Author Topic: shooting in prone position  (Read 11254 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: shooting in prone position
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 01:42:14 pm »
No proof needed for me, Like I said thats just awesome.  :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Will H

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 02:21:23 pm »
Oh I see...I thought I read that you killed 36 since 06. 36 in 21 years makes ALOT more sence.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 08:30:39 pm »
  I only wish WILL I've only killed a 6 and 10 point since I started back 08. Shooting at mature bucks with just a self bow you learn to eat your tag once in a while. Not to hard to see them getting inside 20 yards is something else.
 Pappy I just love hunting with a self bow and do every min. I can. I one of those people blessed or cursed depending on how you look at it. With engery to burn.
  My grandad live by this and never even knew it.
   NEVER SLOW DOWN YOU NEVER GROW OLD.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 06:56:44 am »
I do also and that is all I hunt with, I hunt hard and may not be the best hunter but when I seen 36 mature bucks in 4 years ,well to say the least I was impressed or in doubt, one or the other,I hope you can understand that ,and have no hard feelings about me questioning it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 08:12:43 am »
        No hard feeling and I under stand. I have friends that bring people everyyear that don't beleive what my friends tell them. Untill the come and see my mounts and skulls. Even then I've even in acused of buying or spotlighting them. All my bucks but one was killed legal. Youth acounted for the one. Killed 2 days after season with a bow.
  I also hunted long enough that when someone bost about killing mature bucks on a regure basic's with a bow, self bow at that. ( I don't live in the mid west)  It always raises and eye brow (both). I have farms that I hunt low pressure just me. Only hunt the wind period, only go to my stand never walk around (in and out ), only scout and run cams in the winter, ride when I can a big plus in land land.. Basicly I leave my farms along except when hunting. Except glassing in the summer from a far.Things you must do to have mature bucks move in the daylight with out the rut kicking.
 I catch a lot more slack about my the gobblers I have 15 self bow gobblers (no jakes) and 31 shot gun. I stoped gun hunting them in 04. My grandad turn over in his grave if I'd shoot one with a rifle. I was raised to call your birds up close. And he did 20 ga model 12 only gun I ever seen him use. And he killed over 300 gobblers with it. I counted his beards 309 he said he shot up and couple he did'nt save.
   SO KNOW HARD FEELING FROM THIS END.

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 12:42:53 pm »
I hunt in AZ. Open terrain, cat-claw like brush grabbing at your legs, loose rock, and brittle brush. At the same time hunting quarry (Coues WT, Muleys) so skittish from predation that its TOUGH just to get into 80yds let alone selfbow range. But its possible. I have 4 buck's under my belt 3 with a compound and 1 with a recurve. I'm still trying with my selfbow (57# Mtn.Ash Flattie).
My best method for staying close to the ground is sittin on one leg while crounched down and extending oppposite leg out. I've even used this method out in the open flats before to kinda scoot along ever so slightly for a shot.
Shots out here in SW are usually 30yds or more. I practice from 30-45yds out but plan to shoot 30yds and under. But sometimes when oppurtunity arises I'll take a shot at 35yds if everythings in order, unobscurred and broadside target.
Forever making arrows!

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 11:08:15 pm »
I'm really enjoying this back and forth, great stories CA!  I thought I'd try something last night (at the school gym where our club shoots 2 nights a week) off my back, I held the bow with my palm up, shot off the wrong side and drew 3 fingers but with my palm out instead of in. I forgot that my bow was built such that a natural wiggle cheated the string alignment towards center shot, and far from center shot if shot off the other side of the bow.  Well lets just say I was shortly very happy that the steel basketball backboards are as sturdy as they are!  I was also very happy about the limited turnout (few witnesses) last night.  Not so happy about the arrow, but hey! Now I get to make another one.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 09:02:25 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 10:43:33 am »
  RABID I hunted white tails in 6 states and sika 5 times in JAN down on the EASTERN SHORE after our season closes.  I'd kill to hunt COUSE bucks. Although I know were in way different terrain and don't know if this is possable. I set up all my (ground) sites in the winter after our season. And hunt off milk creates. Must have 100's scatter about.
     All my shots are close 15 or under depending where I set up.Longest 18 shortest 3 yards. But I sure if you scout you out a few spots where you can set up. Where you can let the buck pass you so he's quartering away.  I been busted so many times trying to draw on broad side bucks. Most people would quit.
   But I made friend by chance many years ago. I was dragging a buck 1 1/2 ,2 miles from my truck. When I met this old guy on the logging road. He saw my self bow I saw his. We set and talk and by the time we got my buck back to my truck we were friends. He was half IROQOUIS Indian and had been building selfbows for over 50 years. (CROOKETARROW) He couldn't read and could only write a few words. And thats the way he spelled it. Only my first year building bows that was 20 years ago.
  He died almost 5 years later 71. He built bows from a kid up but said he was in his teens when he really serious about build bows and hunting with them.. So it you want you could ad a few years to that 50 years if you wanted.
  He said this was passed down to him and his people once lived by the.bow  really want to draw and not be seen you have to let the deer pass you. I do the same with gobblers WORKS ever time. It's differently all in the set up.
  Or do you stalk there, wast of time here. There is one time and thats when the winds howling I put on my ghillie and work standing corn. Peaking each row slowly I arrowed 5 bucks 2 in there beds.  If you cut across use the the rows with the wind at your face looking down each row as you go.
  If nothing turn a round go back through the same as you just came. Move down 75,100 yards and go again. Bucks bed at all rock breaks, trees anywhere the farmer can't plow up.
  I'd think you do a lot of glassing and stalking way to much pressure to do that here.
 ZEN never shot off my back but set it done at 2 shoot exposes.

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 12:20:51 pm »
Great story Crooket. I like that sorta stuff with tradition. I try to replicate my bows/arrows to represent my heritage "Apache"style. I make reed composite arrows and a few others. I collect my materials locally, but with one exception a hickory bow. I got the stave from a friend thru the old indian barter system.
 But anyway if ya ever get to hunt coues WT. I tell ya its a challenge to hunt the SW deer let alone cover its rugged terrain. I hunted'em all my life, many kills with a rifle but 0 with a selfbow. Typically out west its spot-stalk. Sit for hours and glass til a buck is spotted. Then develop a game plan and proceed to get BUSTED! ;D One trick I learned from the old timers that hunted with a bow is that they would strip down to nothing but a loin cloth and moccasins. In this way they moved quicker, dead-silent even moving thru brush. It'll tear your legs to shreds and cold but my ancestors were a tough breed. Some of the books I've read about them is amazing!!
The deer behavior out here is unpredicatable since forage is so scarce deer are always moving. One day you'll find'em here next day over the next Mtn. Early season you can sit a waterhole but I have no patience. I'd rather find a snoozen buck in the midday shade and stick him. Once the rut hits its ON. Bucks bird dogging a doe's scent trail is an easy target. I try to move ahead and intersect.
All my bows kills were under 28yds. But I still practice out to 40+yds even 50 sometimes. Long distance practice makes a 20yarder a "chip shot".
Forever making arrows!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 10:11:11 pm »
   SOUNDS COOL
  I decoy a lot and have had really good luck at it. Have you ever decoyed. Seams the thing to do. Make those bucks come to you. Decoying tailor make for open land. Add a tail and fishing line learn to call. Got to work. Could be the ticket your looking for.
 I also collect local materals. I've got a couple hickory staves refexed added. And cut alot of dogwood shafts after the first. What you have to trade.

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 12:04:17 pm »
Decoying could work and sounds possible. But honestly....it sounds easier said then done. Coues deer hunting is about covering difficult terrian, glassing and wind direction. Coues WT never seem to be in same area. I wouldn't wanna carry more then I have to. I need to not only hike miles thru hills, deep ravines and rocky canyons. But if I'm "lucky" I get to hike back with 80-100lbs of deer meat boned out. No dragging deer or ATV's out here. I'd like to see someone drag a deer thru some of the stuff I hunt here ;D. There just ain't NO WAY other than on ones back. Picture this...hunting in sheep country but instead of sheep your hunting deer. There ain't no nice flat farm or bottom land here with easily accessible trails or roads nearby. Its a whole different ballgame out here. I heard it called "A poor mans sheep hunt".
Forever making arrows!