Author Topic: Not your typical Horn bow - Pictures for July BOTM  (Read 35829 times)

bowstick

Not your typical Horn bow - Pictures for July BOTM
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:19:18 am »
Hi all!  My name is Justin Steinmetz.  I've been making bows for about 8 years now.  Lately been getting into some fantasy style bows, but still functional without loosing performance. 

This particular bow was a first for me.  For me, and I'm sure other bowyers out there, once you get an idea in your head, it's there to stay until you make it a reality.  So this horn bow was a work in production for a little over a year.  With most of the time sitting there with me pondering what to do next.  Finally, after trial and error, the bow became functional.  Yet, it was still lacking something. 

I brought it to the Kalamazoo Show last year (unfinished) and it sparked a lot of interest.   Other vendors pulled the bow back and commented how smooth the pull was.  Then I Brought it to the west Windsor Renaissance show in NJ and it again sparked a lot of interest.  A character by the name of Dark Lord came up to me and wanted it for his costume.. but it was still UN-finished.  It only took me one look at his costume and I knew what the bow needed... Some giant horns near the handle! He was a first time archer and needed a bow to complete his character and this was the perfect one.     So we agreed on a price and I took it back to the bowshop and made some modifications.  A few weeks later, it was complete.  I was very excited to see him with it in costume, so we arranged a photoshoot in his backyard. 

Click here to vote for this bow for BOTM
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2983.0.html

The bow is made entirely made from exotic horns; gemsbock, blesbok and springbok horns.  The main part of the limbs are made from split gemsbock.  The larger horns near the handle are that of a blesbok.  The horns that wrap around the top section of the bow are from a female springbok.  Everything was roughed up with sharp razor and cleaned with acetone before gluing.  All the horns are attached with the mixture of the bowgrip and thickener, then secured with sinew.  The shiny finish is heat cured bowgrip epoxy.

The bow stands approx 60" tall and weighed in at 40# @ 28".  The weight of the horns in the handle reduce a lot of hand shock, and the natural spring of the horn provides a smooth draw and decent cast.  On my next one I plan on adding some re-curves at the tips to give the bow a little more character.  I also created a dozen arrows to match this bow.   

More Photos:

I hope you guys enjoy my creation.  I am entering this bow for July BOTM. 

Sincerely,

Justin S.
Bowstick Archery
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:55:50 pm by bowstick »

Offline jpitts

Re: Not your typical Horn bow - Pictures for July BOTM
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 12:41:58 am »
Wow....very imaginative. Only the second horn bow I've ever seen....I like the way you finished it too. That Dude looks like he just stepped of a "Moly Hatchet" album cover..... definitely goes with his persona....Good Job.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 12:53:49 am »
That is definitely a first from what I have seen.  I thought the weight would be higher with gemsbok. The tiller looks pretty good.  I don't guess you will be catching me wearing that costume.  ;D It looks a little warm, and kind of tough to hunt in.  Justin
Hey Jimmy, I had that cassette.  Dang talk about primitive..... cassettes.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 01:19:30 am by Justin Snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 01:58:21 am »
huh, for a version two, if you ever decide to do one, making the short horns work like in a pembscott (sp.) bow would be really cool, but for now that's one really evil looking bow. Nice job.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline Loki

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 03:49:05 am »
The Bow suits the archer down to the ground,impressive both of them!

But what the hell is that guy pretending to be?
Durham,England

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 07:42:09 am »
Like jpitts said, it gives me Molly Hatchet flashbacks. As soon as I brought up the pics, I started hearing the opening riff to "Flirtin' With Disaster" lol. That's a wicked, primal looking bow. If the string breaks, you could still beat your enemies to death with it..........
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 08:32:01 am »
Fantastical looking bow and the fact that it is functional makes it even better.
That dude would fit into Lord of the Rings with no problems. Orc King ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 08:36:33 am »
holy crap!!!!!!!! im gonna have nightmares.

Been flirtin’ with disaster,
Y’all know what I mean.
And the way we run our lives,
It makes no sense to me.
I don’t know about yourself or,
What you want to be - yeah.
When we gamble with our time,
We choose our destiny.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 08:48:25 am »
Now that is wild. :) I am like Forest Gump,and that is about all I have to say bout that.  ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jbell

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 09:07:02 am »
Very nice job on such a wild design. Should make a great human hunting bow for any orc, goblin or demon out there. ;D Think I will go hide in closet now!
Justin Blunt

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 09:10:28 am »
Interesting. Not my cup of tea but it is innovative. It looks like the limbs twist at brace in the first pic or is that just camera angle
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline gpw

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 09:40:36 am »
  I'd like to see explaining that to the Game Warden ....hahahahahaha   excess mass at tips may be contributing to Handshock ...

Minuteman

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 10:59:22 am »
That fellers got WAAAAAAAY too much time on his hands. :D

Offline Dane

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 11:12:50 am »
Minuteman, beware, he is the Dark Lord! :)

I'm curious about what the reasons are behind the spiky horns? Is there any justification, maybe a made-up Orc (Old English for goblin, I think it is) bow tradition?

Although, he looks human, so he is clearly a renagade or some other minion of Sauran...or is it Saruman?
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 11:29:22 am »
I need that outfit and bow for hunting on the crowded National Forest game lands around here. I bet people would get the hell out of your way and give you plenty of personal space ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.