Author Topic: Scotch Broom  (Read 8119 times)

UserNameTaken

Re: Scotch Broom
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 09:52:55 pm »
I saw a bunch growing around the Cabelas store in Lacy, Washington. I don't think any of it was that big though. What region are you guys in?

Offline randman

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 05:35:00 am »
I'm in the city in North Seattle. Most of my SB I've gotten in Discovery Park Seattle. It's an old post civil war / Spanish American war fort that covers hundreds of acres. The park service rips the stuff out and piles it up to be chipped and I come along and pull stuff out of the pile. It can be deceiving looking at a thicket of it, doesn't look too big until you get into the grove and then it is bigger than it looked from the outside. Sometimes you can find thick stuff that is short but could be used like billets and joined to make a longer stave.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline aaron

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 12:54:41 pm »
thanks, randman, this is all good info. I'm gonna try scotch broom too- the park i work at has hunderds of acres.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

UserNameTaken

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 07:52:01 pm »
Yeah, I'm really curious about the stuff too. Just need to find a bush that's big enough.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 04:08:46 am »
The following was coppied from Tim Bakers bow wood list.

SCOTCH BROOM is a yellow-flowering little bush that grows along the roadways of California, watered by runoff from the crowned streets. It’s like countless other such plants, in that at first glance it seems more like a useless weed than the makings for an first-class bow. There are surely scores of such unsung shrubs waiting to sling arrows as well as the known woods if just given a chance. Scotch Broom is a great little bow wood. Dense and tough. If any size at all it tends to be twisted and gnarly. This wood tends to check easily when drying, so treat it like plum. Use trunks as narrow as 1” in diameter. Two such “trunks” spliced together at the grip will yield a 66” or so bow. The high crown will be safe, the resulting low mass only improving cast. The narrower the limb the longer the bow should be. But sub 48”, even 36”, self staves make evil little “Indian bows, the shorter ones limited to 40lb with drawlengths just under half of bow length. 50lb-plus, and stronger draws, can be gotten from mid-50” and longer bows.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)