Author Topic: Billy Berger will be on Discovery Channel This Sunday!!!  (Read 26906 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Billy Berger will be on Discovery Channel This Sunday!!!
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2011, 01:52:26 am »
Pride in an easy kill that was not "sporting" is a modern concept.  VERY modern.  It has nothing to do with survival or subsistence hunting.  How bloody hard do you think it is to stick a harpoon into a whale?  But to the Inuit it is the difference between life and death, it ain't sport...it's making sure you don't sit around all winter watching your children's bellies distend from malnutrition. 

Paleolithic people didn't book guided hunts to Africa to challenge their jaded, overweight, lazy, too much pizza and beer guts so they could "put one in the record books".  I bet they were willing to follow the great herds and gleefully snatch newborn animals even before they were able to stand!  Great fair chase ethics, eh?

Sorry if I come off sounding a little angry, the show was there to give people a glimpse into the difficulties of our common ancestors, not perfectly replicate their lives.  We cannot do a huge film soundstage "Truman Show" style and take orphans to raise like nomadic hunter-gatherers just for entertainment on the one-eyed idiot box.  It's not real life, it's just TV! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2011, 03:30:02 am »

Is this show going to be on youtube?  I did not get to watch it.  My Girlfriend was supposed to tape it for me, but she taped "Man Cave" instead.  After my spelling it for her, several times.  And she says "I" don't listen!

Wayne

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2011, 07:32:53 am »
Well said JW, that should answer any qustions. :) :) Wayne I ant sure about that but if it is like most of the history channel shows it will be on several times. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2011, 10:47:05 pm »
I do have it on DVR.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2011, 01:41:04 am »
Darnit I missed this show and it sounds like it was pretty good, will it be playing again or can you buy it any where? Thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2011, 02:02:17 pm »
More on what we have turned into;

I read a narrative about a scout master who took a bunch of kids into the Arizona desert on a survival trip to see how they reacted.

He found that 20% of the kids thought it was a great adventure, ate bugs and lizards from day one and actually thrived on the experience.

60% of the kids took a few days of hunger to start foraging and eating what ever they could find but overall didn't enjoy the experience.

20% of the kids withdrew, wouldn't eat or drink no matter how hungry they were. These kids were quickly in a life threatening situation and had to be removed from the experiment.

The caveman project mirrors the same type of reaction from the participants as the boy scouts.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2011, 06:46:41 pm »
An unnerving number of people in this forum couldn't wait to go out to the Arizona desert with the Scouts, but voluntarily started eating bugs, lizards, bark, and drinking brown water out of a cow track!

;D

Eric?  Is that heavy dental floss hanging from the corner of your mouth or a mouse's tail?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2011, 02:02:50 pm »
Just saw this show over the weekend, it was very entertaining! Billy, you are the man! Would love to hear the "behind the scenes" stories about this production.