Author Topic: Not your typical Horn bow - Pictures for July BOTM  (Read 35677 times)

bowstick

Re: Not your typical Horn bow - Pictures for July BOTM
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 11:39:43 am »
Thanks for the comments. 

To answer some of your questions...

1: Yes, the limbs are kind of twisted... as you can see from the first picture.  The horn is naturally  curved, so when i split it I had the choice of weather I wanted one limb to reflexed and the other to be deflexed, or one limb to curve right and one to the left.. which essentially lines the string up on center.  Granted the 1st choice probably would have shot faster, but I would have had to introduce reflex into just one limb to make them match... so it went with choice number 2.  Which worked out great.

2:  The small horns at the tips are hollow and small... on a normal longbow i would say yes it is probably adding to the hand shock... but I overbuilt the handle area to off set that.  This bow has less handshock than a hickory selfbow and shoots just as well if not better.

3:  The guy behind the mask is not as scary as his costume... At the show we were at, he came back an hour later without his costume on asking about his bow.... I had no idea it was him for the first few minutes of the conversation.  He got the armour from Ukraine and I am helping him try to get his character on the big screen.  Still quite a few years away from that though. 

4:  The gemsbok horn is hollow... and after I filled it my draw weight was 40#... during the year this sat there, I did make another one that I never finished and I gave it to my uncle.  I laminated the belly of the bow with hickory and dyed it black, this increased my draw weight to 57#.  Tillering a "twisted bow" is a little tricky, but it is not that hard to get the draw weight you want.

I like the idea of making a penobscot with the other horns, I will fancy the idea for the next year or so. 

Thanks again guys, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Justin

jamie

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 02:33:10 pm »
hillbilly if i saw you walking through the woods in that get up id shoot ya and eat ya. lol

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 02:40:02 pm »

The bow reminded me of Arnold Schwarzeneggers movie "Conan the Barbarian".  It would have fit right in... :)

Very interesting bow, and although I realise it was doctored up to fit the "Dark Lord" character...I'm sure I would have liked it even more prior to adding the extra horns. Great job though!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 06:18:12 pm »
Durned ol' Connecticut cannibals........ :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 09:49:14 pm »
  That's a pretty cool loking bow.Like Hillbilly,I'd love to show up at the check station with dead game looking like that.As long as nobody knew it was me ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Rich Saffold

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 10:44:06 pm »
You must be the horniest guy on the planet! :o sorry couldn't resist...Wild man 8), cool photos too..

Offline jpitts

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 12:31:00 am »
Cassette's are primitive? Darn....and I thought I was moving up from the ol 8 track... ;D
Yeah all he needs is a double bladed bearded ax and he'd look like that "DESTROYER" character.
Hillbilly...I wouldn't eat ya..but you'd be one heck of a trophy....LOL's   anything looking like that would be too tough to gnaw on....even with Heinz57
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Little John

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 01:11:41 am »
Cool bow and cool pictures, I really like it a lot.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Gordon

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 03:03:44 am »
It took a lot of imagination to create a bow like that (not to mention the outfit). I'm impressed that it actually shoots.
Gordon

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 11:16:03 am »
Good Grief! I'd thought I'd seen it all. This will be an interesting contender for July Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

a finnish native

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 09:05:04 pm »
Impressive work there man.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 09:37:54 pm »
I like it alot, that took some skill im sure...but would'nt this be considered a backed or composite bow?.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

bowstick

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 11:31:13 pm »
Good question... i'm not sure what category this bow should be submitted under... The horns are not backed they are just filled... which does nothing to help hold the horn together, it is only to give a flat canvas on the belly so I could dye it black. 

So what does category does it qualify for?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2007, 12:31:28 pm »
Someone thought this bow is horn backed hickory glued up with epoxy.  Lots of the backed bows are glued up with rather exotic glues so thats why I split out the backed bow category a year ago.  A self bow is a "stick bow", I believe.
 Justin, is the horn backed hickory correct or are the horns completely expoxy filled?
Help me out folks.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

duffontap

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2007, 04:13:10 pm »
I would say that if the limbs are made of more than one functioning material--it should be in the backed category. 

That is a killer bow!

J. D.