Author Topic: Not your typical Horn bow - Pictures for July BOTM  (Read 35830 times)

bowstick

Re: Not your typical Horn bow - Pictures for July BOTM
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2007, 10:58:20 pm »
The limbs are entirely made from Horn and filled with epoxy.  The handle the only thing that is hickory, the handle is only 10" long... faded into the limbs of the bow.  The bow was fully functional before the limbs were filled with epoxy.  the last 12-14" on the tips of the bow are solid horn, as it was not hollow up there and there was nothing to fill. 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2007, 11:33:09 pm »
Who the heck knows?  If we had a composite class, it would go there without a doubt.
If it was horn backed wood. I am still not sure.  We have clumped sinew backed bows with self bows because of they aren't backed with wood or boo.  Since the back of the bow is the same piece as the working core, I would lean toward self bow.  Call the filler, artistic.  I sure would have liked to see it without the filler.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 12:30:46 am »
I'd call it a horn self bow.  ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 08:20:59 am »
If the bow was functional before filling the horn then I'm sure it would not have been for long. The stress level on the horn must have been extremely high. An open horn like that would want to flatten when being bent and that would cause it to split open. Air has very poor compression strength
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

bowstick

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2007, 05:07:37 pm »
Mark,

I'll be honest with you, the bow was functional with no filler for almost 7 months.  As I stated before, this bow was a work in progress and i worked on it in stages.  We shot the bow over 200 times with no filler in it and no Ill effects on the bow. 

I'd say the bow would have held together without the filler just the same.

Justin

Offline Dane

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2007, 05:43:10 pm »
Did you shoot it a lot, put many arrows through her?

Is this the same bow you had on your site, asking how much you should charge for it? I recall that, with a happy face over presumably your own face.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

rapsod

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2007, 09:40:33 pm »
Poor devil. How did you pull all this horn from his head? ;D
In that armour you look like s/m "client". ;D

bowstick

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2007, 03:37:18 am »
Dane,

Yes, this is the same bow that I had posted on my own site about 7 or 8 months ago.  The picture of the person shooting it was my neighbor Joey (12 yrs old) with a happy face over his own.   Yes, we had put lots of arrows through it and it had been pullled back to full draw more times than it was shot as a lot of people handled this bow.

Justin

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2007, 04:22:09 pm »
Aye chihuahua!

That's quite a bow you have there.
:D
Doug from Missouri

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2007, 12:28:26 pm »

4:  The gemsbok horn is hollow... and after I filled it my draw weight was 40#... Justin

How much physical weight and draw weight did the epoxy add when you filled the horn?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

bowstick

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2007, 12:58:59 pm »
I used an additive in my epoxy called Cabosil, which is a light fluffy powder that increases volume and keeps the weight down.  The draw weight increased by almost 10#, the physical weight of the bow I'm not sure... i didnt weigh it.