Author Topic: Scotch Broom  (Read 8070 times)

UserNameTaken

Scotch Broom
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:15:11 pm »
Does anybody have pictures of Scotch Broom bows that they've made? What measurements work for a hunting weight broom bow? I see lots of broom around here, but it doesn't look big enough to yield a bow.

Offline deerhunter97370

Re: Scotch Broom
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:15:30 am »
I don't have pics, but I heard John Strunk has made bows from it. And around my town we have several Scotch Broom over 4" diamiter, and at least 5' long. There is a field about 10 miles from my house that is covered in Scotch Broom trees.
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:56:01 am »
I've never made one but a friend has with good reports. I can't get hold of him at the moment to get measurements....but it does make a good bow!

Offline randman

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:06:49 am »
I've spent the last hour trying to post some pics of mine but I keep getting the "failed security check - contact an administrator" message and I loose all the description text I spend time typing in. All the pics (5 of them) are under 200kb. Very frustrating. >:(   Anyone have any ideas about how to make this happen - administrators?....
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 06:30:57 am »
Best just to upload the pictures to a photobucket account or similar. Once uploaded you will find a link under your picture that is encased with IMG tags, simply copy this link and paste it into you reply here and your done ;)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 10:06:15 am »
I keep hearing about photobucket ,but I cant even figure it out anyone out there with the Patience to help out an illiterate old man ?!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 12:27:58 pm »
Hey guy...here's the link to sign up for photobucket. Sign up,send ur photos from and thru your email. Then you'll have to copy and paste from your photo album to post pics here. Send me a pm if you need anymore help......ill help ya ole man :laugh:

http://register.photobucket.com/?ref=joinus

UserNameTaken

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 10:38:30 pm »
DeerHunter, are you sure that what you've seen is scotch broom? We've got lots of it around here, and I've never seen it bigger than maybe an inch in diameter. If I ever see one with a 4" stump, it's mine!

Offline randman

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:41:45 am »
Here are a few of mine. The one on the far left was my second successful shooter that passed the 100 arrow test but it was only about 18lbs (but still wicked fast) so it now has 2 layers of sinew (my first sinewed bow) and I plan on adding a final thick strip right down the middle and give it a tiller touch-up. Right now it is about 30lbs@21" 43"ntn (full draw on the tree). The second from left is 50" ntn and 35lbs@24". It is 1" wide from the grip to mid limb the tapering to 3/8" nocks. Heat treated and also wicked fast (don't have a chrono so I can't give you a number just makes a good tthhhwack at 20 yds).
The 3rd from left is a character stave I've had to 35lbs@24" but developed a compression fracture I'll have to patch before I do any more to it or pull it further. Shot it a bunch even with the fracture and it hasn't gotten any worse. This stuff is tough and extremely hard to break and if you do break it (I am real good at breakin stuff), it doesn't explode with a bang like some woods just kind of crushes over and shreds on the backside.
The 4th from left is 60" tip to tip. 1 3/4" wide at the fade tapering to 1/2" at the tip. It's just now starting the tillering process. Very stiff and springy. Hope to get 45 to 50 lbs@28"
5th from left is 58" and is also very stiff and springy. Hoping I can get at least 50lbs from that one as well. Will be trickier to tiller since it has what I calling a knee on the lower limb. I decided if it makes it, Knee will be it's name.
3rd from right is 1" wide and 5/8" thick at center limb and I can't even bend it yet at floor tiller.
The one on the far right is 2 1/2" wide. It started out as a fairly straight piece, completely seasoned, and after roughing it out to that shape it took on a crazy amount of reflex. Just about every piece I've worked with has taken on reflex after roughing out so a word of advice: seal the ends after harvest and leave the bark on and don't rough it out until it has seasoned a month or two or it will completely bend around on itself like a crab bow. I've seen it happen. It gives up moisture really fast and will pull it self apart in little checks if the bark is removed too early.

Offline randman

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 07:44:50 am »
I guess it's only going to let me load these 1 at a time

Offline randman

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 07:45:55 am »
Braced view

Offline randman

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:01 am »
Scotch Broom and sinew

Offline randman

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 07:49:34 am »
last one

UserNameTaken

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 01:01:34 pm »
Rand, how big are the bushes that you're using?

Offline randman

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 05:18:17 pm »
It varies but I've been in Scotch Broom 'forests' around here where the broom is about 14' high. I have seen 4" and 5" dia. stuff. It's common to find annual growth rings 1/4" thick. That's how fast it grows and why it has become such a nuisance. It's one of those plants that nobody cares how much you take.
I recently found some lone stalks shooting up through blackberry brambles to reach the light 10' or so with nice straight stem with no side branches and all the broom at the top. Have to hack my way through the blackberries to reach it.