Author Topic: Glueing on field points and broadheads  (Read 4746 times)

tradrick

Glueing on field points and broadheads
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:00:29 pm »
I was wondering what is some of the best stuff to use for glueing on your heads.I've only used that long glue stick looking thing that 3riversarchery sells.And about half the time I shoot it in my new McKenzie 3D turkey target the feld point comes off.Whats the stongest bonding stuff to use?Thanks tradrick

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Glueing on field points and broadheads
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 06:20:26 pm »
Fer-L-Tite hot melt works great, never had any problems with it. If you really want to get meideval with it, use 2-ton epoxy or JB Weld. Just harder to get the points back off if you want to.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 06:27:16 pm »
Soak your heads in alcohol or acetone to remove the oil that was applied during manufacturing. You can also rough up the inside of the points with a piece of sand paper wraped around the taper of your shaft and twisted inside the socket. Do this first then soak them.  I usually use Fer-L-Tite or whatever it is called with good luck. Art B puts a brass or steel pin through the point and shaft. They don't move at all.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

tradrick

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 07:34:06 pm »
Thanks guys I'll give it a try.tradrick

brokennock

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 10:33:07 pm »
 I use fer-L-tite. I would occasionaly have a head come off in a 3-D target untill I started super-heating the head with a propane torch when I put it on then dipping it in cold water. The heat expands the head, then the cold water shrinks it. I've not had a head come off since, sometimes it takes some work to get them off when I want to, such as when changing from field points to broadheads. Be carefull doing this with hunting points, don't let the flame touch the cutting edge or you'll ruin the temper. I don't heat broad-heads as hot as field points.