Author Topic: G notching demo  (Read 10360 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: G notching demo
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2012, 11:45:24 pm »
I went to the shop and chipped out 2 more points tonight.  Also did one flakes worth of notching practice, but it didn't go well.  I broke the flake twice.  Fortunately, I didn't break either point.  The first one went well, but it came out larger and thicker than I'd have liked.  It has a little concrete in the point that fought me all the way.  In the end it weighed in at almost 180 gr.  It's a biggie.   If I want to hunt with it I'll have to knock off the base and renotch it to get the weight down.  Then, I picked up a piece of debitage and knocked out a little point under 70gr.  Didn't get the symmetry right, didn't notice it until I saw the picture.  Interestingly, the base is as wide as the sides. 

The notches are still weak, but I'm not stressing over it.  Here's this weeks points so far.  Fun time.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2012, 12:25:44 am »
180 grn.  40 lbs & 20 yds = lethal pass! W/ a well placed shot.   Great points. Debitage can be boring , but it helps me to notch. Try differant approaches, into, straight down, pull down, into & down. It all helps me. Side to side then down,& down then side to side. Thin thick try it all. Knap-on!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2012, 09:55:48 am »
Hey those look good! Nice work could easily take game with those. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!