Author Topic: What's Your Day Job?  (Read 55429 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What's your day job?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 06:24:06 pm »
We've had other turd herders here also.     
  It is interesting to see all the varied occupations. Who wouda thunk!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 06:38:33 pm »
One thing I've noticed about Waste Water Treatment plants when I'm at one is you guys seem to have plenty of tomatoes for your sandwiches. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 06:48:42 pm »
One thing I've noticed about Waste Water Treatment plants when I'm at one is you guys seem to have plenty of tomatoes for your sandwiches. :D

Drying beds grow BIG tomatoes  ;D

One thing I forgot to mention about my job is the location.  The plant is in a big valley that is surrounded by housing and an intersate.  It is like a little nature preserve.  I see turkeys and deer on a daily basis while I'm working.  During the spring, the turkeys will chase our cars and us as we walk through the parking lot.  I watched a coyote trail a doe across a hillside the other evening.  A fox stopped and dropped a pile right underneath one of our security cameras one day.  I walk the property on slow evenings and find sheds.  I found a primitive drill point at one of our smaller plants.  I even got permission to remove a nuisance hickory tree a couple of years ago.  Its nice to enjoy nature while you work.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 06:51:47 pm »
High School English Teacher that teaches The Hobbit every year!
can i join your class ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 07:01:07 pm »

Drying beds grow BIG tomatoes  ;D

One thing I forgot to mention about my job is the location.  The plant is in a big valley that is surrounded by housing and an intersate.  It is like a little nature preserve.  I see turkeys and deer on a daily basis while I'm working.  During the spring, the turkeys will chase our cars and us as we walk through the parking lot.  I watched a coyote trail a doe across a hillside the other evening.  A fox stopped and dropped a pile right underneath one of our security cameras one day.  I walk the property on slow evenings and find sheds.  I found a primitive drill point at one of our smaller plants.  I even got permission to remove a nuisance hickory tree a couple of years ago.  Its nice to enjoy nature while you work.

You can't get much closer to Nature than a WWTP. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2012, 07:50:51 pm »
Maint. man for my county.  They even gave me a truck ! Unfortunately, no hogs to hunt, Mullet style   '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline sonny

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 08:16:31 pm »
inside sales at a plumbing supply. it ain't glamorous but it keeps gas in my truck during hunting season.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline bubby

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2012, 08:21:00 pm »
I was a gen. enginering contractor for around 25 years specializing in swimming pool's and decorative concrete, now i work night's in facility maintenance for the county, guess I'm a turd herder in a way, just a little closer to the finished product than you wwt guy's, also do maint. on some rentals, used to ride saddle bronc horses and bull's, taught Kenpo and Tae Quan Do for several years too. all i know is with two art. knees buy 48 yrs old i needed to get into something a little easyer on the body, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2012, 08:40:10 pm »
  I was looking through the posts and notice Pappy and I have similar backgrounds. truck mechanic most of the last 44 years spent about 10 years of that as a fleet manager and the majority of that as a working foreman. Next week I retire!!!! 9 days from now!

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2012, 09:16:47 pm »
I am a Machinist.  CNC and manual machines....I do it all.  I work in a job shop machine shop/heavy fabrication shop.  As I tell folks...I make smaller things from big things....sometimes really big things.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2012, 09:19:38 pm »
I seperate the floaters from the sinkers on Siesta Key off Sarasota. It's a 2MGD plant that's old and outdated so it keeps you on your toes for sure. I'm running it till they take it off line in a few years.If anyone thinks rich peoples poop don't stink come on out and I'll let ya judge for yourself........... :o
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2012, 10:34:31 pm »
worked for penske truck leasing worked on transport refrigaration now work in plastic recyleing plant as maintance supervisor and train the maintance crew. we recyle about 5 million pounds of plastic a month.
bryan irwin

Offline stickbender

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2012, 10:46:02 pm »
I've noticed that we have a lot of interesting people on this site.  I think most of us are evening bowyers and have to work a normal job.  I was just curious as to what kind of different jobs everyone has here.  Just from reading posts I know we have teachers, truck drivers, museum staff, and more.  I'm not sure what exactly Mullet does, but I know I want to apply  ;D  Any job where you get to run down wild hogs sounds good to me. 

You don't have to name a specific company or anything.  I will go first.  I work night shift at a large wastewater treatment plant.  We treat 36 million gallons a day.  It's an easy job, but when things go bad, they go really bad  :o
::)     Sooooo....... when things really go bad, you can say S@#t!!!, and the other people will know immediately what you are yelling about? !!
So Bone pile you mean you work at a sewer trout farm? :o :P
Oh indeed Rich People's previous meals don't smell any better than anyone else's!  Money don't change that! ;)  So you guys and Dana have a lot in common . ;)  Can you guys still eat a "Baby Ruth" bar? ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline lowell

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2012, 11:48:17 pm »
I'm a paint contractor...used to paint barns, houses , inside and out but don't paint as much big stuff as I used to. 

Right now I'm getting close to putting 100 gallons in a new house.

Paint all day and make wood shavings and saw dust in the evenings!!  8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2012, 11:48:54 pm »
I'm a welding instructor, 14 years, pressure vessels before that.  Laid off from a sweet high school welding teacher position in 2010, work part time @ two different community college campus. Right now I am qualifying welds for an AWS D1.1 certification.  One of my jobs is going into factories and evaluating welders and developing a program to get them certified in what they need.  I been married 11 years and have two boys, 7 and 4, and I have a septic tank that was installed in 1991, but I live on a dead end road and have a state forest @ my back door and very few neighbors, but the ones I have I know.  Makes for a fine upbringing for my two little hillbilly boys.  ;) derik gratz   
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)