Author Topic: bow making "club" in kansas city  (Read 37249 times)

Offline sadiejane

bow making "club" in kansas city
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:24:58 pm »
we are not a formal "club" tho we are thinking of a name and logo-for fun!
but we meet every wed and work on bows, and shoot.
we meet at 5p to shoot then inside to whittle wood round 6 or so.
its a very informal group.
everyone is on a different stage of their bow at any given time. no "rules"
dont have to show up "on time"
folks have different work schedules that dictate when they can get there which is fine.
have plenty of tools and benches if you dont have your own.
seasoned osage orange staves for sale very reasonable if you dont have wood.
our "instructor" has been making bows about 13 yrs.
periodically we have others from pa and elsewhere who show up.
many with yrs of bowmaking experience
the class is held in the "west bottoms" area due west of downtown kcmo.
1524 st louis.
if ya get there after 6p bang on the door loudly(we are in the back of the bldg)
or come around to back door and bang there(more likely to hear you)
we can also exchange phone numbers and i can give ya detailed directions.
and i usually send out a text every wed am as a reminder.
you can also call when you arrive and i will be sure to let ya in.

just a ragtag bunch of artists hippies and rednecks who love to make and shoot bows
anyone who wants to make bows is welcome!

wild women don't get the blues

Offline Josh B

Re: bow making "club" in kansas city
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:32:10 pm »
I was there last week and had a great time visiting with everybody. I even had the privilege of watching a beginner take is first few passes with a drawknife on his first Osage bow.  Under the knowing eye of Wayne (a very knowledgeable bowyer IMHO) I'm sure the fellow will be flinging arrows in no time.  Sadie does some very fine work as well and is a joy to talk with.  If you are in the area, it is worth you're time to visit.  I know that I sure will when I can.  Thanx for the invite and warm welcome Sadie,   Josh

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 06:20:32 pm »
well shucks..thanks josh!
it was pleasure to meet you too.
and i sure do hope you can make it back again soon.
we got lots more to talk about and i know i'm gonna learn lots from you.
be safe out there

Offline occupant

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:45:59 pm »
Where does everyone meet at? I've been working on a few bows with no guidance other than some books. They are shootable, but not what my goal was. I'm presently trying heat tempering, not sure about the results yet. I need to let it re hydrate before shooting, but I'm afraid I made a shootable bow into scrap wood.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:59:35 am »
"the class is held in the "west bottoms" area due west of downtown kcmo.
1524 st louis.
if ya get there after 6p bang on the door loudly(we are in the back of the bldg)
or come around to back door and bang there(more likely to hear you)
we can also exchange phone numbers and i can give ya detailed directions.
and i usually send out a text every wed am as a reminder.
you can also call when you arrive and i will be sure to let ya in."

if ya pm me yr phone number and a name to attach to it, i will gladly text ya on wed as a reminder
some of us arrive around 5p to shoot bows in the woodlot before going in to whittle on osage

Offline occupant

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 03:59:09 am »
ok, that's not far from where I work.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 12:33:10 pm »
occupant -glad you were able to make it by last wed. come on by anytime and bring a bow to shoot or work on!

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 05:51:11 pm »
greetings folks-
posted this in the flintknapping forum but thought is toss out here in case anyone misses it.
we sure would like to add this to our classes.

wanted to see if any yall are or know any knappers in the kc area?

we have out little bow making group on wed nite near downtown kcmo,
and were thinking it sure would be great if a local knapper would be willing to come periodically
and teach some of us a few things.

we have ample space outside but that would have to commence once it gets a bit warmer(tho we do have fire capabilities)
and the light stays later. we could also work in the shop but would have to take care not to leave a mess.
the outdoor area is graveled and unless it really got outta hand, "new" gravel could be left there.

it would not need to be on wed nite. it could be bout any nite of the week(tho i think most folks have commitments on weekends)
it wouldnt have to be every week either.
once a month, twice a month, whatever works for the person(s) who would be willing to teach.

please shoot me a pm if you r in kc or know someone who is.
sure appreciate any leads yall can provide.

we can either provide our own rock(ive a pretty good pile of missouri and arkansas chert)
or buy from anyone who would like to teach knapping

thanks

Offline occupant

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 10:42:52 am »
i forgot to ask the person that i mentioned a month ago, have to work tonight i can hopefully remember to ask him then.

Offline Tshank

• Its not always about the bigger stick...
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 04:19:36 pm »
Just joined the site and looking for some other Bowyers to meet in KC.  12th and I35 is a fair drive for me, so probably won't be able to make it until closer to 6 when I get the chance to make it out.
Where there is a will, there is a way... and my way is a nice longbow drawing around 55#.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 05:42:23 pm »
Just joined the site and looking for some other Bowyers to meet in KC.  12th and I35 is a fair drive for me, so probably won't be able to make it until closer to 6 when I get the chance to make it out.

welcome to pa and sure hope ya find yr way downtown and hang with our little mottley crew.
6 is fine, or whenever ya can make it. there is no set time to arrive nor leave. we all have different schedules
your welcome anytime

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:18:08 pm »
I wish I lived closer to you all. I'd be there every Wednesday.  Maybe one of these days though. 

Sadie, I put together a bow building workshop every year and get about 12-15 people every year and would love to have more.  I'd like to invite you all out this time around. Normally I have it here in ofallon, mo, but I have been thinking about moving it to my farm in mid mo. and make it a weekend thing. I try to have it in Feb, but maybe march would be better weather wise. Anyway, I'm glad to hear about your club, and wish there was something like that around here. I've always wanted to start something like that.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 11:27:36 pm »
Would love to join y'all sometime. Im near Columbia so I'll hafta wait till I have a Thursday off to recover, lol
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 02:16:22 am »
Its well worth the trip! I make sure to stop in when I'm in the area on wednesdays.  Sometimes I stop in when I'm not supposed to be in the area! >:D  Don't tell my boss :-X  Josh

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 06:27:14 pm »
I wish I lived closer to you all. I'd be there every Wednesday.  Maybe one of these days though. 

Sadie, I put together a bow building workshop every year and get about 12-15 people every year and would love to have more.  I'd like to invite you all out this time around. Normally I have it here in ofallon, mo, but I have been thinking about moving it to my farm in mid mo. and make it a weekend thing. I try to have it in Feb, but maybe march would be better weather wise. Anyway, I'm glad to hear about your club, and wish there was something like that around here. I've always wanted to start something like that.

cool you're doing a weekend. we did one two years in a row out by baldwin ks. second year we didnt have very many folks so i couldnt convince wayne to do it last year.
please keep me posted about what yr doing and when. is there plenty o room for camping? weather can be iffy anytime o yr. thanks