Author Topic: What's Your Day Job?  (Read 55996 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: What's your day job?
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2012, 06:23:15 pm »
I'm a horiculturist specializing in native plants and also spend a lot of my time doing GIS mapping for the state of NC, and do a little freelance writing. In the past, I've done just about everything from farming to playing music on the road.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2012, 10:38:56 am »
I fly a desk and a pair of headphones for the Air Force. Spent 2 years learning Arabic in Monterey, CA, then 3 months in Texas learning a bunch of crap I can't tell people about, and now I passive-aggressively kill terrorists from the safety of the homeland.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »
Was pretty lazy in my youth , my folks wouldn't let me just "hang out" and strongly encouraged me to take any job I could find. I worked in hay fields, caught chickens and loaded them on trucks(worst job ever), lived in an $8 a week rooming house in Gatlinburg  during the summer when I was 16, bussed tables and washed dishes. Joined the Army at 19, got out and went to work in a power plant in the operations side.  Worked almost 30 years in various power plants, ended up as a mid level manager. Was sent home at age 52 when the company downsized. I had an adequate pension from working those 30 years so I abandoned power plants and shift work.

Been retired for 12 years, made a lot of bows, shoot a lot of traditional tournaments, learning to build flintlock rifles, garden and hunt. Like Pappy says" life is good".
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:11:54 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline kybow

« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2012, 06:51:18 pm »
I have a few (not all during the day!). My regular job is with Humana (insurance co) helping low income seniors apply for a state funded program that pays their Part B Medicare premium. I teach commercial photography at a local college 2 nights a week and shoot for Sophisticated Living (and I'm not sophisticated!), I also photography weddings and portraits when I can get them.

Chad

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2012, 10:51:15 pm »
mold, pattern and die welder
been doing it since i was 17
its been a fast 24 years
although i get to cherry pick some i let the young guys do the bull work and take the finiky stuff
i also do some  machining and play toolmaker on ocassion
plus some amatuer knife smithing and really amatuer bow building

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2012, 12:50:57 pm »
Senior Maintenance Technician at a 220+ employee, fully digital b&W and color printing (and all that goes along with it) facility. Most of what we do is print on demand now. It's my job to keep the machines running and take care of the building. We also do software, web hosting solutions, and if you call to order a Deere (and some CAT) book, you talk to an operator in our building. They call all this stuff "media" these days. Been here 27 years now. That's a little over half my life! whew!

Offline NimRand

• USAF Retired (Displaced Michigander)
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2012, 06:48:59 am »
In my pre-high school graduation days, I labored for my Dad. He was a brick layer. After High School I joined the Air Force, starting off in the bomb dumb as a BB Stacker and Munitions Inspector. I then crossed trained as a Weather Observer, eventually going to school to be a Weather Forecaster. After 24 years I retired, if you can call it that.  I did the retiree swinging door thing, coming back as a contractor at the Weather Systems Help Desk. I got rolled a couple of years ago into the Federal Service as Air Force Civilian.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2012, 10:12:47 am »

My life evolves around bucks and gobblers, making bows,arrows and everything else evils around primitive archery hunting. To much to list. Manage a few farms for deer and turkeys and grow ginsang that allows me to do this 12 months a year.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Chassit

« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2012, 08:22:54 pm »
I am a NOC technician for a wireless ISP.
Danno from Colorado

A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir

Offline AngelDeVille

• Internet Archer
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2012, 08:46:16 pm »
Opthalmic surgical tech
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline chuck

« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2012, 05:34:26 am »
I'm a medical/surgical nurse, but it's a night job not days.

Offline Matt B

« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2012, 07:58:22 pm »
I build huge crates to ship freight elevator doors in (occasionally do work on them also). We're the largest freight elevator door company in the world, we have doors in every military or government building that needs them in the US (including the pentagon [i remember doing a repair for that job a few years ago]) white house,  military bases, new WTC, airports, post offices, all the way down to walmarts and grocery stores.

We also do work world wide, the United Arab Eremites seems to like building new building and buying our doors. Also places like Petronas Towers and thousands of building throughout the world.

Theres usually 2 parts to a door, right now we have a job that one piece weighs 1250lbs. All doors are fire rated to I believe 1.5 hours at least (should see them be tested, these thousand pound doors warping, twisting and melting in an extreme heat oven  :)

I go through litterally tonnes of wood a week, sadly, it is all economy crap, I think one day if I happen to stumble across a long piece with straight grain I'll see if I can't make a bow out of it, Most likely will end in failure, but fun none the less!

Offline Patches

« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2012, 03:33:01 pm »
I used to be a land manager (managed 15000 acres of public ground), now I work with Federal Farm Programs and help people restore and manage wetlands on private ground.  I was a butcher all through college, which comes in handy in butchering deer and bison. 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Postman

« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2012, 11:32:20 pm »
From Pittsburgh, now in western VA teaching high school biology (13 years) after a checkered career as a pizza slinger and ruby tuesday restaurant cog. Have worked golf courses, fruit orchards, and even painted high structures...for 20 minutes.

"how much does that guy down there mixing paint make? I'll do THAT."
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline TRACY

« Reply #164 on: October 09, 2012, 07:38:51 am »
Very broad range of careers on the site. Good to see another science teacher and career changer!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956