Author Topic: G notching demo  (Read 10528 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: G notching demo
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 04:08:11 pm »
Cool I think I have all that stuff laying around ;D might give one a try. Whats the wood for?

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 04:09:56 pm »
The wood goes inside to push the horse shoe nail forward.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 04:11:48 pm »
Ok gotcha thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 08:32:09 pm »
Thanks John.  Great pictures and descriptions.  The only problem is that this is exactly how I try to do it now.  As usual, the problem is not so much knowing what to do, it is executing it. :-[  I do see a difference in the tool.  Mine is thinner and is a flattened ice pick so it looks like a very thin screw driver, though I have rounded the edges.  So, when I've started my notch it is very  thin (but not for long normally).  I typically snap off the corner trying to restart a stalled notch.  That's definitely what happened in that last one I posted.  So, I think my problem is more platform preparation in the notching. 

I do want to go down and visit Tower.  I need to be making a bunch of un-notched points in preparation. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 08:42:41 pm »
Shannon showed me a great way to restart stalled notches with a punch.  I will try to find the nail that I made and demo that process.  Hey Shannon if you are reading this could you post a picture of that nail punch.  Anyone that has a punch should post it also a diamond file works great.  I very rarely grab the file because I work hard on the platform thing. 

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 08:49:00 pm »
And the actual notching point is made of?
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Tower

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 09:19:06 pm »
Great thread. Love the detailed explanation & photos. Pertty neat way to hold the horseshoe nail. Many thanks again for the point.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »
All right, I went out and tried John.  I stalled one notch on the second flake.  On the other side, I blew it out on the third flake.  Good grief.

It was big enough to salvage.

Notching is so frustrating.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 12:41:24 am »
George, I have the same problem.  I always stall them, I am starting to wonder if it has somthing to do with how thin you get the point............. ???
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 05:47:50 am »
yep, the thinner the better when your notching, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline iowabow

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 10:20:13 am »
I think you have good notches for what you started with.  You can still work them a little more narrow I think.  I would say prep the platform real good take a small stone and abrade it.  The reason why is because the thicker stone will require more pressure and therefore will want to collapse. A stall is the result of a crushed platform on both side. A platform collapses because it is to weak.  I will try to post pictures of a thicker point but the notches will be a little wider but should not blow out the sides. The notch on the right deep in the notch looks sharp and would need to be harden before I could remove a flake from it.  The notch on the left deep in the notch and on the edge has flattened and so the platform is not good.  Pressure from the otherside would remove very small flakes and help abrade the platform so that a good flake could be removed with adequate pressure.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:25:31 am by iowabow »

Stringman

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 11:09:12 am »
My experience is that, the tougher the stone the wider the notch. If i wanna make narrow notches I first must have a thin point that is flaking easily. Of course as I get better, i should have better resukts on harder, thicker rock. But as a beginner my struggle usually centered around tool control due to needing too much pressure. Once I started heating my own rock  and consistently getting easier working rock I noticed my flaking improve and my notches are getting narrower.

George, your notch looks fine, but I would widen it a little at the start. Another thing is the tool you are using might be sliding off the edge and causing your notch to stall. Try a softer nail (horseshoe nail) or flattened copper nail. JMO

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 11:42:49 am »
OK, thanks you guys.  That ice pick is pretty hard, I had to hammer the tar out of it to get it flat enough to use.  I do know that thinner points are much easier to notch.  This point fought me bad, and there's a hump just lower than mid-point that I could not get out.  A flake absolutely would not run there.  Consequently, the point is heavy at 159gr.  The base, however it about the thickness I usually get, though I could have made an additional pass and thinned it more.

John (and others), I need you to show how platforms are set up while notching.  I have no idea how to adjust a platform once I have the notch started, or what tool you'd use in there.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 06:26:38 pm »
OK let's talk tools. I have a lot of pressure flakers so I can change or replace tips and never have to stop and sharpen one during a sitting.  The copper is from grounding wire and is twisted to harden it.  The tips are hammered to harden and sharpen.  The following photos show the tools replacement tips and how I make then the exact Length.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 06:31:44 pm »
I use the copper to make my hunting points.  The horse shoe anil I use for real detailed work.  The following are photo the will show you how I work thicker stuff but first I have to go to the garage and work some scrap as a demo.