Author Topic: What's Your Day Job?  (Read 56008 times)

Offline DLH

Re: What's your day job?
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2012, 06:47:25 pm »
Load trucks for the big brown machine called UPS

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2012, 08:57:55 am »
Supervisor in a cotton mill.
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2012, 06:03:12 pm »
Did you decide on the Air Force? Congratulations, Dictionary.
Doug from Missouri

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2012, 11:29:38 pm »
I have a short list of previous occupations. Licensed plumber (10 years), Pipe fitter, Millwright, Welder,  tool and die repair, machinist, fabricator to name a few. Currently driving a desk as a maintenance planner/scheduler for a global automotive casting company that casts, machines, and assembles parts for GM, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota. Oh yeah, I also ran a waste water plant, but it was process water waste from machinary, no turds. I did, however, chase a few turds as a plumber back in the day. :-X  Great thread here. A big thank you and God bless to all you guys that served. Nothing but respect for you.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2012, 03:58:51 pm »
I've been playing in the mud (digging clay and making handmade pottery)  for a living full time since '84. I've always worked with my hands.(wasn't as good with academics)
payed my way through 3 years of college doing leather work and selling the pottery made in ceramics classes and lived on a food budget of 35.00 a month.
My wife and i started together 34 years ago, homeless and migrant working,living out of the back of an old chevy luv pick-up with hoops over the bed, where we'd put a canvas over for the night. We worked orchards to ranch jobs and simply camped out winter months in the desert making small pots to sell for grocery money. Still making pottery by coil method and firing in wood fired adobe kiln, though I use electric kiln now the most for work that is more colorful. I'm care-taking our 120 acres, volunteer Wyandot language teaching adults and in the public school for 7 years and pre-school at the Wyandotte Nation pre-school as well. Involved in Wyandot cultural revitalization,and active in Longhouse ceremonies. I'm actually a loner and enjoy it, don't socialize THAT much...I write Wyandot songs for children, and learning the old social dance songs, to sing at traditional social dance gatherings when i venture off the property.
The challenge for me is to be completely at home on the land, make things from gathered materials close by, trying not to use resources that are too far off.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Matt B

« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2012, 08:20:33 pm »
I build huge crates to ship freight elevator doors in (occasionally do work on them also). We're the largest freight elevator door company in the world, we have doors in every military or government building that needs them in the US (including the pentagon [i remember doing a repair for that job a few years ago]) white house,  military bases, new WTC, airports, post offices, all the way down to walmarts and grocery stores.

We also do work world wide, the United Arab Eremites seems to like building new building and buying our doors. Also places like Petronas Towers and thousands of building throughout the world.

Theres usually 2 parts to a door, right now we have a job that one piece weighs 1250lbs. All doors are fire rated to I believe 1.5 hours at least (should see them be tested, these thousand pound doors warping, twisting and melting in an extreme heat oven  :)

I go through litterally tonnes of wood a week, sadly, it is all economy crap, I think one day if I happen to stumble across a long piece with straight grain I'll see if I can't make a bow out of it, Most likely will end in failure, but fun none the less!

update: I now assemble the doors after they are welded and painted ie. install windows, company logo, protecting rubber strip and other labels

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2012, 09:30:34 pm »
Dairy farmer been doing it forever family farm.Has great benefits trout stream runs on it & great hunting & trapping.
Rob

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2012, 12:03:08 am »
I don't know Rob, my in-laws were dairy farmers.  They worked harder than anyone I've ever known and only very rarely got a day off from it.  I will say that the fresh cream sure made great tasting homemade ice cream. :)  I'm glad you're in a great spot.  Hunting and fishing would make it much more bearable.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2012, 09:55:58 pm »
Worked construction for 15 years then farmed for 20.Now my job being retired is staying out of trouble and enjoying life.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline hector orlando

« Reply #174 on: December 22, 2012, 02:18:56 am »
hearth pads,witch involves setting tile ,and brick.we are the number one on this company producing custom pads ,we made one special pad for one of the guys on the tv show gold rush

Grunt

« Reply #175 on: December 22, 2012, 10:36:40 pm »
I've been a lot of things. Deck hand, Roadie, Ski Bum, Tipi Maker, Beach Bum, Logger, Cabin Builder, Combat Grunt, Oil Field Welder, Buckskinner, Motorcycle Maniac, Teacher, Woodturner, Sculptor, and Sundancer. There are a few more but some are illegal.

Offline bow101

« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2012, 07:18:09 pm »
Rite now I do Nada..! Done almost every job under the sun. Chronic low back pain.. :( :( :(   and unempolyed.  Funny thing I noticed a lot areas have tons of manufacturing, here we have not much.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:31:27 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #177 on: December 25, 2012, 03:50:02 am »
Bow101, I hope you beat the cancer!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline ncpat

« Reply #178 on: December 25, 2012, 01:29:12 pm »
Self employed electrician. I dabble in archery when I have time. Have loved it since I was 10 years old. If time & money were no object, I would restore light fixtures, restore ceiling fans, make bows & arrows, restore guns, learn blacksmithing & learn woodworking.
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline ncpat

« Reply #179 on: December 26, 2012, 10:28:37 am »
Own a pest control company....I can say I really love my job.....most people don't understand. ;D

A paid killer.  ;D
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.