, 08:11:21 pm »
Fishfinder

I also think they should make a primitive living show not just a survival short term show. They also need hunting shows which use self bows and other primitive equipment. Hunting shows get pretty boring when all they use is high powered rifles and compounds. The primitive shows could also show the making of the equipment.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »
It'll depend on whether they protect it.  Some stuff we can record off the DVR, and some we can't.  I can give it a try and let you know.

I didn't have any problem recording the 2 shows onto a DVD.  Madcrow, if you still want to see it PM me your address I'll send it to you. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2011, 10:19:00 pm »
 I saw the same thing Jim saw, assistance provided in taking an animal. It seem pretty obvious that the elk had never been hunted or it was a big, free range elk farm. I think that as soon as an elk was stuck that it was dropped with either a Tranquilizer dart to be finished off by the atlatl's or a real gun. It still made for a good show.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?