Author Topic: Decisions decisions . . . Curvy hackberry--GIFTED, a Conversion Story:)  (Read 9346 times)

Offline k-hat

Re: Decisions decisions . . . FINALLY Got'r done- curvy hackberry
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 08:45:31 pm »
Thanks JW, it sat in my corner for months trying to decide if it wanted to be a bow.  Guess it made up it's mind ::)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 11:16:36 pm »
Very nice! That's a tough tiller when you have different limb entry points into the handle. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 11:24:47 pm »
Yes sir it is, and thanks Jawge!  I figured i was better off almost looking at each limb independently, and finishing in the hand was even more necessary for balancing.  yet another learning process not without mistakes!

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 02:27:04 am »
Nicely done, great challenge.

Offline k-hat

Re: Decisions decisions . . . Got'r done- curvy hackberry--GIFTED
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 03:47:41 pm »
Well, as mentioned previously, the intended recipient for this bow was the landowner who let me hack down a hackberry on his property.  We FINALLY were able to work out a meeting so I could orientate him properly on his new bow (he's been a died-in-the-wool wheelie bow guy).  Just had to share the experience:

I had sent him a couple of teaser pics when she was done and he had basically a "hey that's cool, looking forward to tryn it" kind of attitude (a little underwhelming for me).  But I was determined to follow thru on my promise.  We've talkd before when i showed him a different bow i had in progress and he basically saw a cool toy, didn't think it could do anything serious.  So I show up at his house Saturday morning and the process started:  "i can't believe how light it is, it's beautiful!".  I'm like "ok, good, at least it won't be lost on him, he can appreciate a good thing."  After a few shots (at short draw, better than overdraw!!), a transformation began.  "Wow! It really hits" he says.  I'll have to admit, she was really pounding them home, knocking over his heavy target at times.  Don't know that he ever pulled the full 50 lbs, but she was really performing nonetheless.  He asked questions and i informed, and every shot sunk the hook deeper and deeper >:D  Before I knew it, his "weekend toy" became a contender for more serious business, and then he was like "i know what i'm hunting with this season!!"  (opened yesterday round here in fact).  This is no little guy (full 29" draw, he's about 6'3", 200#, and fit), so it just cracked me up to actually hear this grown man GIGGLING about half-way into our session.  i half expected him to start jumping up and down in excitement (he may have when i wasn't looking).   He sounded like a 9 year old who just shot his first BB gun on Christmas day!!  He was perty good with this stick as well, he only missed once at the beginning, then struck kill shots on every last one.  He even backed it out to 30 yards and nailed it!  (I call that one The Clincher!).  He kept saying "what do I owe you?  I can't believe i love it so much!"  But as mentioned it was intended as a gift and it stayed that way :laugh: 

I wish I was a better storyteller, but to make a long story short: I think it's safe to say we have a new convert 8)    In fact, he went to cabela's shortly after I left and got over $200 worth of target and hunting arrows ;D

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Decisions decisions . . . Curvy hackberry--GIFTED, a Conversion Story:)
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2012, 04:14:26 pm »
I think you told that story just right. Way to go!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2012, 04:38:32 pm »
Yup, I love a good story.
And that's a good story
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 04:51:51 pm »
Wow, i love this design of bow, nice curves on it!

Cool story too, i guess this is a good example of how fast these primitive weapons hook people!

All in all awesome work  8)
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 05:06:08 pm »
Awe shux, thanks guys ;D  It was just too cool not to share!

He mentioned back in the summer maybe harvesting an osage together and having me make one for his dad for Christmas.  Too close now for this christmas, but I'm thinkin of offering to go a step further and teach him to make it himself for his dad for next Christmas or Father's day, that way wood will have time to season.  He seemd to wanna outdo his brothers and i think that'll do the trick lol

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 07:34:24 pm »
It's not too late to make an osage bow, just too late to use his wood.  You have one already started in my shop.  That stave is still yours if you want.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2012, 10:14:18 pm »
Good story, thanks for sharing that. Most wheelie guys that I run into are not the least bit interested in wood bows. You know the look they give you and about the only question they have is 'can ya kill a deer with that'. Good to hear your guy was thrilled, sometimes I
think if a person would just try it once they would find they like it. Nice work k-hat.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2012, 10:45:33 pm »
Thanks bent, and i agree, just give it a chance. 

George, i feel bad i haven't been able to make it out that way, especially as close as it is.  I'd still love to finish that baby up, but if you find a use for it before i do, feel free to go for it, I hate to make you hold onto it.  I plan on taking a day off a month this year from work, so maybe we can coordinate and get together.  i'll let you know when it's coming up for october:)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2012, 11:00:35 pm »
You've got to be kidding, do you remember how much osage was in my driveway?  I've cut wood since then too.  That stave will still be standing there at the end of the workbench.  Heaven forbid I should clean that shop. :o

George
St Paul, TX

Offline k-hat

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 01:08:49 am »
lol, alright then.  Looks like i'll have an osage hunting bow in my near future :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 01:45:28 am »
PM me your address.  I'll take a picture of the 3 bows in progress, you'll have to help me identify yours. :-[  I have another billet to send out and I can send them both at the same time.

George
St Paul, TX