Author Topic: What's Your Day Job?  (Read 55353 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: What's your day job?
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2012, 10:13:07 pm »
back to college chasing a biology degree, then running the hatchery in the world's largest (at that time) indoor tilapia farm,

I need some fingerlings for my aquaculture farm in the greenhouse.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2012, 01:02:52 am »
I'm a Physical Therapist in home health.  So I torture people all day lol.  I enjoy being out in rural south Alabama driving house to house.  I usually work 5-8 hours per day.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2012, 02:36:27 am »
I work in the bush doing every thing from soil sampling, to line cutting, to burning piles of slash, to climbing trees and cutting them down piece by piece, core cutting...... and so on.  you can kind of call me a jack of all trades, or you can just call me a laborer:( lol.   but the pay is good and i get to be outdoors...... nothing better
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2012, 01:44:40 pm »
i along with my brother have a small construction-remodeling business and I have a part-time taxidermy business.Usually work about 9 months out of the year and spend the other 3 doing things I love to do.
life is good!!!!!have a great day==Lloyd

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2012, 03:10:41 am »
I have been a police officer for 23 years now....    At the end of every day, there is no work product to see.  You do what you can to help and you sift through face after face, situation after situation....  and tomorrow will be somebody else's troubles to deal with, all over again....   Wood working helps....  when I finish a bow and build an arrow that hits the target like it's supposed to..  Well that is something you can see that you did that day and it satisfies.       

Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2012, 07:40:48 pm »
Interesting thread. I'm a teacher in a federal prison. Actually, I'm not in the classroom anymore. I'm the GED tester for our place and do a bunch of other testing. I'm also the literacy coordinator who puts people in class. I do a bunch of testing and a bunch of computer/paperwork. I'm still officially a teacher, though. I asked for a snappy new title, but my supervisor vetoed the idea.

I've done a bunch of stuff through the years: infantryman in the Army, Storekeeper/Master at Arms in the Naval Reserves, private security, high school history teacher, corrections officer (state and feds), and taught juvenile delinquents for the state.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:47:01 pm by PepeLep »
Doug from Missouri

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2012, 07:43:55 pm »
Past careers have included the US Army (infantryman, then chaplain's assistant and oboist) for a total of 9 years between RA, NG and AR, messenger, and some other not so fun dead-end jobs. I can't forget my first job as paperboy growing up in LA.

Hey, Dane! Long time, no see.
Doug from Missouri

Offline TRACY

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2012, 09:41:59 pm »
Good thread. Went to college and got a degree for conservation law enforcement and spent a few years trying to get a job with little luck- low turnover. Went back to college and got a degree in wildlife science and spent the next 15 years working with just about every wildlife species in the states. I specialized in nuisance wildlife issues, mostly whitetail deer, Canada geese, coyotes, and beavers. Kicking myself for not collecting rock to knap in may travels. Most of my time was spent removing whitetails in urban areas in the Northeast and upper Midwest. I still do some nuisance work for landowners for fun and hunting access. Four years ago I decided to become a Science Teacher and wish I would have done it 20 years ago! I really enjoy working with middle and high school students on a daily basis. I think I learn as much from my students as they do from me. Like others, I have worked a variety of factory jobs, landscaping, arborists, and even pizza delivery.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Weylin

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2012, 01:50:59 am »
I'm a Montessori teacher for 3-6 year olds. I just started my own classroom this fall at a great little school here in Portland. I love my job, I know I'm not going to get rich doing it but it's amazing being able to have such a huge positive impact on people at such a critical time in their lives. There is so much going on in these kids heads, it's amazing. My wife's a public school teacher but she will be taking the Montessori teacher training for the elementary level so she can earn her master's degree too. I have a 2 1/2 year old son who just started going to the school where I teach. When I 'm not working or spending time with my family I practice Aikido and make a mess of our kitchen trying to make bows.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2012, 05:36:48 pm »
Well, I am self employed and own Whidbey Island Soap Company. We make bath and skincare products in the Northwest not too far from Seattle, WA. Been doing this for over 12 years now and I can't say as I will ever go back to a day job again. Work 10 times harder than I have when working for someone else but its very satisfying.

I can literally say i come home "Smelling like a Rose!"  ;D :o 8)

Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline stickbender

« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2012, 05:47:53 am »

Tiller, do you make any soap with "Dragon's Blood" in it?  It is made from the sap from a Palm, in Brazil, call "Draco".  It is fantastic smelling, and is like an aroma therapy oil.  I get the soap, locally, but it is made in New Mexico, by the Cherokee soap company.  Problem, is it is very expensive, and they make it when they feel like it. : )  Also do you make any soap with sandalwood?  thanks, and keep your eye on the Mainland, they might try to cross over! ;)

Wayne

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2012, 12:31:53 am »
Never tried the Draco oil. Sound inter resting! Have a sandalwood soap but it is A fragrance oil. Sandalwood is getting way to expensive as an essential oil. Too bad since I like it a lot!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline vabowyer

« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2012, 01:02:18 am »
I do background investigations for government security clearances.

Jamie

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2012, 01:30:59 pm »
I have had a few, but the latest job is coding for emergency department accounts.  I code it so it can be be billed out to the insurance.

Have been coding for 6 years or so, was also in billing for awhile, and have worked some other crap end jobs.

Nothing that I had planned on after high school.  I was looking at military but they didn't want me, was going to do cooking school, but couldn't afford the tuition without help, and no help.  So I moved away from home, moved half way across the country, now married, have a son and another child due in under 2 months. 

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2012, 10:25:07 am »
I worked fast-food in high school. Drop out end of my senior year. Bucked hay that summer, and some mobile home handy man work. Went to Job Corps for two year to be a carpenter. They got me a job working for a Fedral Drilling crew out of Boise, Idaho, covering Nevada and The Northwest. There was a miss communication and I got fired over it after a month. Delivered pizza till my drivers license got suspend. Moved to Portland and pumped gas. Another missed communication. Day laborer for 6 month. Moved to Philomath were I live now got job working in Foster Home for DD. Behavior home. Been there about 11 years. Married the boss' daughter, Three kids and live happly ever after along as I can make bows in my free time. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley