Author Topic: What's Your Day Job?  (Read 55416 times)

Offline _Jon_

Re: What's your day job?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 11:10:09 am »
Joined the US Army in 1977, and retired in 1999.  I was an Airborne Infantry Pathfinder.  After retirement at Fort Campbell and the 101st I went to work for a Police Department for 7 years.  Now I'm retired raising two children we adopted.  My wife and I are full time foster parents for kids in need now days along with raising our own children. 

Mostly  I work at Twin Oaks Bow Hunters for Pappy and President Anthony on weekends.   :D 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:35:04 am by _Jon_ »
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 11:13:23 am »
Great thread Clintster. I sit on my butt all day staring at metal stamping die sets on AutoCAD. Most of that time is spent here and scheming about what Im working when I get home! Shhh...dont tell the boss man.

I spent 2 years in a machine trades vocational school when I was younger.  I thought I was going to be a machinist.  Somehow I ended up working with poop  ;D 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:11 am »
Good choice buddy! Metal stamping isnt what it once was in our country. Poop cant be recycled by Mexico or China. No offense to our Mexican and Chinese members whatsoever.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 11:25:26 am »
Good thread- I wondered what some other people on here do.  I am an account manager for a chemical company.  We sell chemicals to refineries, personal care companies (soaps, shampoos, lotions, etc), pharmaceuticals, coatings (paints) among other industries.  I've been doing this about half my life now, started when I was 16.  Like Clint/Bear, had very different plans, but it pays the bills so I can't complain.  ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 11:28:43 am »
I am a Back woods country boy weather folks like it or not !!
You can take the boy out of the woods but you can not take the woods out of the boy !
I have been showing up at Dutch Made Custom Cabinetry for 25yrs to do the maintenance work for them and they keep paying me so my wife is fine with that ! We do some rather interesting things and that helps me to stay at it !
I love the Lord and thank him daily for all he has done for me !
I sure do enjoy you folks and the time spent on PA !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Stoker

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 11:58:11 am »
Drywall for 30 years. Just was gonna help Dad for the summer ::)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 12:12:43 pm »
Drafter.  I draw blueprints for the construction of machines used in oil fields.  Also a bit of engineering work, construction supervision, and quality control.

And can't forget professional coffee drinker.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 12:23:51 pm »
  I don't work any regure jobs persay anymore. I do have a guy that owns rental probertys I maintance for part time. I'm a certfied welder That I've did for the most part for 30 years mostly part time. I have 2 welding shops I help out when they have to much fabercating to get done. Again only a few times a month.
  Other than the 2 of my own farms I manage. I manage 2 to others. Really 3 I just got another last winter in IOWA. But don't thing I can work it in and the guy that both the farm lives here in WV but wants someone closer. Put I am going to put in for a tag and buck hunt it next fall. I have a gingsang bissness going and have dug and planted sang since my early teens. I dig 6 to 12,000 dollors a year plus 1 or 2,000 dollors of wild I dig a year.
  I build bows,arrows sell staves,shoots. All of this alows me to take a 3 months a year vacation a year to BUCK hunt and a month for gobblers. When I was younger I worked 9 summers for my brother. He had a sercurety companty bissness and I got to go to alot of different countrys and we worked for big companys as well as goverments. And made some major money now I don't get rich  but liveing like this lets me live at my own leisure with out fear of dieing. I end joy the slower life.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »
Great thread Clintster. I sit on my butt all day staring at metal stamping die sets on AutoCAD. Most of that time is spent here and scheming about what Im working when I get home! Shhh...dont tell the boss man.

I spent 2 years in a machine trades vocational school when I was younger.  I thought I was going to be a machinist.  Somehow I ended up working with poop  ;D

Well here's your oppurtunity to stop working in a crap hole n live your dream being a machinist. You can move out my way n get a job where I work..they're looking for a horizontal boring mill operator. Then on your off time u n I can play with our wood  >:D....hmm that didn't quite sound right :laugh:....n don't forget to bring all that yeller wood when ya move ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 01:08:23 pm »
I've been a real estate broker since 1990 but have been doing manual labor for a landscape maintainence company for the last 3 years. I worked for the landscape company 18 years ago and the hired me back 3 years ago. Before that I was a factory trained Johnson/Evarude outboard mechanic working for different companies around Hilton Head Is. SC or working for myself. I've been semi retired since I got out of High school!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 01:27:23 pm »
I am old so have had many day jobs:  Paratrooper/skydiver, ranch hand, rodeo rider, guide/outfitter in Wyo., teacher/wrestling coach, pipeline welder, training coordinator for plumbers & steamfitters in Oregon, retired, ranch patrol, professional BSer!  Have seen many changes in our country in all those years! 
A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Parnell

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 01:33:49 pm »
I get to enjoy the company of 75 wonderful teenagers on a daily basis and teach them all about Human Anatomy & Physiology. 
I got it pretty darn good with my deal and having enough time off to still be human.

I'm also a full time back messager for my wife and run leader/poop picker upper to my two dogs as well as personal chef to these wonderful beings.
1’—>1’

Offline aaron

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 01:57:26 pm »
I manage an interpretive center in a state park at the mouth of the Columbia river. I do tons of maintenance work, but the fun part is interpretation- Talks, guided hikes, demonstrations, etc... The place focuses on history, especially lewis and clark, but i slip in primitive skills whenever possible. Later this week i am doing a one hour primitive skills demo in a local brewpub.
I have also held the following jobs: Deconstructionist, street juggler, door-to-door salesman, after dinner speaker.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 02:08:17 pm »

Well here's your oppurtunity to stop working in a crap hole n live your dream being a machinist. You can move out my way n get a job where I work..they're looking for a horizontal boring mill operator. Then on your off time u n I can play with our wood  >:D....hmm that didn't quite sound right :laugh:....n don't forget to bring all that yeller wood when ya move ;)

Thanks for the offer, but I like my little crap hole job.  I think I have one of the most secure jobs out there.  As long as indoor plumbing remains popular, I'll have a job.  Also, we are tied in with the state retirement system.  Only 19 more years to go.  :(    And I would miss out on all the fun stuff like watching a boiler explode, seeing a 20' geyser of sludge, and watching a guy take apart a pressurized pipe and instantly turn brown  >:D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 02:36:24 pm »
Telephone repairman for the last 14 years. keeps me outside looking for supplies and trying to find reasons to trim certain trees  ;D.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis