Author Topic: Cane arrows  (Read 7247 times)

Offline Mike W

Cane arrows
« on: August 12, 2007, 10:35:48 pm »
I am in the process of making my first batch of cane arrows using tonkin cane. I have straightened them using heat, as well as filed down the nodes. I recently read an article in PA where an individual sanded down the outside of his cane arrows. It this something that should be done, or is it optional. If so, what are the pro's and con's to each.
Mike W
McKinney, TX

Offline david w.

Re: Cane arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 11:49:47 pm »
if you get good at working tonkin cane  start makin flyrods from it :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 12:01:39 am »
Hi Mike,
I'm not a real expert at cane/ bamboo shafting, ( yet) but I have made a few.  I've left them natural with the waxy skin left on ( pretty and a water resistant finish all by itself ) and some that I've sanded.  They seem to shoot well either way.  Currently I scrape/ sand all my bamboo and cane shafts to bring them to the same physical weight so I have matched sets for three D contests.  Matching physical weight also brings most shafts to roughly the same spine weight.  Sanded shafts need a finish if they will be used in the rain.
If your planning some hunting arrows, especially if your planning close shots, perfectly matched sets are probably less important to you, and not sanding would be easier.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 12:39:35 am »
I've seen them done both ways. For me, I like them as natural as possible. ;D I don't sand the nodes either. I heat them and roll them against a hard surface to compress them. The node is the weak point on a cane arrow and I want to maintain as much strength as possible.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 07:01:40 pm »
There is not much compressing with Tonkin.That boo is almost solid.Almost all the boo arrows Chris cade has been making is Tonkin.He is fast becoming the guru when it comes to using that species.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mike W

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:48:45 pm »
Thanks for the info Ron, Pat, and Mullet. I think I will leave the outside natural, except for the nodes I filed down. I hope to hunt with some of these cane arrows later when the season arrives.
Mike W
McKinney, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 10:54:55 pm »
A word of caution, don't file the nodes too much.You can get a major failure there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 11:03:11 pm »
                                  As said above about the nodes. Also, the power fibres are are on the outside of the cane so dont sand em' too much..................bob

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 06:12:10 pm »
Yes, they are right.  Do not file the nodes down too much or it will weaken the joint, making it more susceptible to breakage if the arrow glances off something hard.  I used to scrape the joints down even with the rest of the shaft, but then several of them broke when they were shot, glanced off something and were torqued sideways.  Now I just scrape them to smooth them up a little bit, but there still is a bump there, so they maintain their strength.  I've had much less breakage since then.

Marietta, Georgia

deerstand

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 04:41:03 pm »
i dont mess with the nodes until after i have cut my knocks, and then because i shoot off a floppy rest on my knuckle i only dress down the side that contacts my rest. it still leaves plenty of strength around the joint. 

Offline Mike W

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 08:39:37 am »
Thanks for all the input. I hope to have some finished for the upcoming deer season.
Mike W
McKinney, TX