Author Topic: "Tennese Hickory Comes To Michigan"  (Read 35677 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: "Tennese Hickory Comes To Michigan"
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2007, 01:42:00 pm »
Comments on bow only, I know my form is horrible, my left shoulder is a mess after season I may see about getting it fixed :-\
of course it was a surgeon that messed it up >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2007, 01:43:43 pm »
I was talking about the bow anyway ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mamba

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2007, 08:57:38 pm »
Dana ,looking good.If it were mine I would reduce the width on the upper limb,not the thickness the width  10-12 inches to the nock (to get that limb to catch up with the other).My 2cents worth anyways,I like hickory.
Ray/NY

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2007, 12:03:45 am »
Lookin good Dana, so whats the verdict on hickory? I haven't tried it yet.
VB

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2007, 06:17:37 am »
Look pretty dang good to me.You can sand it but kind of use the edges the cambin is usually in little groves and you don't want to take to much off.Sometimes that will happen if you just sand it flat.I use Tru oil.But and have had good luck but I don't guess it matters and long as it is something that will seal out as much moisture as possible.If you haven't done it already I would put it back on the form and heat treat the belly before I shot it much more and the fine tune the
tiller if you want.It really don't look bad as is.You got to remember it ant fiberglass it's wood.Same
? as VB what do you think about Hickory now. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2007, 09:16:52 am »
I like Hickory very well it was easy to work and it shoots hard ;D Advice taken on the back Pappy.
If I toast the belly again do I have to oil it then cook it to a nice brown? Then by the time I scrape the
the belly clean again won't I be under weight?? Confused I am ??? ???
Thanks for the nice comments.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2007, 10:03:23 am »
Didn't know,should have followed closer that you already done it. No it will be fine
like it is.Looks good. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Dustybaer

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2007, 10:48:07 am »
i likes it  ;D

if you toast the belly, oil it a lot so it doesn't dry out and break.  why would you want to scrape the belly clean?  i think it looks really nice with the brownish shading.  it brings out the grain even better.  you could also give it a little reflex at this time.  it will pick up a little weight and speed.

here's a toasted belly i did:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2007, 12:08:29 pm »
I already reflexed it once after floor tillering, I think I will leave it alone as it shoots nice as is
and only 1" of set I'm not going to complain. probably will narrow the tips a hair after overlays are done.
The brides bow is on the long string will posts pics when its a bit further along.
I have to decide if I'm going to put rests on ??? I prefer shootin off the hand but theri beginners what do all think?

Manistique, MI

Offline sonny

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2007, 07:38:54 pm »
maybe just glue on a sliver of leather that's just thick enough to hold the arrow.
it's not much different from shooting off your hand,, sort of a compromise...
simply a suggestion.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2007, 08:02:03 pm »
A floppy arrow rest will be most like shooting off the hand.  It will stop the arrow from hitting their hand and make sure they grip the bow in the same place. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2007, 05:21:37 am »
Thanks persimmon and Justin, I think I will just sleep on it for a bit.
Have to finish tillering her bow anyway. Tip overlays on both also. Gonna use some of the buf horn from justin.

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2007, 09:57:31 am »
I haven't had much time to work on these bows, I have the tip overlays on Scotts and Sara's is almost tillered.
I want to name them and am looking for suggestions. So wondering if you folks can help.
Scott and Sara are both in the AirForce, both are in Iraq and will be getting married next summer. This will be Scotts first self bow and Sara's first bow of any type.

Come on guys and gals help me name them eh!

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2007, 10:22:51 am »
What about FlyHigh,no that would be a bad Oman for hunting even tho I do it a lot.
I will keep thinking.Glad to hear they are almost done.Can't wait to see the finished pictures. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2007, 10:41:10 am »
I usually always name the bows I make...actually they usually name themselves.  The bow I built to hunt with this still doesn't have a name. When the right name comes along, I will know.  Some examples of names I've used are: 
"Trouble Maker", because of all the trouble I had while making her.
"Marilyn", Osage bow colored with chlorox.
"Holy Moly", osage with a hole in her upper limb.
"O Yew Guys", aka "Yew Guys", originally boo backed yew, now with an osage belly lam added.
"Cinco de Mayo", I cant remember is if was finished on May 5 or I was drinking Carona when I finished.
"Skinny Minny", 72"x 1" wide hickory backed osage.
"Lil Bow", the 48" osage bendy handle bow I just posted the other day...
...and even my Treadway glass longbow, "First Blood", first trad bow kill.
And then, I have built some bows whose names I can't mention in mixed company! ;D      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC