Author Topic: Another Texan here!  (Read 8358 times)

Offline Blood Trail

Another Texan here!
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:31:22 am »
Well, actually I'm from North Carolina but haven't lived there in about 12 years. I moved to Fort Worth after spending 10 years in the Marines (Ooh rah!) where I work for Lockheed Martin (JSF F-35 and F-16 fighter programs).  I've only been bow hunting since '06 and shooting trad for a little over a year now. I've been chewing at the bit to build my on bow. I got an Osage board and some red oak at the house that I have no clue what to do with it! LOL! This site was recommended to me from those boys over at Texasbowhunter.com. I have so much respect for y'all bowyers and I can't wait to pick yall's brain! Thanks for having me! :laugh:

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Another Texan here!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:58 am »
Welcome aboard Blood Trail! I'm just down the road from LM in Springtown - down 199. I have hooked up with a bunch of these guys over the years and good as gold all of em. Seems like these days you might be lucky to catch me if ya lived next door :D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:52:56 am »
Welcome Blood trail,you will like it here,just ask away,lots of folks here ready and willing to help.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:25:47 am »
Woohoo, another Texan on the forum.  I'm in St Paul, Texas a suburb northeast of Dallas just a bit.  Get in your truck and drive over to my shop and we'll whip you up a bow in no time.  I don't do red oak, but if you come over I'm sure there's an osage stave in the shop you can play with or we can work on your board.  I just put up a thread looking for folks in this area to go cut osage with me if you're interested.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29866.0.html  Also, I try to host a couple combination flint knapping/bow making/hog hunting outings at the deer lease a couple hours west of you near Cross Plains.  Here's  one of those posts: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25825.0.html  You're welcome to join us.  I try to schedule them when the weather is perfect in the spring...probably sometime Mar-May.

Welcome, and I'm serious about helping you build a bow.  I've helped 3 guys make bows since moving to Dallas in 2007 and there are 3 more in progress, albeit very slowly.  People are sooooooo busy these days.  I will provide a stave if you come.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:46:48 pm »
Welcome.  I am in Stephenville. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 03:42:50 pm »
HEY from Houston!
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline Blood Trail

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:30:43 pm »
Welcome aboard Blood Trail! I'm just down the road from LM in Springtown - down 199. I have hooked up with a bunch of these guys over the years and good as gold all of em. Seems like these days you might be lucky to catch me if ya lived next door :D.

Sweet brother! I live in Lake Worth! ;D

Offline Blood Trail

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 04:33:46 pm »
Woohoo, another Texan on the forum.  I'm in St Paul, Texas a suburb northeast of Dallas just a bit.  Get in your truck and drive over to my shop and we'll whip you up a bow in no time.  I don't do red oak, but if you come over I'm sure there's an osage stave in the shop you can play with or we can work on your board.  I just put up a thread looking for folks in this area to go cut osage with me if you're interested.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29866.0.html  Also, I try to host a couple combination flint knapping/bow making/hog hunting outings at the deer lease a couple hours west of you near Cross Plains.  Here's  one of those posts: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25825.0.html  You're welcome to join us.  I try to schedule them when the weather is perfect in the spring...probably sometime Mar-May.

Welcome, and I'm serious about helping you build a bow.  I've helped 3 guys make bows since moving to Dallas in 2007 and there are 3 more in progress, albeit very slowly.  People are sooooooo busy these days.  I will provide a stave if you come.

George

WOW...i don't know what to say...THANKS is too easy. Brother, thank you for your offer! I will take you up on that! I work with a rock hound that gave me a piece of obsidian (sp?) becuz I wanna learn how to knapp! I'd like to get up your way sometime real soon! Once again, thanks!!! :laugh:

Offline Blood Trail

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 04:34:07 pm »
Welcome.  I am in Stephenville. 

Cipriano

I hunt in Dublin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 06:45:16 pm »
WOW...i don't know what to say...THANKS is too easy. Brother, thank you for your offer! I will take you up on that! I work with a rock hound that gave me a piece of obsidian (sp?) becuz I wanna learn how to knapp! I'd like to get up your way sometime real soon! Once again, thanks!!! :laugh:

No biggie, watching somebody shoot the first arrow out of their first bow is one of life's great pleasures for me.  ;D ;D ;D  There's a corner in my shop with a tarp and about a half inch of flint shards on it where I knapp.  I'm not very good, but I can make a point worth hunting with.  I'm going out to the lease Friday and will take my new short osage bow and try to get my first deer with a stone point.  I've killed lots of them with steel points but never stone.  I'll PM you my contact info and address.

Cipriano is a flint magnet and a heck of nice guy.  You must drive right by him on your way to hunt.  I haven't met Cowboy yet, but not for the lack of trying. :'(  He's hard as heck to keep in the state.  You need to meet Patrick (aka jackcrafty).  He taught me nearly all of what I know about flint knapping.  He's down near Midland I think.

Do you hog hunt at all?  I like that about as much or more as deer hunting.  I'm always looking for company hog hunting if I head to the lease.  Hopefully we can do some of that too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Blood Trail

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 06:56:16 pm »

No biggie, watching somebody shoot the first arrow out of their first bow is one of life's great pleasures for me.  ;D ;D ;D  There's a corner in my shop with a tarp and about a half inch of flint shards on it where I knapp.  I'm not very good, but I can make a point worth hunting with.  I'm going out to the lease Friday and will take my new short osage bow and try to get my first deer with a stone point.  I've killed lots of them with steel points but never stone.  I'll PM you my contact info and address.

Cipriano is a flint magnet and a heck of nice guy.  You must drive right by him on your way to hunt.  I haven't met Cowboy yet, but not for the lack of trying. :'(  He's hard as heck to keep in the state.  You need to meet Patrick (aka jackcrafty).  He taught me nearly all of what I know about flint knapping.  He's down near Midland I think.

Do you hog hunt at all?  I like that about as much or more as deer hunting.  I'm always looking for company hog hunting if I head to the lease.  Hopefully we can do some of that too.

George

Brother, I get the shakes harder with pigs then I do deer! Something about them lil boogers that gets me outta my skin!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 07:59:20 pm »

[/quote]

Brother, I get the shakes harder with pigs then I do deer! Something about them lil boogers that gets me outta my skin!  :laugh: :laugh:
[/quote]

Something about them lil boogers that makes me wanna get them outa their skins!  yum
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Blood Trail

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:10 am »

[/quote]

Something about them lil boogers that makes me wanna get them outa their skins!  yum
[/quote]

hehehe.... ;D

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 12:32:09 am »
Small world. I teach in Dublin:)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 02:55:47 am »
Proud father of a U.S. Marine here to far away to join in your guys' fun any time soon but if you don't take georges offer I'll cry right along with George. ;)
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour