Author Topic: G notching demo  (Read 10561 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: G notching demo
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:00 pm »
It was raining so hard last night that I didn't want to deal with the noise off the metal roof in the shop and didn't do a thing.  It has been raining ever since about 10pm.  The pool is overflowing and the back yard is a lake.  Thank God, we were sooooooo dry.  Hope it fills lake Lavon back up.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 07:55:34 pm »
I have been working to make matched points so I have this one ready to notch.  My wife did not want to video for me while I knap so I am teching my 11 year old to do it. 

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:58 pm »
OK I made the video but I have to wait till morning before I can get to a place to up load it.  Here is a picture of the point. Remember it is a hunting point so the notches are not deep.   In the video I am being real careful so I am slowly adding more and more pressure so you will see a lot of pressure flaking with no flakes releasing at times and at other times I am abrading with the tool.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2012, 11:09:58 am »
I have been trying to make a matched set of hunting points for next year and was surprised by what I saw this morning after finishing my notching so I thought I would share these pictures. 

Offline iowabow

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 12:06:39 pm »

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 03:30:39 pm »
Wow, 2 points, different rock, same shape, identical weights!  Nothing wrong with your ability to reproduce a point, that's for sure.  Very nice.

Hmm, watching the videos was interesting.  A couple things jump out at me right away.  First, your point is half the thickness and quite a bit wider than mine typically are.  Second, I'm pushing much harder on the point than you.  Perhaps those 2 are related?  I did try to use the notching tool to abrade and alter the platform on one point and the notch stalled right there instantly.  I'll have to work on that.  I've been depending on the previous flake to have moved the edge below centerline.  When it doesn't the notch stalls.  I think I'll make a second notching tool of a more rectangular shape.  I'm not sure the shape of mine is optimum.  I'll take some debitage and do some practice notching again.

I have a set of diamond needle files on order, couldn't find any locally.

Thanks again John,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 09:44:36 pm »
I've got a long way to go...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 10:02:20 pm »
Nothing wrong with that one. Take it hunting Gus.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 10:14:57 pm »
I agree Gus, that'll work. If you have time when you're up here we can make some gravel before you head home.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 11:43:39 pm »
That point looks good, keep making more.   The points I first started hunting with looked a lot like that one and your looks a lot better than a lot of native points I own. 

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2012, 12:38:53 am »
Thank You Fells...

I've been watching and trying to learn... :)
Just finished a steel notcher, (after this point was done of course...) made from a 1800's ventage square nail this evening.
Seems to be pretty good, had some success notching another chunk of that Agate.

George, sounds good to me.
I'm Making a solo trip up that way this time, so time shouldn't be so tight.
The Family is staying home this go round.
Something about me leaving them to their own designs at my Uncle's place while I go "RUN-N-OFT" wood cutting...

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to it.

The Wood Cutting, that is...  ::)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2012, 09:39:08 am »
Well, my notching is one step forward and 2 steps back it seems.  I knocked these 2 out last night, didn't do well on my thinning and stalled the notches in both.  Had to scramble to get something usable in both of them.  Actually notched the larger point with indirect percussion, it was really hard stone.

Thankfully, I think they'll be good hunting points.  The smaller one on the left is 130gr and the larger is 137gr.  On a good note, that larger point was solid coretex on one side and very thin.  For a change I was able to run flakes far enough to get it all off.  Wasn't able to thin the base well on either point though.  I think that's a lot of my problem with notching.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2012, 10:26:08 am »
I would be proud of both and both would take deer.   You do keep getting better but not all points are going to be great.  Even the best knappers have points they are not happy with.  The one on the right has good notches and if it were mine I would not want them any deeper because it makes them weak.  I make mine stall out so they don't cut my sinew.  If I were making a different style I would use a different technique than you saw in the video.  In the video I make the notch just wide enough to go in just deep enough.  The thicker the stone the wider I have to make a notch to get it to be deep.  Kinda like a ratio in my head.  I have arrowheads made from native people that are very thick and the notches are real wide. I think in 2 weeks you will be real good at the notching thing.  Keep burning up the scrap with notches.  I think I saw tower post a picture once of a flake just covered with notch practice.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2012, 10:59:15 am »
Your points are better than these natives. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 04:06:36 pm »
Good point, perspective is everything.  Having copper and steel tools is an advantage as well.  I never have to stall my notches though, they seem to take care of that on their own.  I do need to practice more, but I get bored doing it real quick.  I can do about one debitage flake worth of notches and then I start a point.  I'll keep at it.   Thanks for the help.

George
St Paul, TX